Is it true that by keeping a cat or dog at home, you will get wheezing?

I have a small cat at home. It's mother left it. I took pity on it and started feeding it. Now it has become part of my family. But some people are saying that by keeping cat or dog at home, you will get wheezing. Your breathing will get affected. I am very fond of my cat. Is this statement true?
@ElicBxn (60016)
I do NOT wheeze and I have 24 cats. You will only have breathing problems if you are allergic. If you aren't wheezing now - ignor them!!!
Thanks for the response. I need another advice from you please. A Black and white cat was lying near my house in a weak condition. It's eyes were almost closing. May be it did not eat from a long time. I felt it was having breathing problem too. I started giving milk to it and next day little bread and third day i.e. yesterday egg. There is a marvelous improvement and the breathing problem also stopped and it is moving well. The problem is, my first cat, which is six months old, is feeling jeolous of it and is acting cranky. It wants attention from us and for that acting funny, jumping more and not eating properly. We are giving good attention to it. Still it feels jeolous. You have so many cats. Are they also acting so?
@ElicBxn (60016)
Is your cat fixed? Spayed or neutered? If not, take him/her & have it done as soon as possible. This may be why it is jumping around, acting cranky, even being extra jeolous. You might check around for a low cost clinic if it hasn't been done, they do exist. Continue feeding the other cat, it does sound like it might've been malnourished, taking it to the vet as well might not be a bad idea since there are some things out there that could be communicated to your cat if not treated.
I will take the other cat to the vet doc. It is about four months old or may be less. Thanks for the advice.
If you are allergic to cats or dogs, your breathing may be effected. But millions of people have pets and don't experience any problems! Even if you do turn out to be allergic to your pet, if the allergy isn't too severe, you could simply choose to take allergy medicine. Thats what I do, because I have a cat and I am allergic to cats! Also, I've noticed that my allergy to cats has gotten much better since I've been around my cat so much!
So far no problem for any of us. I think we are not allergetic. Thanks for the response.
@williamjisir (22909)
Hello dear friend. I have also heard about this saying when I was a kid because one of my neighbours had a few cats in her house and she was really panting all the time, which seemed to be proved to be true. I do not think that everyone will be panting because of keeping cats at home. How about you, dear friend?
I have only one cat at home. One more cat is coming near my house since one week and asking for milk. It looks very weak and is about three months old. It is sick I think. Does not move around and sits in one place only. Right now only milk it drinks. I am thinking of giving egg from tomorrow. Since I have cat from five or six months only, I do not know yet any effect of it.