Natural remedies for migraine relief have you used any

Let me just give a brief overview. For app 5 years, since i was pregnant with my youngest child, a girl, I have been suffering from hormonal migraines triggered by my ovulation cycle. I am lucky in the sense that I have a very high tolerance for pain, so I can take a couple excedrin migraine and the pain is tolerable. They last 3 days every time and the light and noise sensitivity is what is getting worse and untolerable. As a mother with two young children, i am sure you can see how that would be a problem. I do not want to take strong medications and definately not narcotics at least if i can at all avoid that. I did some research and i found butterbur, feverfew , cayenne pepper and rosemary are all used for the treatment of migraines with butterbur seeming to be the one that works the best. Has anyone ever tried any of these specifically for migraines and if yes did it work? Did you have any side effects?
I use a prescription called Frova for the exact same kind of migraines you describe. It works on my hormonal ones only but it is enough. My neurologist warned me against using herbal remedies because cayenne pepper for example can agitate a migraine and make it worse. I would ask your doctor for a sample of Frova and see if it helps you.
I actually found a website for Frova, but as a nurse i have never heard of it. I will do some more research on it and see what i can find out. Thanks for the info, do you have any side effects from it?
Not a single one. If I take it when I feel the migraine coming on and close my eyes for 15 minutes or just go to a dark quiet place I never get the migraine and can continue on with my day as though it never happened. Too bad they can't make something like that for my cramps.
Thanks I will look into it. I think they will never find something that works for cramps, then men wouldnt be able to blame being mad at them for one more stupid thing they did on pms lol
I never heard of butterbur, so I cannot speak on that but there are lots of natural rememdies out there I haven't heard of nor tried yet. My migraines were a direct result from a high-estrogen production factor in my genetic pattern. It created a cyst, along with the use of birth control pills in the mid 90's that damaged my ovaries and uterus. The result was a cyst, irregularity, extreme moodiness and the horrible sensitivity to light and sound. In my research to decrease the size of the cyst ( I am a scaredy-cat when it comes to knives, surgery and anesthesia)-- I discovered Wild Yam had just the right natural properties to reduce over-estrogen production which caused horrible migraines. My cyst is much smaller, I am healthier and the migraines & hot flashes, only come every three or four months now instead of constantly. I hope this helps some and I wish you a speedy recovery from your intense pain . . . sharing the light and happy new year, Miss Erica Hidvegi, the Enlightenment_Advisor, B.A. Psych/M.A. Transpersonal Studies- Cnslng/Author, Artist, Photographer, Entrepreneur & Freelance extraordinaire
Wild Yam, I have never heard of that, but I will definately do some research on it, thanks so much