Should I stay or should I go....

@aseretdd (13709)
Last month i started a discussion about having a fun job hunting since i will be out of work at the start of 2008... i have my resume ready and a few prospective companies to apply to... but then... the company owner where i worked called to say that they want me to stay and work on the necessary permits for the business... now here is the dilemma... there are a lot of pro's and con's so i would like to ask the opinion of my mylot friends... should i stay or should i go and look for another job...here are the pro's and con's Pro's 1. Hours are flexible... i don't need to wake up early and come home late at night... 2. Unlimited internet and laptop use... 3. I get to keep my food and transportation allowance... 4. I basically don't have a boss in the office because the owner is based in the capital city... 5. I get to keep the cell phone unit and they will pay the cell phone line provider... 6. I have more time with my baby... 7. I get to go to the city from time to time free of charge... Con's 1. No social security... 2. No health insurance for me or my family... 3. No job security... they can terminate my services anytime... 4. No career development... i am practically stagnant professionally... since i won't attend any seminars... 5. No work contract... 6. My boss is quite old so i have to put up with her faulty decision making to that she changes her mind quite frequently... 7. I am all alone in the office... With all these pro's and con's... if you were in my shoes... would you stay or would you go?...
@subha12 (18453)
After going through your discussion, my opinion would be if I were in your shoe i would have left the job. Actually my opinion may vary from others here as the cons you have mentioned here would have triggered me to leave my job. First of all there should be job security, career progress etc. Now both of these are not here. Again you have told that there is no haelth insurance as well. I think its better to look for another job.
@aseretdd (13709)
The cons that you mention are certainly the ones that made me think twice about staying in my current job... if only my boss would give me or at least on in my family a health insurance then without a question... i would certainly stay...thank you very much for your response...
Aside from the fact that it isn't completely secure, can you live off of the money you would make? It seems like the pros are really good for you right now (spending time with your baby), which is worth it as long as you can live off of it. If they do terminate you, well, you would just have to job hunt then verses now... I would be a little concerned about health insurance, though we haven't had it in a year and a half...
@gdisites (161)
Your pro/con list looks like what was going on in my mind when I recently had the opportunity to go and a severance pay of 30,000. I stayed. The severance will be there nest month. What I do... I interview people for jobs. If you are in the states, message me your zip code and I will see if there is something available for you. Good benefits and pay with the nations largest owner and operator of apartment complexes - Either way, you can ask me about a friend request here or read my blog to get a hold of me. www.gdisites.com/blog I will also be positing open positions with the company in the near future.
@aseretdd (13709)
Actually the pay is not that bad... it is enough to pay for the rent, utilities, and credit card debts... yes, the pro's especially that extra time for my baby is the most beneficial of all... thanks for the response...
I would keep the job while looking for a new one. It may be a while before you get another job so you might as well work until you get a new job and then give your old boss a two week or month notice. I think that is only fair. If she is any kind of a boss she will understand.
@aseretdd (13709)
Thank you very much for the response... and yes, i have already considered your advise... since it will not be a great loss for the company if in case i leave... so i am already scouting for other job openings that can give me the same priviledges and less con's that i am enjoying right now...
• Pakistan
come on. u should stay.
@aseretdd (13709)
Thank you for the response... but why do you think should i stay?...
how long have you been at this job? It really sounds like a job with terrific peripheral benefits. My concern is the lack of Social Security withholding. it will affect you way into the future which might not concern you right now :) Your ultimate SS reward is based on highest earnings in years with SS withheld. I wonder if your boss would get a health insurance policy for you and you can live with the lack of Social Security withholding until your little one is older. Did you say you're married? Can your husband have you and the baby added to his insurance coverage at work?
@aseretdd (13709)
Well my boss is not the type who will give such benefits because those things never existed during her younger days... she still lives in the dark ages of employment... i had this job for like 7 months now...and i don't think my boss will ever grant me a social security or a health insurance... my husband right now is working abroad on a contractual basis so there is also no insurance coverage...thanks for the response...
@drannhh (15226)
An old rule is that an employed job applicant is always viewed as more valuable than one between jobs, so I would stay, I think, and use the freedom to give myself more time and more advantages in securing a better job. Most places they can terminated services anytime anyway these days. Number 6 is a challenge, to be sure, but that might end up to your benefit. Is it possible she might retire?
@aseretdd (13709)
Well, she actually acts like she is already retired since she doesn't go anywhere but stays at home all day... she doesn't want to sell the company or any of ther property but takes pain in making decisions... and that puts me in a lot of dilemma... she talks about giving the company to her niece or nephew but she is not making any step to do it... but then this is a job that a lot of people would like because is is somewhat like stress free for me... if she doesn't decide on something then i don't need to lift a finger but just wait...
I will definitely stay if I were you. Your company is very generous in benefits and cares about the employees though termination may come anytime. In addition, you are free to do whatever, you like, it is an enjoyment of freedom which others do not have. I admit I, myself is very hungry for money and will do anything in order to survive except illegal jobs. I think you need to save up your money in order to prepare for the worst to come. Since your termination is unpredictable, get yourself a pile of money to survive while looking for a job after being terminated. Secondly, I will suggest looking for another job while staying in the company. This includes searching the Classified or Recruits section in the papers, sourcing through internet during your free time. If you can't afford the freedom, post your resume onto any jobs website and let employers to call you. The cons were of minor consideration, the essential consideration is how to survive in the society.
@aseretdd (13709)
Indeed... the flexible hours and the lack of a boss in the office give me the freedom others would certainly die for...thanks for specifying that... but i don't think the cons are of minor consideration since a health insurance and social security are things that we really need in case of emergency... but i will take into consideration your advice on saving enough money just in case my services are terminated... thanks for the response...
@sedel1027 (17855)
I would stay here's why: some of your cons can easily be remedied. If they want you to stay have the company right up a contract at least covering you for X amount of months and state how much notice they have to give you before terminating your employment (if they really want you there, they will agree to this), since you have more free time, then you can attend courses and you could still attend seminars at your own expense...Keep in mind, you can treat this like a temp job you can leave whenever you want once you find something better. Yes older bosses can be a pain, but I have found that they are the most grateful. Being alone is not a con, at least you can get your work done in peace.
@aseretdd (13709)
My current boss is a millionaire who still lives in the dark ages... she doesn't have a credit card nor a computer at home... so asking for a contract is out of the question... i have a laptop and internet connection in the office because her niece insisted that i get one so that we can communicate when her niece is out of the country... but she is just too darn old fashioned... i should have added this as a con... thank you for the response...