Totally useless facts (but interesting!)?

Guangzhou, China
The "pound" key on your keyboard (#) is called an octotroph. The only domestic animal not mentioned in the Bible is the cat. The "dot" over the letter "i" is called a tittle. Table tennis balls have been known to travel off the paddle at speeds up to 160 km/hr. Pepsi originally contained pepsin, thus the name. Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously. Honey is the only natural food that is made without destroying any kind of life. What about milk you say? A cow has to eat grass to produce milk and grass is living. The volume of the Earth's moon is the same as the volume of the Pacific Ocean. Cephalacaudal recapitulation is the reason our extremities develop faster than the rest of us. Spiral staircases in medieval castles are running clockwise. This is because all knights used to be right-handed. When the intruding army would climb the stairs they would not be able to use their right hand which was holding the sword because of the difficulties of climbing the stairs. Left-handed knights would have had no troubles, except left-handed people could never become knights because it was assumed that they were descendants of the devil. Ham radio operators got the term "ham" coined from the expression "ham fisted operators," a term used to describe early radio users who sent Morse code (i.e., pounded their fist). The slogan on New Hampshire license plates is "Live Free or Die." These license plates are manufactured by prisoners in the state prison in Concord. Hydrogen gas is the least dense substance in the world, at 0.08988g/cc. Hydrogen solid is the most dense substance in the world, at 70.6g/cc. Each year there is one ton of cement poured for each man woman and child in the world. The house fly hums in the middle octave key of F. The only capital letter in the Roman alphabet with exactly one end point is P. The giant red star Betelgeuse has a diameter larger than that of the Earth's orbit around the sun. The longest place name still in use is: Taumatawhakatangihangaoauauotameteaturipukakapikimaungahoronuk- upokaiwhenuakitanatahu--a New Zealand hill. Los Angeles's full name is: "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Poriuncula" and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size, "LA.". Only 1 in 2,000,000,000 will live to be 116 or older. An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur. According to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, it is possible to go slower than light and faster than light, but it is impossible to go the speed of light. Also, there is a particle called tackyon which is supposed to go faster than light. This means if you fire a tackyon beam, it travels before you fire it. When you tie a noose, the rope is wrapped twelve times around because it's the same length as a persons head. Hummingbirds are the only animal that can fly backwards. A cat's jaw cannot move sideways...
@secretbear (19464)
LOL this is some very amusing and informative stuffs you got youless. ^__^ some of them are really absurd like the longest name of a place and the real name of LA. LOL and i'm still thinking about the honey. ^__^;; what about this, there's no letter A from number "one" up to "nine hundred ninety nine". you have to reach "one thousAnd" before you can see an A there. ^__^ you can list all the words if you want. LOL
You have a great found:)
@secretbear (19464)
thanks for the best response youless. ^__^
Hi friend.. i am momentarily back to mylot... Interesting lines ... and facts.. How would the Newzealanders call the hill.. Kindly do pronounce it for me.. hehehe.. Quite a few facts i about tackyon particles, about hydrogen's property, in various states, and humming bird flying backwards are known to me, and these lines helped me to recollect it. Take care friend:) Have a good time:)
Now it's the Chinese New Year, and I hope you all the best:)
@aseretdd (13736)
I don't think the facts that you mentioned here are useless... but i agree that they are interesting... especiall the name ot the dot over the letter i... i never thought an item as simple as that could have a name... Some of the facts maybe useless to others but some are quiet useful... especially that of Einstein's special theory... to an ordinary person... it may be useless... but for mathematicians, astronomers, and even pilots... this piece of information is very important...
Thanks for your appreciation:)
Thanks for the information.
You are welcome:)
@kamran12 (5555)
• Pakistan
Hello youless!:-) Very interesting indeed! I didn't know few of the things you have provided for our information. Especially, the staircase running clockwise has never come to my notice before, thanks! Similarly there are other things that were unknown to me like dot over I, the ham term, cement, house fly, the hill name and the name of Los Angeles and noose thing too. Haha! "Live Free or Die" on license plates, manufactured by none other than "prisoners" rather shows a good sense of humor:-)
I am glad that you enjoy it:)
Woow youless, these are really interesting. To many of them, I haven't heard before. My sister's daughter shows energetic curiosity. She always asks why to many useless facts what makes us ache much more. Many thanks for your sharing. Now it is my turn to ask useless fact to the girl. She would have to spend a lot of her free time to find proofs for them...
Perhaps your sister's daughter is still a child. As my son always asks me many questions that I can't reply to:)
@OURDEW (4812)
Thank you for all that insteresting information. Things that I would never of known. I hope you have a good day.:)
I hope you will have a good day, too:)
@shiloh_222 (5480)
hi..very interesting..thanks so much for sharing
Thanks for your response.
Thanks for sharing. This is very interesting! : )
Glad to hear that:)
Love useless facts, keep 'em coming!
Nice to hear that:)
wow. what irony. "live free or die" being shoved in your face the entire time you are in prison. that would truly suck. i found the name of that New Zealand place a while back and right after i looked it up i started hearing the name on mountain dew commercials.
Thanks for your response.
• Pakistan
Whay have you written "Totally useless facts"? They are very much useful and infromative. At first when I read these saved them in my computer. Thanks for collecting such informationfor us. And could you please tell me the source from where did you get these? I mean the site or a book...Thanks...Kashan
A friend emailed me about this useless facts, and I think it is quite interesting to share all of you:)
@lkbooi (16101)
I had finished reading all the Useless Facts in your discussion. The message is lengthy but still can capture my interest to reach to the bottom. It is really useful as I had learnt lots of valuable information from it. Before reading this, I will sure to be defeated at the very first round, if I were to take part in the quiz competition lol Thank you, my dear friend.
Nice to hear that these useless facts draw your attention:)
@shakeroo (3990)
Thanks for the list. My favorite is: " Spiral staircases in medieval castles are running clockwise. This is because all knights used to be right-handed. When the intruding army would climb the stairs they would not be able to use their right hand which was holding the sword because of the difficulties of climbing the stairs. Left-handed knights would have had no troubles, except left-handed people could never become knights because it was assumed that they were descendants of the devil. "
You did read the facts carefully:)
@spoiled311 (5502)
woow! hahaha yeah, these are really interesting youless. thanks for sharing them. though i don't really think i can memorize all of them, it was a good read. have a good day friend! take care and God bless you always! :-)
I can't memorize all of them, too:)
@urbandekay (18312)
Good stuff all the best urban
Thanks for your response.