Have you ever had someone dig thru your trash?

@jovimom (1576)
We put our trash out for the nite and someone came by and took our Christmas tree! We threw it out because the branches are falling down and it has huge gaps. I was playing the Wii w/my son and saw the guy stop and dig thru our trash. I didn't know what he took until just now. I just wouldn't ever dig thru someone else's trash, but that's just me....
We once had someone go through our recycling and take out the aluminium cans; to turn in for money, I suppose. I wouldn't have cared except that he took one of the bags down the alley beside our house to go through it and left the non-aluminium items on the ground! We've also had people take large items that we but out for pick-up, like an old stove and some furniture, but that is almost expected around our area. I would much rather someone take it if they can use it than it go to the dump. I would only throw a fit if I saw someone going through the actual trash bin, because I would assume they were looking for personal information to try and steal my identity. That's why I shred anything remotely sensitive and then put the shredded paper in the same bag with the used cat litter; if they want it, they are really going to have to work for it! :-)
@jovimom (1576)
That would have made me mad too! Yes, furniture I would understand more than an x-mas tree. But if you really want/need something, I guess you'll do some weird things to get it. That's a good idea w/personal info, I always shred mine too :)
I could never say that my garbage has not been search through. I can only say it was not when I was looking. I put out all sorts of stuff when not needed. I leave stuff right out so that others can recycle it. I think the person who took your tree was doing a good thing. They may very well know a way to fix something small to make something new. haps in a tree are minor compared to many things. I do know ti's the publics once it reaches the curb. This is why I soak my bills in clorox till it turns to mush.
@jovimom (1576)
I'm not saying it was a bad thing, just odd that's all. I saw the lady across the street from us look thru our trash once, but she didn't take anything. Yes, I shred all my bills, you never know about people!
@OConnell87 (1046)
we've had people take dump out of our skip when we were clearing the house, that was quite funny because we keep filling the skip but the next day it would be half empty
@jovimom (1576)
I just wouldn't dig thru anyone's trash, but that's just me I guess....
@maddysmommy (16243)
Well lots of our neigbours put things downstairs in our trash area for anyone to take or use. They usually put notes on it if its still working or in good condition. I've found a few things for our home and I have noticed also when I put things down there its taken by the next morning before the trash truck comes to pick it up. If someone else can use it then its fine with me!
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah, I guess, I just thought it was pretty funny that my son and I saw him stop and dig,lol!
@eden32 (3978)
A real tree or a fake? Around here there is a group that collects real trees and takes them to compost & make mulch from. I think it may be a Boy Scouts activity. Now that there's freecycle I never throw out things that are still usable, but in the past I was always happy if someone grabbed furniture or appliances I was tossing. Better someone get some use out of it than it go into the landfills.
@jovimom (1576)
It was artificial, I've never had a real tree before. I could see furniture, but a used x-mas tree? Guess it just depends how bad you want something,lol!
@mummybec (685)
I have not had someone go though our trash before... So it was close to your house? Thats a bit scary!! We have had what we call "hard rubbish" collections before - where you put old funiture etc out for collection... you put it right out near the road though and heaps of people go around and check out what others are getting rid of and then may take things then... but tha is a bit different to what happened to you!!
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah, he pulled into our addition and stopped and got out. I wondered what he was doing, then he got the flashlight out and started looking at our trash! Like I said, I didn't know what he took til later...
@shymurl (2769)
I see it all the time around here on trash day. But you know what they say someones trash is somebody elses treasure. or something along those lines.
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah, I guess. Obviously for him it was,lol!