I a freezing in this house and my daughter is sleeping on the floor

We have to put the mattress on the floor in her room to sleep together. I just called the fire dept to ask them about the heat laws. Now I have a friend over and she says I should call cps on myself for the heat. This way I can get them to have this place inspected and I can get help to move out. There is only one problem can this back fire on me? I will not do this at all unless someone tells me it would not hurt me. The oven is now on and I plan to stay up for as long as I can to warm my daughter up. My friend is here her feet are frozen and my hands and legs are about numb.
@Adoniah (7515)
Call the Health Dept. tommorrow and report your landlord. Tonight everyone sleep in the same bed to use body heat to keep everyone warm. Sleep in the kitchen where it is usually the warmest. I am having the same problem. Even though I live in Fla. it is going to freeze here tonight,and I have no heat and there is no insulation in this building. It is now 40 degrees in my apt. Soon it will be freezing in here because there is no way to warm it up as it drops outside it will drop in here. According to the weather station it is 39 outside here so my thermometer must be close to right.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
I have to use a portable heater in my place. The main heater is unfixable for some reason. I got this straight from the gas companies mouth. But, I made sure that my landlord sprung for the heater.
@Adoniah (7515)
I live in Public Housing and I am on the Public Housing Commission. My heat has been broken for 2 years. They were supposed to move me a year ago. I am still here. They say I should be glad I have a roof over my head. I am paying almost full pop for this place and the building is condemed. They were supposed to replace it 5 years ago but someone ran off with a bunch of money and it fell through and now they are in debt up to their eyeballs. When they thought they were going to build the new place, they voted themselves a bunch of new raises and new benefits and now there is no money to pay for it so it comes out of the money for repairs etc. Tis a lovely world we live in!
My landlord will be down here tonight to feel the apt. The heat is on full blast right now and my friend just came back to check on us. She was even able to tell him how cold it was in here. I am hoping we all get this mess cleared. I was living in Miami for the last 8 years. I know just how those houses feel when it's 40 degrees. The fun part is I love it then as I am a Nyorker I just can't take this cold here. I am moving back to Miami in 5 years. My daughter wants to go to college in Florida.
@sedel1027 (17854)
I would not call CPS that definitely sounds like something that can easily backfire. You need to call the Housing Authority in your area as I am sure what he is doing is quite illegal.
I thought as much and it would not be something I could handle. :)
I don't know about calling cps, I'm unfamiliar with that sort of thing. What has your landlord said? I'm assuming you have called and complained; is someone there working on the heat? If there is something so wrong that the heat won't get fixed shortly, the landlord should at least provide you with some space heaters for the time being. Don't be afraid to call him an complain some more, you can't get to sleep because it is too cold, so why should he get all his rest? Be careful about leaving the oven on with the door open, it can burn out the thermostat or the element in the oven because it won't be able to warm such a large area. Unless you can go to a friends house, the next best thing would be to pack everyone into one room and close the door to contain the heat, do some jumping jacks to get your blood flowing, and then all bundle up together. And wear hats, most of your body heat is lost through your head. Good Luck
Oh lord my cats were getting in the oven and I was so afraid of them dying. I just cut it off and went to bed. My daughter woke up soon after and could not sleep the rest of the night. Thanks for the help. Oh he is buying us space heaters as well. I slept in my sweater and my daughter went to be dwith a hat on shame... right.
If it is the landlords fault that you have no heat, and not yours say because you didnt pay the bill, then you need to call the police or fire dept and tell them you are reporting your landlord for not providing heat. I did that once and the fire dept took care of it, we had heat within a couple of hours. I wouldnt recommend calling cps on yourself, i would call on the landlord not you, he is in a health violation and you didnt do anything wrong. If you cant pay your bill, they should give you emergency heap because you have children in the home. Good luck
@lightningd (1041)
I would try to find someplace else to go for the nite, like a friend's house. I would then call the health department, the department of social services, or the district attorney. If your landlord has been told the heat is not working, then he is breaking the law. I think the most important thing is that you and your daughter get somewhere warm. It's not healthy for her to be sleeping in that environment. This could be an option though, if there is a wal-mart near by, they have small space heaters that have safety features that shut them off should they tip over and stuff. Maybe you could get one of them and maybe put it in one room and you all sleep in that room. Those little heaters work pretty well. We lost power for nearly 5 days here 13 days before Christmas, due to an ice storm, and the temperatures were barely above freezing for those 5 days.We were running on a generator, so our furnace would not blow heat. I used one of those space heaters running off of the generator, closed off all the rooms I could and we slept fairly comfortably. That's all I can think to tell you to try, but calling the cops on yourself could most possibly backfire on you. It might be better if you were to go to the police station with your daughter, report to them that your landlord will not repair the heat, and maybe they can direct you somewhere to stay warm and they can go after the land lord.
@dania_elm (422)
a friend of mine works for the cps and i called her about this they will most definately take ur daughter they said u have to have electric running water and heat when it is cold u dont have to have hot water as long as u have a way to heat it
I can't believe your landlord, especially when a child is involved. Do you pay for the electric bill because using the stove is going to make that go up. If he can't get it fixed he should at least get you a room heater to use. Try to think warm thoughts and good luck!
@carmelanirel (20979)
I have been there, so I know that feeling. We first moved into this apt when my oldest was just 4 months old. It was in Dec and cold and when we went to turn on the heat, it didn't work and it was late at night. So we all slept in the same bed, putting the baby between us and called for service the next day.. I don't know what exactly what your circumstances are. Is the landlord not fixing the furnance? How long has this been going on? What reply if any have you had from your landlord?
@Sissygrl (10915)
Holy crows If it is as cold there as it is here today and you have no heat, that is insane. I Would call board of tenancy, or whatever it is called in your state/province, and see what you can do about it. Are there other people that live in the building that dont have heat ? I would get everyone together and call and complain to the land lord. I would have a written document with everyone's signature on it stating that they have called.
@ahalapia (946)
In our city we have, located in the City Hall building an office called code enforcement, if you have such a place call and tell them of your situation, they will make it hard enough on the landlord that he will have to correct the problem right away or be fined until he does fix it, he might also have to pay for putting you up some where else until the probelm is fixed. It doesn't hurt to check into it to see if you do have a code enforcement office.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
I am not a social worker, but I would imagine that it just might back fire on you. They may say that they want to take her away until you can do better. I would investigate online. I would also research slum lord laws in your local area. Hope this helps.