Grease Collection

yuck - Saved grease for easier disposal
@webeishere (36353)
Most people toss their grease from cooking down their garbage disposal. It is not good for the drain nor the pipes actually. I use an old coffee can and pour the grease into this. It sits on my stove and gets tossed out when I have another empty can for this purpose. Usually a week or so at most. Then it gets placed with my regular garbage. Do you do this with your grease? Or are you the type that runs it through your garbage disposal? Or worse yet are you ther type that runs all hot water then pour it down the drain hoping the hot water melts the grease making it slide down the drain easier? That will damage the pipes in the long run. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@asgtswife04 (2482)
I have to admit, I am usually one that runs the hot water and then pours it out because that's what I've always been told to do since i was a kid. LOL! Until recently anyways. I have started keeping, but I keep it for a totally different reason. My mother and father's puppy got parvo and they didn't think it was gonna survive. They had tried everything, and then my dad got this idea of pouring bacon grease down it's throat...not hot of course, but making sure it was a little warm. Their dog survived the parvo and I think it was because of that because I ended up doing the same thing for mine when she got parvo and it worked. Who knows...but, i think it was the grease. I definitely didn't have the money to take her to the vet and leave her there, so i tried that. Thanks for posting and God bless
@maddysmommy (16235)
I do both LOL if its only a little oil and grease then I run the hot water at the same time and dispose of the fatty grease hahahaha. If its a lot then I pour it into an old margarine or butter container and dump it that way.
@webeishere (36353)
No matter how hot the water is it still doesn't break up the fat. It still sticks to the sides of the pipes. be careful for it may cost you plumbing repairs in the future. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@maddysmommy (16235)
Thanks for the tip Bob, i'm not going to be doing that again :)
@sherrir101 (3670)
I drain mine into a can to throw out with the garbage. I only use vegetable oil for cooking, so I wonder if that is bad for the pipes, also? I use the vegetable cans that we use at supper and put into the refrgerator until ready to throw out with the refuse. I also use old coffee cans because they have a lid and stop the smell from getting in your fridge. :-)
@webeishere (36353)
The vegetable oil won't damage the pipes. Im talking about grease from hanburger, steaks, chicken,etc etc. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !~!~
@CORDALE (868)
I agree. pouring grease down that drain is an awful idea. I never do it. i save mine and seperate it depending on what i am cooking. seperate chicken grease,fish grease , french fry etc... i use it 3 times then after it cools off i pour into original container and throw away. i know it sounds like alot of work but i find it is less messy this way.
@webeishere (36353)
Sometimes I seperate the grease if I want to use it again as flavoring for other fried foods. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@Polly1 (12648)
I drain my grease right in the trash can. I never put it down my drain.
@webeishere (36353)
I can't so that. I have racoons near me and they are very apt at opening my garbage can. They get into the food scraps in the winter. In the summer I throw the scraps into my soil in my gardens. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@terri0824 (4991)
I have to admit I have been guilty of pouring it down the drain. But recently saw a news programs about the damage it does. So thus from now on I will be doing it the way that you do it.
@webeishere (36353)
Good choice there. Grats!! HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
If I have grease, which is seldom, I usually put it in a can and get rid of it in the trash just as soon as it cools. In the summer I will put it in the freezer until trash day so that it will not attract any animals or bugs. I know better than to put it into the sink, what a mess.
@nichole1983 (1187)
pouring it down the drain is the worst thing that you can do.. we do the coffee can thing as well... if im in the city it gets tossed away in the regular garbage.. but when im in the country (where no one comes to pick up our garbage it is our responsibility) we burn it off when we do the garbage...
@blackbriar (9080)
Grease isn't good for the septic tank either. I used to pour the grease in a coffee can then toss it out with my garbage but now that we live in the country, I just take it out to the edge of the woods and dump it. Sometimes I'll save it in a coffee can to make suet cakes for the birds to eat come winter.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
When I had my own house I'd save it in a jar. I loved adding a bit of chicken grease to my french fry oil and I had a really yummy recipe for salad dressing using bacon grease. Here they just put some down the drain...like when draining cooked ground beef...or let it cool in the pan and throw it in the garbage if there's alot...and then wonder why the animals knock the outside cans over.
@Inky261 (2524)
I do not have any grease. Once a year, if a goose or duck ist too greasy I pour the grease into a jar and close the lid and put it in the garbage. Usually I do not cook things that are that greasy. French fries I put on a sheet in the oven, I do not use a deep fryer. There is no grease in my pipes. The are my pipes and I hate to call the plumber. Handymen are expensive. Happy mylotting!
@luvstochat (6914)
I am one of those that pours it down the sink I pour some dawn dish soap down the drain first then pour the grease with hot water and more dawn then when more dawn with hot water when I am done. They claim dawn takes grease out of your way so far I have been lucky and the pipes are okay I know in the long run I amy be sorry.
Thanks Grandpa Bob, for posting this is was very informative. I am also guilty of the old hot water after the grease going down the drain. Thanks for sharing now thanks to your post have some ideas of what to do with the grease.
I meant to that this is very informative
@howard96h (11658)
• New York, New York
Grandpa Bob I live in an apartment building and pour it down the drain running hot watch along with it thinking it will melt it but after reading your discussion I see your point and I am going to stop right now. I like your idea of using an old coffee can. I don't want the landlord hitting me with a bill for damaged pipes. Thanks for starting this discussion.
@howard96h (11658)
• New York, New York
(running hot water) - is what I meant, not with it today, lol
@faith210 (11233)
Hi GRANDPA BOB! This is really interesting! I pour the grease into a tin can or sometimes in a jar when hubby is looking but when he is not, I hurriedly pour it down the drain. haha.. However, I am a changed woman now. I dispose the grease in the proper way, right into the can or jar since the kitchen sink pipe leaked and my hubby is giving me the looks while he was fixing it. Just my thoughts dear friend. Take care and have a nice day!
@clrumfelt (5428)
Interesting idea. I usually pour my old grease into a cup I keep on my stove, but I've been looking for a good use for my old coffee cans. That would keep me from having to degrease my cups and then I could just toss out the can when it gets full enough. Thanks for a good household hint!
@Savvynlady (3686)
We have a program here in the Mobile here called Ungreasy whereas, you go to a designated spot, get a container to put the grease in, bring it back and someone from the city will come along and pick it up. Makes a whole lot more sense than what we have been doing if you ask me and saves on your plumbing.
@twoey68 (13651)
I never pour mine down the drain...it will block it up quick. If I have to wash greasy pans I always run really hot water and some soap down with it. I keep a tall spagetti can next to the stove and it goes in there...when it's full I stick it in a ziplock, seal it and toss it out...then put out a fresh can. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@anniepa (27238)
I always throw my grease out in the garbage. After frying something I'll turn the burner on under the pan if necessary so I can pour it into a scrap can we keep in the kitchen into which we put coffee grounds, old grease, peelings and other scraps. I put a small plastic bag in the can and when it gets full I throw it into the big trash can. I'm afraid millions of people just put it down the garbage disposal, which isn't good at all! Annie
@squaretile (3833)
this is a good discussion. thanks for sharing your method. over here, I usually pour all liquids down the drain, and yes I sometimes think pouring hot water will santise the entire system! but I guess I'm wrong there. my husband's family has another method of pouring all the excess gravy and liquids (clear soup) into plastic bags. But to me that is very inconsiderate since when i chuck the plastic bag down the garbage chute (we live in a high rise apt) the liquids are bound to spill out and cause smells or messiness for the garbage collector. I guess the idea of putting liquids in a can is good, but it doesn't quite solve the spillage issue. So I guess I'll adopt your method and tweak it a little. And use jars with lids that can be screwed back on so that the grease of liquids are nicely contained and disposed of.