You have to Read a Creepfest of a novel, "The Ruins"

"The Ruins" is Scott Smith's second novel, a horror narrative set in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico. The book tells of a group of tourists on vacation in Cancun who encounter a deadly patch of jungle, while searching for Mayan ruins. Much like Smith's first novel "A Simple Plan", this novel is engrossing because it's rooted in a plausible reality. It takes minimal effort to imagine the horrific occurrences, that come from a piece of the forest that literally comes to life. Yet, this plant life is filled with nothing but evil. The wonderful aspect about "The Ruins" is that the author alerts you of the impending doom from the very start. That creates an elusive expectation of how it is that life for the group of four young adults will end in ruin. Thankfully, it delivers a thrilling horrific adventure. The novel is filled with fully fleshed out characters and a story that while simple in nature, is a perfect setting for a heap of horrific things that occur. While the novel is filled with a great amount of death and destruction it also holds a poignant narrative that oozes with a resonating despondent feeling. Has anyone read it? What did you think?
@Aurone (4758)
I read it and wasn't terribly impressed with it. I guess a killer vine is just beyond my ability to imagine since it is improbable, and I didn't really like any of the characters and if I can't connect with a least one character in a novel then it doesn't really do anything for me. I definitely will be skipping the movie that is coming out soon.
I can surely respect your point of view, seeing as how Im guessing that each one of us entered this reading with a different expectation. I was basically entering for a horror entertaining time, and not for characther driven literature. As for myself, I am looking forward to the film.. even if I do believe that they will end up killing the image of the novel for me, with their deveations.