DO NOT FEED RAISINS OR GRAPES TO YOUR DOG!! - Snopes confirmed

@kbkbooks (7030)
Canada
January 14, 2008 6:50pm CST
If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do. Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville , Ohio This week I had the first case in hi story of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medicat ions a ND they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize. This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them. Confirmation from Snopes about the above... http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
2 people like this
3 responses
@suspenseful (40326)
• Canada
15 Jan 08
I heard that you should never feed a dog chocolate, but I never knew about raisins or grapes. I never fed our dog any of those, because we did not think sweet things were dog food. We would give her peas, beans, and carrots, but no fruit, as treats. In fact, we had to be careful when we planted a garden because she would eat the pea seeds.
@kbkbooks (7030)
• Canada
15 Jan 08
I have actually read in dog magazines and books that veggies and fruits are good for a dog, especially raw, as they may help to sweeten their breath. My dog LOVES apples, but won't touch citrus. He also loves carrots and his most beloved veggie is broccoli, of course both raw. He also eats turnip raw. These raw veggies are also excellent for their teeth. For example my Maxxx loves to chew on and eat the stems of the broccoli best of all.
@gewcew23 (8012)
• United States
15 Jan 08
Thank you for the information. I don't have any inside dogs and we don't like raisins and grapes in our house. However, I did forward it to my friends and family. THanks again for the information.
1 person likes this
@kbkbooks (7030)
• Canada
15 Jan 08
Glad I could help. In my case I just realized I don't want to tell some people, like my stepson, as he will probably feed grapes to the dog on purpose. grrr.
@jewel76 (2305)
• Canada
15 Jan 08
Wow, i already knew grapes and raisins were poisonous for dogs and never gave them to my dogs, but some friends of mine didn't believe me and gave some grapes to their dogs once in a while, saying it didn't do anything...i will definately pass this along to them!! thx
1 person likes this
@kbkbooks (7030)
• Canada
15 Jan 08
Glad to know someone is being helped by this. I didn't know it before, but now I do and I will share it with as many people as I can too!!