do you wear socks at home all day in winter?

@LittleMel (14059)
A great way to stay warm and keep your hydro bill on average in winter, is to wear socks and sweater at home. This way you keep most of your body heat, and you can keep the heater temperature at 20 all winter. I wish I could wear socks when I sleep too, but sometimes it feels like my feet need to breath. I wear extra socks when I go out in winter, when I get home I take off the first layer, then when I go to sleep I have to take the 2nd layer or else I can't walk properly when I wake up. It could be the material is too thick to wear at home, maybe a size too small (but why they don't hurt when I'm outside?) or my feet needs to breath. Do you feel that way too? How many layers of socks do you use outside?
@polachicago (19143)
I have very warm shoes at home and when out, no socks needed at home...when out..just one pair of socks... I don't wear any socks at night, my comforter is very hot... I am wearing polars at home, easier to breath when colder...maybe it is easier to think too....
@LittleMel (14059)
I don't think your winter is like mine here you will need very good socks, or 2 layers if you're outside unless you wear overall thermal. even the shoes you will have to get good ones, especially if you don't drive and have to wait for the bus outside.
@polachicago (19143)
Today it is -22C....I am not taking public transportation...
@LittleMel (14059)
you are so lucky. minus 20 is nothing. we get to minus 40 in winter. I keep the heater at minus 20 at home and wear socks ans sweater to keep my body heat and in turn we can keep the heater at same temperature no matter how cold it is outside.
In the winter I wear socks 24/7 I never have socks off. I noticed a few times when I would be in the shower that my feet would be super sensitive, so, possibly socks on 24/7 is not a good idea? :P
@LittleMel (14059)
I never wear socks that long. They are off when I go to bed. Maybe it's better to take a bath instead of shower in winter
I think bath's aren't any fun unless a feminine is joining you. :P
@LittleMel (14059)
oh come on, yes it is. get a smaller bath tub :)
@saundyl (9698)
I keep my house fairly cool year round about 18 degrees celcius. I dont particularly like socks so i dont wear them around home unless i'm feeling really chilled. I also tend to wear a pair or shorts around the house when i'm not intending to go back out again.
@LittleMel (14059)
yes I don't like it too warm either inside but it is harder to warm the house than to cool it it's just how the house is built
@twoey68 (13662)
I wear socks all the time...winter, summer, spring and fall. I have Diabetes and my feet stay ice cold all the time. I found some really great fuzzy socks that keep them warm but still let them breathe...their great socks. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@LittleMel (14059)
sounds like they work to your advantage I haven't found socks like that yet
I almost never wear socks. I don't know why, I feel really uncomfortable in them. And I know that during winter, my feet are freezing but still I can't stand having socks on *laughs*. My mom would wear socks to sleep at night when it's really cold, I tried one time and I couldn't even sleep. I have to take them off like immediately *laughs*. I guess I am not used to them.
@LittleMel (14059)
yes maybe you're not used to them
@chrislotz (8207)
I wear socks all the time at home. I get really cold feet and then they get cramped up. So I have to wear socks to keep them warm. I usually have to wear my socks to bed just till the covers warm up and then I take them off or I get too hot. When I go outside for a walk or any length of time I will wear two pairs of socks in my boots. But if I am going into the vehicle I only wear one pair. When I go to someone's house I bring a pair of really thick socks my mom knits for me because I then wear them as slippers over my normal pair I have on. I find this easier to do than to take my slippers with me and I have to keep my feet warm or they really hurt.
@LittleMel (14059)
if it's really cold outside I stillw ear two laers even in the car. I am always worried that something happens to the car and I have to walk bbrrrr
Yes, as I am very afraid of the coldness in winter. I wear thick socks when I am at home in winter. I also keeps a warmer in my hands because my hands are frozen in winter.
@LittleMel (14059)
mine are too if I wear no gloves outside
I live in india IN Hyderabdad and during the winter it gets quiet cold and dry so it is essential that we cover every inch of skin in order not to loose body moisture coz of the dry ir and to keep warm.
@LittleMel (14059)
exactly keep the body heat inside by covering as much as we can
I have a hard time stay warm as it is so yes I wear my socks(2 pairs and my shoes)at home almost all day until, my feet start to hurt then I take my shoes off but socks dont come off till I go to bed.I cant sleep in socks though cause yes its like my feet cant breath. Some nights when its warm enough in my room I have to stick 1 foot outside the blankets for few min.
@LittleMel (14059)
that's exactly what I do, we do the same thing!
@pyewacket (43962)
Ick...I could never wear sweaters and socks at home...in fact the heat in my apartment is usually so warm/hot that all I lounge around in is a over-sized tee-shirt..there's no way to really regulate the heat either as there is no thermostat to adjust. I also never wear socks to bed..never that cold..besides my two furbabies keep me nice and warm and cuddle up with me when I sleep. As far as wearing socks outdoors...I only wear one pair...what I will do though on really frigid days outdoors will wear leg-warmers...the kind that dancers wear and in fact are my old dancing leg warmers...even though they are rather old they've kept in great condition and are made from the same company as Icelandic Wear
@LittleMel (14059)
I do that all the time in winter. Even if it's minus 40 outside and the floor gets cold the heater will stay at 20 I won't have a problem. The way the wind blows here, even if everything is insulated, the floor will still get cold. My bedroom is OK because it's carpeted. so I don't need socks there.
@Myrilia (212)
I *should* wear socks at home. I don't. I hate wearing socks, and I don't really like shoes, either. I go barefoot at home, even if my feet are freezing. In the summer I wear shoes or sandals that don't require socks. I wish I could go barefoot all the time! I agree that socks keep you warmer, I just don't like the feel of them on my feet. The few times I've tried to sleep with socks on, they end up at the foot of the bed, because I've kicked them off during the night.
@LittleMel (14059)
I only wear them because it's winter but now I'm used to it
@Jimmy3371 (143)
I hate sock anyway,I would rather not wear sock at any time and I hate shoes also but I have to wear them, if it was up to me and was right I would go around everyday in t-shirt and shorts and not shoes and socks but that would not work around my office I guess in my line of work that would just not fit.
@LittleMel (14059)
in winter I have to wear socks
@Yuripro84 (108)
I wear only one pair of socks at all times, and when cold, usually a jacket as well. I never have the problem of them like you do though. Try getting a larger size, it could just be, like you said, they're too small. It's possible you don't feel them outside because you have your shoes on as well :/ Don't know to be honest. Well, inside, I'll usually also wear shoes....but that's because if i walk too much without shoes, my feet hurt really bad because of some thing with my back and arch support on my feet. Even when i do walk around without shoes, I hate taking my socks off, especially when I'm walking on the marble floors/wood floors, which can get cold! luckily for me, I have a heater in my room :) The heat system for the house has poor ventilation to my room, but this thing works really good anyways :)
@LittleMel (14059)
I have another pair not so tight but then they don't work well outside because my feet still gets cold wind blows. my shoes are OK so I know it's the socks
@johnrp (70)
I wear thicker socks in winter, but still only one pair at a time. I don't wear socks to bed. I find that if I wear too much clothing to stay warm in winter, I create conditions in which rashes can develop.
@LittleMel (14059)
yes the rashes too. it could be from polyester material in the socks. or just how your skin reacts to winter. mine does that when I wear gloves, but not with socks
@suspenseful (40326)
I wear socks in the house all winter, but just one pair of socks every two or three days and when I go out I wear socks under my boots unless I go to Church and have on my pantyhose, then I wear just my boots over them and my feet get cold, but if I wear socks over my pantyhose they get runs=the pantyhose, that is. We keep the temperature at 20 which is a bother now since we are fixing up the basement and it is not insulated now and that furnace keeps coming on. I do not wear socks going to bed because we have a comforter that is so cozy and warm.
@LittleMel (14059)
I'm thinking to wear socks in bed too even if it's warm there because then I will sweat and turn the heater off. If I can do this everyday this will definitely save me a bundle. But I tried this once and I couldn't walk because my feet hurt like crazy. I could use loose socks but they don;t do a good job keeping feet warm
• Netherlands
the lowest temperature we had this winter here in holland was -3 celsius so i didnt even bother wearing a sweatshirt, or even double socks, only one pair of socks a day and a tishirt thats good enough and when i am going to bed i only sleep in my underpants :P is that enough details? :P
@williamjisir (22909)
Hello dear LittleMel. I wear only one layer of socks either at home or outside. I do not sleep with socks on, because I think that it is warmer to sleep with naked feet. Besides, I don't feel comfortable if I have to wear them to sleep. I would like to tell you my secret to stay warm on bed. That is: I have an electric blanket on bed and I always turn it on before I go to bed. This way, I do not have to worry about the cold quilt inside. Instead it is very warm when I get into the quilt and after a while I turn it off to make sure that it is safe for me to lie and sleep in the quilt. I stay warm till daybreak or when I get up. lol. Stay warm, dear LittleMel.
@LittleMel (14059)
I don't like electric blanket. My bed an blanket is enough to keep me warm so I don't need socks, if I do I will sweat instead. But outside the bedroom I wear socks because the floor can get cold when temperature drops outside.
@secretbear (19472)
we don't have a winter season here but there are times that its really so cold that i tend to wear socks even if i'm already wearing a sweater. just like recently. i couldn't stand the cold so i wore socks. and i also wear socks at night when i'm sleeping. ^__^ its not a hassle unlike in your case. it keeps my feet warm and i'm very comfortable with it. but sometimes, when i wear too loose socks, i would wake up with only one sock on, the other would be lying somewhere beneath my feet. ^__^;; but it really is a hassle when you're walking with only the socks on. i guess i'm just not used to it. ^__^;; oh, and i only wear socks outsides when i'm wearing sneakers. ^__^
@LittleMel (14059)
I heard someone has to get his toes amputated because he stood too long outside in winter without socks and shoes. I always wonder why people can be so careless
@buster14 (122)
• Fiji
I dont have to wear socks in this part of the world because its summer all year round!! No winter, but can become very humid at times!! Thanks
i usually don't wear socks for a long time. I'd always like to be airy..