How can we have freedom of religion if government tell us otherwise?

@kbkbooks (7030)
I got this article in e-mail and it stands for everything I believe in. Although it says Canada I think we can safely substitute the name of the US or other countries that claim to give their citizens freedom of religion. How can they say we have "freedom" and then tell us what holidays we can celebrate and how to celebrate them and how to talk to others about our holidays, even those who have the same beliefs we do! I for one don't stand for this. I won't stand in the way of others who want to celebrate their own holidays their own way, but I say MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY EASTER and any other holiday name right out loud and without fear. Come lock me up then, I dare you... The e-mail text follows: THE LAW IS THE LAW? I hope this makes its way around CANADA several times over!!! So if the CANADIAN government determines that it is against the law for the words 'God' to be on our money, then, so be it. And if that same government decides that the 'Ten Commandments' are not to be used in or on a government installation, then, so be it. And since they already have prohibited any prayer in the schools, on which they deem their authority, then so be it. I say, 'so be it,' because I would like to be a law abiding Canadian citizen. I say, 'so be it,' because I would like to think that smarter people than I are in positions to make good decisions. I would like to think that those people have the Canadian Public's best interests at heart. BUT, YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE I'D LIKE? Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God and cannot post His Commandments in Government buildings, I don't believe the Government and its employees should participate in the Easter and Christmas.... celebrations which honor the God that our government is eliminating from many facets of Canadian life. I'd like my mail delivered on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving & Easter. After all, it's just another day. I'd like our Government to be in session on Christmas, Good Friday,Thanksgiving & Easter as well as Sundays. After all, it's just another day. I'd like ALL Representatives to not have to worry about getting home for the'Christmas Break.' After all ~~~it's just another day. I'm thinking that a lot of my taxpayer dollars could be saved, if all government offices & services would work on Christmas, Good Friday & Easter. It shouldn't cost any overtime since those would be just like any other day of the week to a government that is trying to be 'politically correct.' In fact.... I think that our government should work on Sundays (initially set aside for worshiping God...) because, after all, our government says that it should be just another day.... What do you all think???? If this idea gets to enough people, maybe our elected officials will stop giving in to the minority opinions and begin, once again, to represent the majority' of ALL of the people. SO BE IT..... HELP RETURN SANITY TO CANADA!! (to the WORLD!!) The word AMEN can be translated "Let it be so" or "So be it" So... AMEN to that.
I don't know about my cousins in the north, but here in the States, the government closes on Christmas because most workers are Christians and wouldn't be coming into work anyway.Here there is a separation of church and state and that is why you can't post the Ten Commandments.But if you wanted to recite them on the steps of the courthouse, you could.If you want to celebrate Christmas in April , you could.And if you are not Christian, you are not forced to celebrate at all. But because most are Christian, you do get the days off or in some cases, you get some overtime subbing for your Christian co workers.
@kbkbooks (7030)
I know in the states there is a lot more supposed Freedom of Religion. I didn't know that non-Christians who sub for the co workers get overtime. That is kind of interesting, and kind of discriminatory at the same time. Do Christians get overtime if workers of other religions want time off on their holidays? If so, then it isn't discriminatory at all.
I think it depends on the company. I do know that there are times where the company or store needs to stay open during the Christian holidays would use their non Christian crew to keep the shop open.I know when Yom Kippur comes around, Jewish workers do take off work and Christians co workers cover in most cases. It all depends on the company. And at my work, my Muslim friend switches her hours during Ramadan.It is just common sense to be flexible because not all workers are Christian.
@Ravenladyj (22992)
"you get some overtime subbing for your Christian co workers." Yep...some places actually give you double time + 1/2 pay for working days like Xmas and whatnot...
@suspenseful (40326)
If they find that they have to work on Sundays, not have any time off on Christmas, Easter, Good Friday, and Thanksgiving, then they will change their tune. I am sick and tired of the government not honoring God, and something should be done. Once a nation forgets its God, it goes down hill and loses HIS protection. I live in Canada, but since I am a Christian, and do not believe in euthanasia, killing the unborn, worship of Santa Claus, worship of the creature rather than the Creator, and same genders should marry each other, I guess I am no longer a Canadian. Oh by the way, the only MPS that should get Sundays and sacred holidays off are those who protested against those who wanted Canada to be a secular nation. So they can enjoy time with their families. The rest can work their butts off.
@kbkbooks (7030)
I agree with you that those who support Canada being a "Christian" nation should get Sundays off and let the non supporters do that work. I also live in Canada, in case that wasn't clear to anyone, and I agree completely with you suspenseful. Thanks for participating in my discussion.
I am sorry you don't feel you are Canadian. If you were born in Canada or came and have been there 6 months straight, you are Canadian.Just because Canada is recognizing other faiths and gays doesn't and shouldn't make you less Canadian.You are up there, you live in Canada and that's where you roots are and Nothing will change that.Even if Canada became a Moslem State, you still would be a Canadian.
I am so glad that mu cousins in the north are as openminded as we are or try to be down here in The states.
I stand in applause! Amen, Amen and Amen! I have not received a copy of this in my mail box so I will send a link out of this page to everyone in my email box. Fantastic!
@kbkbooks (7030)
I would like to find out who wrote this. It's one of those emails that has been forwarded so much that it doesn't have any credits on it. I am glad you enjoyed it.
@rockvixen (895)
You know, wow, you really make a lot of strong points there. You are right, how can the goverment say not to celebrate a certain holiday or holidays, yet still have those days off in honor of our Lord God. I agree to them it should be any other day, but it's not fair for them to say otherwise for the rest of us. I enjoy Christmas, and Easter celebrations with my family, and Thanksgiving. I think that the world is changing and the goverment is trying to set some sort of standards to the rest of us. Sure take away everything but don't take away our right to celebrate God and holidays, because it is wrong. As for believing in the goverment, I don't, because I know they don't always abide by what they promise people.
@kbkbooks (7030)
In my personal opinion, government is pretty much a two faced institution no matter what country you are in. They like to do everything to suit themselves, even in so called democratic societies, not really caring what happens to the people they are supposed to help and represent.