I'm burning through my candles like crazy!

@estherlou (5017)
United States
December 31, 2007 4:10pm CST
I've been on a candle spree lately. First I burned up all of the old ones I found in cupboards. Then I found a box of candles I must have bought to paint one time and burned those. They all seem to burn really fast and burn down into the candle like grand canyon. I've even started putting another candle on top of the old melted ones and then my votive cup is full of wax! Anyone know of long lasting candles? And how in the world do you get old wax out of the votive cups? or do you just throw them away?
4 people like this
15 responses
@Thoroughrob (11750)
• United States
31 Dec 07
We were told to put them in the freezer. That the wax will come out easily. I have never tried it but a lady that sold Home Interior told us.
1 person likes this
@estherlou (5017)
• United States
1 Jan 08
hmmm...those home interior ladies usually have really good tips. And I remember buying candles from them also.
@GardenGerty (104451)
• United States
1 Jan 08
Warm the votive cup on a candle warmer, then pour the paraffin out. I collect it by colors, dip pine cones in them and then use the dipped pine cones as fire starters. They really work. Some people dislike the paraffin smell, and they say it is bad for you, but I sure like to think it is better than those liquid fire starter fluids.
@terri0824 (4991)
• United States
1 Jan 08
I've always heard that keeping candles in the freezer helps them to burn slower. And as far as getting old wax out of votive cups, I'm not sure. But perhaps if you putting some cooking spray in them before you burn them, they would come out easier. I'm not sure about this, just something I thought that might work.
1 person likes this
@OURDEW (4812)
• United States
31 Dec 07
I heard once a couple of years ago on the Martha Stewart show to put the votive cup in the freezer for several hours and the wax comes right out. Hope it works.:)
1 person likes this
• United States
31 Dec 07
I am not sure on a candle that burns long. I find that the bigger candles last a long time but thats cuz there big. And as for getting the wax out use hot water thats what I do.
1 person likes this
@ElicBxn (60894)
• United States
31 Dec 07
hot water
@dvschic (1796)
• United States
24 Jan 08
i use hot water on my votive cups, but i also burn vegetable/soy candles now that leave a lot less wax in the bottom of my cups and jars. i sell candles, so i'm pretty biased, but my candles tend to last a long long time, if you are interested in getting a lasting scent while saving a bit of money, try burning Mia Melts in a tart warmer, you get a lot more scent out of them and you can swap them out pretty easy.. i have my website on my profile, if you are interested.
• United States
2 Apr 08
Hi there, I'm a DiamondCreek Candles Representative and we have some awesome candles and more.. We have our Chunky Candles that are full of awesome chunks and they smell awesome.. They now have over 100 fragrances to choose from... AS for getting the wax out of votive cups and etc.. soak your glass container in warm water or hot water and it should come right out.. Hope this helps!! http://www.diamondcreekcandles.com/reps/cajinbaby.php
@chrislotz (8203)
• Canada
8 Jan 08
I don't have a problem with my candles not lasting long. I buy the ones in the big bottles. I pay about $10 for one and it lasts about 2 months. I only buy the scented ones because I love the house to smell nice. I light one in my kitchen and one in the basement in the area I use my computer in. I leave them burning from the morning till I go to bed at night. After they are burned out and there is no candle left I just throw them away. I always have a few extra on hand so I don't have to run out and get another one when it's burned out.
@RobinJ (2501)
• Canada
3 Jan 08
you can get candle wax out of votive cups by putting them in a pot of simmering water and heating them up and just pour it into an old milk carton or something that will hold the residue of the votive cup. Make sure you keep an eye on the water lever as you want to melt the wax not mix the water in the wax I can not use candles as my smoke detector goes off if i use candles or oil lamps, a new detector would probable be a good idea but I can't afford to change right now.
• United States
3 Jan 08
I know of a great candle that uses itself up and does not leave anything behind except the little mettle clip that holds the cotton wick. The candle melts into liquid so it burns cleaner and coller than wax candle. The candles are kind of expensive but a little tea light candle will burn 8 hours. It is party light candles here is their web page they have lots of other things beside candles. I have been using them for 8 years now and love their products. http://www.partylite.us/ The are a home party type of shopping. I started with them because I wanted there products and could not afford to buy anything from them. I decided to have a show.
@slickcut (8141)
• United States
3 Jan 08
I have went to parties where they sold candles, they call them a candle party where they sell only candles, of all kinds.they told us to put the candle in the freezer and after you freeze them take them out and trim the wick and that would make them burn longer..I have been a candle burner forever, i have a whole section under my cabinet that i stock candles..I never go to a store without finding some kind of candle to buy.I love those things.I supposs i have passed that down to my daughters because i can never go to their homes when they do not have candles burning all over.I keep a candle in each bathrooms and each room in my house,even in the kitchen..I also burn incense and oils of different kinds..I usually just let the wax get cold and dig out the old wax with a knife...Most of the time i buy candles in jars and when they burn up i throw them away..Some bigger jar candles will burn for several days, but i always blow them out if i leave the house and never burn them at night,all candles are blown out at bedtime.
@jillmalitz (5132)
• United States
2 Jan 08
I usually just throw them away. I have heard that some of them you can put smaller candles inside the ones that have burned down to just a shell. What bothers me more is that I love scented candles but they dont seem to have as much scent as they used to. I used to have cinamon apple candles burning which could me smelled all over the house. Now when I buy them they barely scent one room.
@Lakota12 (42681)
• United States
2 Jan 08
WE ust burn ours for short periods of time enough to get room smelling good BUt realy dont know of any candle that will burn for ever. WE got one in a jar that burnt slower then most of the others guess it depends how long ya burn them at one time. and we end up just throwing them away when burnt down to far
@LittleMel (14055)
• Canada
2 Jan 08
I used to soak them in hot water and leave them for a couple of hours, then the wax will slide out easily. not sure about fridge but who knows it may work
@Savvynlady (3686)
• United States
2 Jan 08
I love burning candles, but kind of ran out of some until a while back I bought some at Tuesday Morning, which is a great source for nice stuff like that. I got one in a Roseberry scent and got addicted to it. sometimes I put one candle on top of another that is melted down somewhat. I had one candle in a nice bottle and kept it for months, and it broke, but I still burned it to the very end. I have a candle burner I use those sort of candles that have a tricky wick per se. Perhaps you can get that for what you need.I have heard of long lasting candles but havent'tried them either.