Famous Literary Quotes

It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech. Author: Mark Twain Source: None Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it. Author: Moses Hadas Source: None From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it. Author: Groucho Marx Source: None The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. Author: Mark Twain Source: None Avarice, envy, pride. Three fatal sparks, have set the hearts of all on Fire. Author: Dante Alighieri Source: None This life's dim windows of the soul. Distorts the heavens from pole to pole. And leads you to believe a lie when you see with, not through, the eye. Author: William Blake Source: None 'Tis an old saying, the Devil lurks behind the cross. All is not gold that glitters. From the tail of the plough, Bamba was made King of Spain; and from his silks and riches was Rodrigo cast to be devoured by the snakes. Author: Miguel de Cervantes Source: None Oh, thou hast a damnable iteration, and art indeed able to corrupt a saint. Thou hast done much harm upon me Hal, God forgive thee for it. Before I knew thee Hal, I knew nothing, and now am I, if a man should speak truly, little better than one of the wicked. Author: William Shakespeare Source: None If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Author: Henry David Thoreau Source: None Do not trust the horse, Trojans! Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks, even though they bring gifts. Author: Virgil Source: None Oh you who are born of the blood of the gods, Trojan son of Anchises, easy is the descent to hell; the door of dark Dis stands open day and night. But to retrace your steps and come out to the air above, that is work, that is labor! Author: Virgil Source: None 'That is indisputable,' was the answer, 'but in this country it is a good thing to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others.' Author: Francois Voltaire Source: None A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say. Author: Italo Calvino Source: None All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door. Author: Albert Camus Source: None I always tell people that I became a writer not because I went to school but because my mother took me to the library. I wanted to become a writer so I could see my name in the card catalog. Author: Sandra Cisneros Source: None Writing is manual labor of the mind: a job, like laying pipe. Author: John Gregory Dunne Source: None Writing is like walking in a deserted street. Out of the dust in the street you make a mud pie. Author: John LeCarre Source: None Rice Krispies happens to be one of my favorite junk foods, just as I regard Michener as superior among junk writers. Author: Christopher Lehmann Source: None The fact that writers will go through so much to remain writers says something, perhaps everything. It would be far easier (and nearly always more profitable) to become a real estate agent. Author: Maria Lenhart Source: None We breathe, we think, we conceive of our lives as narratives. Author: Christopher Lehmann Source: None All autobiography is self-indulgent. Author: Daphne Du Maurier Source: None If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it. Author: Anais Nin Source: None If you're a singer you lose your voice. A baseball player loses his arm. A writer gets more knowledge, and if he's good, the older he gets, the better he writes. Author: Mickey Spillane Source: None Thurber did not write the way a surgeon operates, he wrote the way a child skips rope, the way a mouse waltzes. Author: E. B. White Source: None Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. Author: William Wordsworth Source: None
@drannhh (15226)
I love Voltaire, too! Another Wordsworth quote with much substance and which is just as true today as when he said it is this: “In modern business it is not the crook who is to be feared most, it is the honest man who doesn't know what he is doing.”
@ladyluna (7004)
"Most anthologists of quotations are like those who eat cherries or oysters; first picking the best ones and winding up by eating everything." -Sebastian Roch Nicolas Chamfort Hello Crazyq, Great topic, and a very interesting compilation of famous quotes. I've been known to 'stash away' a noteable quote or two, myself. Fortunately, doing so on computers is a far cry better than the old days, when a pile of scrap papers would clutter my desk drawer. I just never got around to putting them all in a journal. Now we don't have to collect them, because the internet does it for us. Yeahhhh!!! In most instances references from three of my favorite historical figures come to mind: Ralph Waldo Emerson, Benjamin Franklin and Lao Tzu. Although, every once in a while a Mae West quote will pop up as being most appropriate. And yes, those would indeed be the more colorful conversations! Below are a few of my favorites: "Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it. The man who knows how will always have a job. The man who also knows why will always be his boss." -Ralph Waldo Emerson "When I have to choose between two evils, I always try to pick the one I haven't tried before." -Mae West "The wicked leader is he who the people despise. The good leader is he who the people revere. The great leader is he who the people say, 'We did it ourselves.'" - Lao Tzu "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life." -Lao Tzu As for Ben Franklin; well there are just too many to choose a favorite.