Is it illegal?

@megumiart (3781)
Is it illegal to do a tailoring or haircutting/styling service on your own, with out any certifications [like from beauty school]? I enjoy doing these things, and I was hoping I could start a service from home..
@peanutjar (5211)
Yes it is illegal and we can be fined a big large amount of money if anyones ever caught for doing this.If someone ever complained by a bad haircut and you are not in the hairdressing association,you are not protected by law and they can sue you,but if you are a qualified hairdresser who has taken a course and has a permit for cutting hair you are protected by any legal suits.I took a hairdresser course,but did not open up my own business,i figured after it was not for me,but i do have my permit and sometimes i will cut my familys hair and also friends of the family.I know im protected,even though its not a business,but i do have my papers and have taken the course for cutting hair and passed it.There are alot of rules for this kind of business and mistakes happen alot,so if i were you i would take a course for this,instead of taking a chance to get "caught",sued and paying the governmet for illegal services.You need that small tiny piece of paper from a beauty school,i mean really need it,it shows your athentication. Peanutjar:) Peanutjar:)
@aseretdd (13736)
Well, it depends on the country where you live... in my country... there is no need for a certification or license to start that kind of business... as long as you know how to cut and style hair... and there are people willing to get your services... then by all means... do it... but i think in the US... a certification or license in needed... so if you live in the US... better secure one first before venturing into that kind of business...
@Flight84 (3050)
I used to be a hair dresser, and as far as I know, it is illegal to do it on your own, but that could be relating to owning your own place. If you plan on doing it from home, then I would say you might want to check in on that. It could vary from state to state, but I know it's illegal where I'm from. Or, between you and me (ha ha), you could just have people not mention it, you know what I'm saying? Maybe just do close family and friends. Good luck!
I don't think it is, as I know a couple of people that do hair in their own homes. But the people that you service will not have a guarantee that your services are good, and will have no place to go to if they are unsatisfied. I would check the laws in your state to see if this is actually illegal or not, but I don't believe it is.
@bagumbayan (2707)
Here in our place it is not illegal as long as you can do the best. It is only now that education for such kind of job calling that some are asking for qualification but even without the schooling there are those who are well known in that field. In our office there are some free lsncer doing the haircutting during breaktime of employess. The payment is quite lesser than those offered by those with shops and they can save time. So far shes doing okey as every now and then same people ask for her services. Keep it up, who knows later on you will be having your own shop.
Here in Lousiana i know a lot of people that do hair that don't have a license to do it My boss cousin comes to our shop to cut his hair If ya do it good luck