How reliable is the medical information on the internet?

@ellie26 (4128)
Malaysia
When we want to look for some information on the internet, particularly medical information, we normally do our search using the search engine like google, yahoo or msn. What do you think about the content of the information? Do you think it is written by a professional doctor? Will you believe 100% of the information given? Share your thoughts.
@jennybianca (12915)
I have fairly frequently looked up medical information. I have always been aware of the unreliability of what I see & read. I guess if one looks for certain info, such as who wrote the article, whether it was a Doctor, or whatever,,. Of course, people can & do lie on the internet. How professionally a site is set up is often a key indicator. I have found medical info on the internet useful & interesting.
@Adoniah (7515)
If you go to a site that is backed by one of the big phamacutical companies or a major research hospital then I think the information should be reliable. Some of the holistic sites seem to be quackery and even laughable. But most of what I have read on reputable sites is right on. The doctors use a lot of the sites right in their offices so I guess they can't be too far off. Shalom~Adoniah
@miller1978 (1104)
When looking up medical information I most generally use WebMD instead of any of the search engines. It gives great advice. As far as being written by a professional doctor, I'm not sure. So far everything I have found out on that site turns out to be useful information and honest. I use it almost every day since I have a pretty good sized family.
@tigerdragon (4297)
what we see in the internet are just guides and first aids and not meant to replace a professional service doctors gives us. Doctors with their expertise is a sure fire rekiable than the ones that we read because we do not know what to look for and they do. even if we know the symptoms but we still do not know what kind it is. we may thought that we have these kind of symptoms but actually it is not , it's just our perception. we still need a professional advise.
thanks . ellie. do have a nice day!
@soccermom (3200)
I'll rely on my doctor. Almost all of the times I have used a medical search engine it says I have some from of goofy cancer. The intenet can never take the place of a good doctor, and I'm sure most of them loathe it when a patient comes in and says "I found this online". If it is a condition you've already been diagnosed with the internet is great for information, but definately not as a tool for self diagnosis.
@maddysmommy (16236)
I often get medical information online about certain things and often think that they are 100%. I use Webmd and a few other sites but and take that information to my own family doctor.