The Real man's bestfriend... Dog Saves Boy From Fire by Biting Foot
January 8, 2008 3:05am CST
PORTAGE, Ind. (AP) - A black Labrador that bit a 13-year-old boy's foot repeatedly, waking him up, is being credited with saving the boy and two of his friends from a house fire. Christopher Peebles said he woke up Friday morning to feel his dog Laney biting his foot repeatedly in the basement of his family's home, where he and two friends had spent the night. "I thought she had to go to the bathroom, but she never bites me," Peebles said Friday. He and his friends walked upstairs with Laney and noticed smoke everywhere in the home. "We came up the stairs and thought it was a dream, but it was cold when we opened the door - then we knew it wasn't a dream," Pebbles said. Firefighters arrived about 10 a.m. and found the home's garage and eaves on fire. Assistant Fire Chief Mike Bucy said the damage was mostly in the attached one-car garage of the ranch home. Fire Chief Bill Lundy said the fire, which caused an estimated $25,000 in damage to the home, appeared to have started in an electrical heating unit in the garage. Peebles' parents, Dave and Vicky Peebles, were both at work at the time of the fire. They said they were relieved that their son and his friends were not injured. Dave Peebles said that one point after Laney had ushered Christopher and his friends out of the house the dog ran back inside and wouldn't come out until he went in to get her. Peebles said his son and the dog were "real close." "She's always been very protective of him," Vicky Peebles said of Laney
9 Jan 08
Dogs are very good friends to man really. When my father was attacked with his asthma and he was alone, his dog ran to fetch my aunt from afar, biting her skirt pulling her towards home many times until my aunt understood that something wrong might have happened and upon arrival she saw my father hard-up in breathing.
• United States
8 Jan 08
It's amazing, really, how dogs do these things. We hear all the time about how dogs are saving lives. My dog has never done anything this grand, but she will alert us if something is going on. The other night she was barking like crazy and my husband went to see what she was barking at. There was HUGE black spider on the floor, I'm sure it would have been very painful if not poisonous if one of us had been bitten by it. I'm also sure that if there was a fire, she'd definitely let us know.