Why do we expect so much from our politicians?

@estherlou (5017)
Everyone knows they are experts at prevarication and always seem to have something to hide. So then why do we get so upset when someone finds some dirt on our choice? And why do we immediately get so disappointed and want to write them off?
@pismeof (855)
The reason we get upset over the dirty politician is because they happened to have been elected on the pretext that they aim to serve the public..Unfortunately the politician is in office to service himself.
@sigma77 (5385)
I don't care so much about their past. It is what they are going to do today that is important. I think it is right to expect much from them. I don't get upset if they dig up some dirt on someone. Usually it is some frivilous stuff that does not matter. Besides, they get corrupted once they are in government anyway. I mean they lose sight of the reasons they took office to begin with. After Bill Clinton, it has become normal procedure that anything goes.
I think because hope runs eternal and we are always thinking well maybe this one in whom we have put our trust will turn out to be different from the other 99.9% of the politicians.
@mkirby624 (1599)
Because they are about to run my country. Dirt on them is more serious than dirt on Miss America.
@chrislotz (8203)
I don't want to write off a politician that has some dirt in their background unless it is criminal. Everyone has a past and sometimes people do things that other people disagree with. What I don't like is a politician that promised to do things and when voted in they don't follow through on their promises. That is when I write them off. I won't vote for them the next election. But then they all do this anyways, so what's the difference who's in the office. They all make promises they don't keep and the sadest part is they know it when they are making the promises. They just promise them to get voted in. But the sad thing is they all do it. It has gotten to the point I don't know who to vote for anymore. I may not vote this next election.
@irisheyes (4373)
I only expect competence on the job. Something we haven't had much of in the last eight years. I don't expect the president to set a moral example. I'm voting for a politician not a saint. Bill Clinton may have been a bad boy but he was, in my opinion, a damn good president. One who put intelligent people in place and got things done. (Balanced the budget, kept us out of war etc.)
@slickcut (8141)
I don't expect anything out of them , and a lot of us do not..I think we just like to complain about them because they pull out some dirt and we like to talk about it..You are right, we know they are not all honest and why expect them to be any other way, they have never and will never change...anyone who does expect anything are badly mistaken...I think when something comes out that we can talk about we just want to make sure everybody knows.Lol
@milagre (1272)
• Portugal
In your job, when you hide something or do anything you really shouldnt do dont you have to answer for it? or even worse, you're fired. Dont you have to be honest? If its their job to run the country or, help doing it, they should do the best way possible and protect our coutry from all the negative things, also they should have a vision for the future, like you have to do in yr job. So, if its their job they should do it right or not assume the role of rulling countries and in some situations, the world or they will be playing with us, and our money.
@jillmalitz (5132)
I guess we expect too much from them. We expect them to be smarter and wiser than we are. After all we need smart, intelligent ones to run our government. But they are no better than the rest of us.Just recently it came to light here in Houston that the married DA was having an affair with his executive secretary and sent her emails on the county computers! Dumb. Now the Republicans refuse to support him for re-election. I guess we have to always remember that our government(amd politicians) are of the people, by the people and for the people. We get what we "pay" for.
@anniepa (27240)
I can only speak for myself but I have a feeling if the media didn't harp and dwell on these little tidbits of dirt we, the people, would just as soon concentrate on the issues and what our politicians are going to do now and in the future instead of something they may or may not have done years ago that has nothing to do with anything our country faces now. I think most of us can accept the fact that politicians are human just like the rest of us but when something is shown over and over again it eventually takes its toll on the best of us. Another thing that happens is if a political candidates dares misspeak, look out! They have to watch every word they say, every expression, every gesture less it be misinterpreted by some pundit who is bored with the campaign and wants to spice things up by making something out of nothing. Annie