Skin Cancer

@carolbee (16241)
During my childhood years we didn't have air conditioning. I live in the midwest and it gets hot in this area over the summer. In order to stay cool we played outside most of the day or went swimming. about 30 years ago I began to grown funny things all over my body but primarily on my face. The diagnosis was basil cell carcenoma. This is the good kind of skin cancer as it only requires surgery and no further follow-ups. I've had many surgeries and all were done by a plastic surgeon therefore the scars are not noticeable except for one on the side of my nose. That required a skin graft from my cheek, the one on my face...lol Has anyone else had problems with old sun damage over the years that caused skin cancer?
@TerryZ (22083)
No Im so lucky. Because when I was younger I would bake in the sun. Not anymore. I know better. Getting a tan is not high on my primary list.LOL No sun tanning for me.
@carolbee (16241)
Lucky you. It was the "in" thing to do many years ago. Glad you don't have any problems. When I was a kid we were always told the sun was a great source of vitamin C. Plus it was too hot to stay inside the house. I'm real fair so it didn't take much to fry my face. Thanks for responding.
I've never had skin problems but my mom had skin cancer on her cheek. She had to have it removed but then it got infected. She ended up getting gangrene and they had to go back and reopen it, now she has a huge scar as a result. I just stay out of the sun and put on sunscreen whenever I go out for long periods doing gardening or yard work. (Well, in the summer anyway too COLD to do anything now....LOL)
@carolbee (16241)
Ouch, your poor mom. That isn't fun. I do stay out of the sun and have for many years now and wear makeup with sun screen. This is old sun damage. Thanks for responding.
@jillhill (37384)
I have not but my father did. He had tons of skin cancer because he was outside alot...farming and such. He had most of his removed at a VA center in Souix Falls So.Dak. You could hardly see the scars once they were done and it amazed me. They took over half of his nose and did such a wonderful job that only the family members that knew he had it done could tell!
@jillhill (37384)
And you are probably the only one that notices it....I have seen some that are pretty chopped up sometimes but the VA did a wonderful job on my dad! Glad yours is working out fine too!