sleeping infants

@neelygal (1024)
Bahamas
How many hours do you think an infant should sleep at a time?would you wake them up to feed them?
Being a mother of 4 I learned after my very first one 11 years ago that you do not need to wake a baby every 4 hours and make sure they eat at least 2 ounces. A baby will wake when it is hungry and let you know it is feeding time. As they get older they sleep less and less and you find yourself wishing they would just lay down a take a nap. LoL
@dopey22girl (3327)
As someone else said, it depends on the age of the baby. Some babies will sleep for a reallyyyy long time if they are really young; others maybe only an hour or two at a time. I don't think I would wake them up to feed them, but I would definitely check on them to make sure they are still ok and that they are breathing.
@carolbee (16244)
I think each baby is different. We had three daughters and they all varied with the amount of hours they slept. I did make the mistake of waking the oldest, since she was our first one, every 4 hours to eat. That wasn't a good idea. I do think it's better to let a baby feed when they are ready. We have grandkids now and their mom fed them on demand and they were content babies.
@babykeka80 (2004)
I always let my daughter sleep. If she was hungry she would wake up. They need tons of sleep when they are infants something like 16hrs a day or something like that. Unless it was like time for her 10pm feeding or something I just let her go on with her nap. Now if she was trying to go to sleep before she finished eating I would wake her or she would be up and wanting to finish in an hour.
@mummybec (685)
I think it depends on the age of the baby and also the baby themselves as every baby - just like everyone is different some need more sleep some need less... And babies cut out certain day sleeps as they get older too. I would not wake them through the night at all... but I have done so through the day (when still pretty much a newborn) as the baby had a very long sleep and missed one feed and was due for another so then I did... Otherwise you basically let the baby decide what is best for them. Hope this makes sense... have a great day :)
• Halifax, Nova Scotia
as a general rule i would never wake a baby.. not to eat or to visit with someone or any other reason.. babies sleep because they need to.. i would also suggest to the parents to sleep as much as possible while baby is sleeping also (you'll probably need it) :D but ya id never suggest someone wake a baby for any reason :)