how much do you spend on grocery? how much of it is vegetables and fruits?

@LittleMel (14059)
I'm just curious about how much people spend on grocery and how much of it is for vegetables and fruits. In our case, it's about 30% of our grocery is vegetables and fruits, that my pet also eats although very little every day. What about you?
@polachicago (19143)
I spend more that 70% on fruits and veggie including nuts and mushrooms. I may spend about $80-100 per week including dog and cat food. An average. Less when I am alone....much less... Right now I am running my home dehydrator with apples and oranges. Tomorrow I will run maybe carrots and parsley. I like to eat some dried fruits during the winter. I use dried veggie for soups. I am wondering what kind of fruits and veggie you cat eats.
@polachicago (19143)
I guess I included paper towels, laundry and cleaning supplies in my shopping, because I buy most in one place.
@LittleMel (14059)
I went to this site http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vegetables-nutrition-chart.html and there is another site I forgot the URL I made note on what is high on this and that, then buy them in small amount. Some I steam and some I eat raw with soy sauce.
@LittleMel (14059)
for my cat just carrot and spinach, one spoonful every day. if I don't give her this she seems upset
@williamjisir (22909)
Hello dear LittleMel. I do not keep notes for the things that I have spent on. I am well organized in the use of the money. I think that that I spend about six hundred RMB on food for me alone, excluding the other things out of food. Thanks.
@LittleMel (14059)
so how much of it is vegetables and fruits?
I am sorry to say that it has never been counted yet as most of the time I would like to have my meals and food in the school canteen. lol
@LittleMel (14059)
I used to do that when I was single, no cooking unless my mom wants me to
I spent about $40 on food this week. and about half was just on salad making things. eating healthy is soo expensive.
@LittleMel (14059)
over here there is a shop nearby they have good price on a lot of things, plus we have no kids so it helps reducing expenses. maybe if you eat raw it won't be too much? I don't eat salad I always eat raw or steamed
ya well I am student and don't have much money to use. But I find that any and almost all food is expensive. But I was lucky to have allot of my things I wanted was on sale.
@LittleMel (14059)
ah OK I understand your situation. I felt the same when I was still in school
@chrislotz (8207)
There is just my husband and I but we seem to almost always have someone over for supper. If it's not my kids, it's my hubby's kids, or some of our friends or just someone from my hubby's work that is having some bad times in his life and has nowhere to go. So we tend to spend quite a bit of money on food every week. Probably about $200. Of that I would say we spend about $25.00 on fruit, we love fruit, and about $20.00 on fresh vegetables and about $10.00 on canned and frozen vegetables.
@LittleMel (14059)
canned fruits maybe it's a better deal than fresh ones but I don't know if it's healthy to consume them regularly
I spend about $150 a month on groceries. About 40 to 60 of that goes to fresh or frozen produce. One reason that is so high is I use potatoes as a substitute for wheat, which I can't eat. I do eat rice, beans, and corn products, (tortillas and the like) but baked potatoes are used instead of bread. Spuds are veggies. I eat them with their skins on. I also go through lots of onions, 5 lbs. carrots, and cabbage. I'm growing herbs, as they are getting pricey. For meat, I buy a turkey once a month, eggs, and powdered milk.
@LittleMel (14059)
good idea, growing veggies. I will do that too along with herbs.
I don't buy veggies or fruit that often. I just had my daughter go to the store last night. The fruit alone was 21$ and change. The food was bought at a different time. I am just now getting into remembering to buy fruit. This also included my yogurts.
@LittleMel (14059)
fruits that much? I can't blame you if you don't buy often
@sedel1027 (17868)
We spend roughly 150 every 2 week, but we eat out quite a bit. I would estimate at least 30-40% of our groceries consists of fruits and veggies, fresh or frozen.
@LittleMel (14059)
we don't spend that much because we don't have kids. if we do it will be a lot more.
@Adoniah (7523)
I am a vegetarian, but I also eat eggs and dairy and some fish so the majority of my grocery bill is veggies. I have to fight my Parrot for my share too!lol
@LittleMel (14059)
LOL if I have a bunny I will have to fight it too. good thing my cat is carnivore
@dania_elm (422)
we spend about 150 a week on groceries and about 20 or 30 of that is fruit and veggies in the summer when the stores have all the fresh good stuff that shoots way way up though my kids love fresh fruit and i would rather them have that than junk
@LittleMel (14059)
we spend almost the same amount for fruits and veggies. but our grocery is not a much in totals because we don't have kids