Child support, does it really work?

How many of you think the system for child support works? The law states that the parent who is the custodial parent has the right to 55% of the non custodial parent's salary. Do you think that this is right? Also do you think it's right when a parent scams the system and ends up paying next to nothing? My ex pays 100 total for his kids. When we went in for child support the judge asked him how much could he pay in child and spousel support. He said 100.00 and the judge said ok.. What in (insert diety here)green earth was this allowed? He was a truck driver making 700.00 a week. 100.00? Why do the courts let some slide and are ocer obsessive with others? Your thoughts are welcome and thank you for answering ahead of time..
@lilybug (21148)
Where I live you are entitled to 20% for one kid or 33% for 2 or more kids. My son's father was already paying child support to his ex wife, so I got 20% of what was left out of his check AFTER he paid her 33%. He stopped paying her about a month after mine was ordered. That was over 5 years ago and he has not given her a dime since. He owes her over $15,000. He owes me almost $5,000 since he has not been paying me either. NOW, he has another kid that he claims he just found out about and he is paying twice as much for that kid as he is for mine. All because he did not go to the court hearing and she got what she was asking for. She lied and told the court that he did not have any other support orders. He quit his job and stopped paying me when they took out the support for her. Now he has 3 child support orders in 2 different states and he is not paying on any of them. Every time child support catches up with him he quits a job. Ok, I am rambling on here. I do not think the child support system works well at all. They let non custodial parents get away with too much.
i'm sorry to hear this. I hate when stuff like this happens. You can go to the courts and request more and when you do you can point out the amount the third child is getting and actually i know where i live the second and third child can not get more than the first child also if a person is ordered support and doesn't pay they supposedly take their drivers license away and if that doesn't work they end up in jail. Also around here come tax time if there is any back support owed they take that from the taxes. I wish you luck and am sorry you had to experience it. have a nice night.
@lilybug (21148)
I have gotten his tax return of about $1,500 twice. This past year he filed with his new wife and I somehow managed to only get $86. AND I had to wait until December of this past year to get it. Wait 10 months for a measly $86. Come on!
That is so ridiculous, I'm sorry you have to deal with that.I wish you luck in the future.
@skinnychick (6907)
I get 20 percent in my state but still in isn't enough. The state takes it out of his paycheck but then it takes them forever to send it to me- dealing with them is horrible. The child support system needs better enforcement especially here in Illinois...I needed the enforcement agency when it took over 3 weeks to get my check and CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT said they couldn't help me because the divorce and custody arrangement was done by a private attorney- what? So because I wasn't poor according to them and a state attorney did not resolve my custody matters they could not help. Essentially it is just their job to send me the check- apparently they think I have the money to pay for a lawyer to go to court every time they are slow to process my payment- Hmmmm? Makes no sense!Then you can't trust the father to pay at least I can't- so I can't really do anything unless I save for my lawyer- Illinois sucks sometimes!
Well don't feel bad , where I live you can't get legal aid to help you and they won't touch a custody case at all. and then they tell you have to have a lawyer to arrange a custody arrangement you can't do it without a lawyer. The enforcement here is slow and it takes forever for them to use the measures they put in place. I cringe everytime I deal with them.