Taxes. Do you do them yourself or pay someone?

@madasp (563)
We pay someone to do them for us. Mostly out of habit since we've gone to the same tax prep place for about 15yrs. My brother is constantly nagging me that I'd save myself a lot of money if I did them myself and I know he's right, but I just don't have the patience. How about you? Do any of you actually LIKE to do your taxes yourself?
@Sissygrl (10915)
We take our taxes to the same place every year, We have no idea what we are doing when it comes to taxes, so we take it to someone else and let them have a go at it. lol. They do take a percentage of your money if you want cashback right away, or there is a flat fee if you just getting it sent to you in the mail. If you only get a small refund, then its cheaper to get the cashback! but for hubby he would end up paying WAY too much to get cashback so we usually wait.
@madasp (563)
I'd love to be able to wait, but usually january is a rough month for us (I work in construction so i'm usually laid off) so we're always in a hurry to get money to pay off the bills. Oh well, someday we'll get ahead... LOL.
@lightningd (1041)
I have always done my taxes myself, including small business taxes. Since the IRS started allowing online filing, I find that is the way to go. I used to prepare my own taxes, take them to H&R Block for the to check and file and it was slightly cheaper than having them do the whole kit and kaboodle, and we'd usually get the tax refund anticipation loan. Now, I go to taxact.com and do them online myself. There's little chance for error, as the program walks you through the process, asking you questions regarding your dependents, ages, spouse, income, and everything. It's honnestly faster, and free usually unless you have a high income. You actually get yoru refund quicker too if you have it direct deposited into your account.
@madasp (563)
High income? I wish! LOL! thanks for the info, I'll check it out
I spoke to a young couple in Wal-mart the other day that had just exited the H&R Block booth, and I inquired as to what it cost them to get their taxes done and the refund anticipation loan, and they said 75$!!!! I told them about how to go through the IRS site and they said they would definitely do that next year. It's fast easy and free!!!!
@Modestah (11192)
the last couple of years I have used the h r block online tax prep service, it is free if you meet income requirements (per federal law and other tax sites also have to offer this) it is quick and easy and consistent with our own calculations. now filing state does cost like $20 through them - everytime I figured our state taxes we have been paying a couple hundred dollars, the last 2 years I used the online service and gotten back anywhere from $65 - $120 (then take off fee) I do not know how they came up with it, and I tried myself but could not - so for me it is better to have them prepare it!
@madasp (563)
Thats a good thing to know about the free service. Thanks, I'll have to check into that.
@kykidd (6819)
I am very frugal and a number cruncher so I really do like doing them myself. If someone did them for me it would probably take me longer to double check their work than it does just to do them myself.
@madasp (563)
LOL thats what my brother is like. I just wish he didn't live so far away or I could just make him do it!
@SukiSmiles (1998)
Ever since I got married (11 years ago) we've had someone do the taxes for us. It just scares me that I might do them wrong. I might save money, but I might miss some deduction I am suppose to take. Between being married with kids, house and small business - it's just too much for me to worry about.
@madasp (563)
Exactly! It's hard enough keeping track of the kids much less their deductions LOL
@lucgeta (925)
• France
I do it myself, it's not very complicated in my situation. In Brazil and France, the employer has to provide a letter with the taxable amount and then you enter this value in the tax forms and check your marital status and number of children/elderly dependents. Sure there are cases much more complicated and it's better to take to an accountant.
@madasp (563)
I'm hoping once my kids are all moved out our taxes will get easier, but for right now there are so many different deductions (medical,etc.)that I don't think I'd want to try it yet. thanks for responding.