Making the bed: When and Why?

@vivasuzi (4125)
Some people (my husband included) don't get why you would ever make the bed. They say "you're just going to mess it up anyway". Well I agree sometimes I disagree other times. Here are my reasons for when and why you must make the bed. Tell me when and why you make the bed or why you don't make it. -If no one is coming over, I will at least pull the blankets up and not worry about the neatness of it. Why? That way when I go to bed, it feels much warmer than if the blankets were down all day. -If people are coming over, I'll make it nice with the decrotive pillows and all. My husband would say "what are we giving a tour of the house?" and I'll say No, I just want it to look nice. Why? We got a very nice bedspread, pillows, and decrotive pillows at our wedding shower. What's the point of this nice stuff if no one sees it that way? Besides, I always assume someone will go into my room for some reason or other, so if people are over, I try to keep it made. What about you?
@ravinskye (8242)
The only time we make our bed is if people are coming over that have never seen our house before and they'll want a tour. I just never got in the habit of making the bed. My mom never really made us do it either.
@vivasuzi (4125)
My mom always made me make my bed, so I thought for sure I wouldn't want to once I moved out. However I found that if I don't at least pull the blankets up, the bed is freezing when I want to go to bed at night.
I or my wife always make the bed. We don't like keeping a messy bed, especially when we come back from my parents and we haven't done it it's a pain when your tired so keep it tidy. I don't always keep it "made" although it's never completely a mess. ~Joey
@raychill (6530)
I always make the bed. I'm really weird about it. It's like those things that have to be clean. I hate when my sink is full of dishes (though it happens like right now) and I hate when My sink is dirty in the bathroom and I hate when my bed is not made. When any of those things happen I feel like my room is a disaster. Plus my cat likes to sleep on my bed and he wouldn't like it unmade :)
@pyewacket (44036)
Well naturally if I know people are coming to visit me, I'll make my bed, but I have to admit most times I don't...actually a very good reason there. It seems every time I decide to make my bed I simply can't as I have two kitties that take over my bed and sleep on it...LOL. Then later on I just plain forget about it as I get busy with something else. And heaven forbid I chase the cats off...oh no, no, no, must not do that! So it sometimes isn't until I'm ready to go to bed that I'll straighten it up ..but hey, at least it's been kept warm by my two furbabies--a modern day version of the old fashioned bedwarmer of years gone by..LOL
@Modestah (11192)
I used to try that excuse with my parents when I was a child. Then once my wise father asked me: why then bother to wipe your buttocks after using the privy - you are only going to sully it again. (he used different words, I tried to be more delicate in my speech for mylot :) ) well? why bother wiping if the excuse against making the bed is valid so is the other.
I dont normally make the bed mostly because I dont ever have time. But there are times that I will. Mostly if I am going to have company over. Atleast with my bed I dont have much to make up all I have to do is make sure the pillows are all where there suposed to be and straighten my blanket.
@lorelai (1558)
I like when my bed is made and nice because i feel better when I have to go to sleep but I am pretty untidy person so I make it very rarely only when i can't sleep in it any more or when I change linens.
Nice little topic; I love my bed. I go through spurts with my bed. I go through a period where I love jumping into an an made bed at night with the blankets all muffled. It just makes me feel comfy for some reason. After a few days of that I get tired of that and would rather jump into a nicely made up bed and I love how it feel to get into a bed that is nice and neat and I wonder why I ever enjoyed getting into a messed up bed. When my bedroom was on the same level as my living area I noticed I made the bed up nicely more when company came over then not. Assuming someone was going to enter it while trying to find the washroom. Now my bedroom is up stairs and I don't have to worry about that. However , I notice that often I go through the trouble of fixing up the bed to look like it belongs in a catalog just for me. I love it when through out he day I have to enter my room that it is just a nice feeling to see my bed all dressed up. I know I don't have to do it; I just notice I like to do it for me because it makes me feel good to see it that way. Especially when the rest of the house is looking kind of messy and I walk into my room and see this pretty little site. Silly I know!
There was a time when I never made my bed. Things are different now. I enjoy walking into my bedroom and seeing the bed looking neat and inviting. Sleeping in an unmade bed isn't as comforting as sleeping in one that is neat.
@raijin (10373)
For me it's just simple, I believe that sleeping is the best way to rest our tired body from the whole day's activity. So I make sure that I make the bed, after and before I use it. I make the bed to make it look cozy, in my eyes and the feeling of accomplishing simple things. I also want to lay on it with the feeling of comfort, that I would easily doze off!;)
@jillhill (37383)
I can't leave the house without my bed being made. I don't know why I just like the looks of my bedroom being neat. I also like to climb in with the covers all straightened out. It's one of the last things I do after I get up here to get dressed for work.
LOL...I like the way a bed looks when made. However, between the work that I do online, the things I am involved in, crafting, and taking care of my son, somethings get neglected. The bed is one of the first things to do so. This is added to the fact that my husband and I usually sleep under different blankets. He is cold and wants 100 of them on his side of the bed, while his body heat makes me hot, so I sleep under a light blanket, he sleeps under a pile on his side. In the morning if I make the bed I have to sort them all out and fold up the ones that don't really go on the bed and then make it. Then at night we have to get extra blankets back out and then tear the bed apart so I get one light blanket and he gets the pile...LOL...somethings are just easier left a mess!