Can cats and dogs eat each others fdry food ?

My cats take turns sleeping at my sisters house. She lives acroos the street from me. She is also infested with mice. Now I send over a big bucket of cat food. But yesterday her dog (Scrappy)ate the cat food. At the same time I have seen my cat nibble out of (scrappy's) bowl. I think they can both eat the same food. .. But I am not the best judge of pets foods and needs. Thanks very much
@diansinta (7560)
rado (a dog) and Lee (my cat) been do that too. and i send sms to my brother (he is a vet) and actually its okay but don't give them too much. The dry food for the dog are have more protein than a cat food it self. It's make the cat hyperactive. Indeed the cat was still playing jumping in my stomach, and running around the room and make noise like "eerrrngg-errrng" (he think he was road runner), messing my hair, kicking my hand, He was fully mad! at night time (my bed time) and in the morning i have to go to work! imagine that!
Thanks so much. I don't let my cat in my room at night. I have one protecting my sisters home at night. The other has the entire house to himself. I don't like when cuddles wakes me up breathing in my face. I get scared like he wants to suck my breath. LOL But true.
@jhl930 (3607)
I actually have a dog and a cat and they are constantly eating each others food out of each others plate. Like sometimes the dog will get tired of his dog food and we will just scoop a cup of cat food up and give it to him and he will eat it and sometimes the cats like to eat the dog food so we will get a pack of his food and open it and give it to them....we have done this for many years and it hasn't hurt the dogs or the cats and they seem to be perfectly happy with eating each others food so no harm no foul!
That is nice to know. I just hope they give scrappy his own food. I can't afford to feed to cats and a dog. as well as the strays out in the yard. i buy the large bag to last two months.
Dear, Yes CATS and DOGS eat each others food. This normally happens when they are more hungry. Better owner make always timetable to feed animals, so this never happens again. Thnx, Rakesh.....
and there is dog eat cat maybe they wanta another menu to eat today
@jsmith12 (438)
Cats can go blind eating dog food. There's a certain chemical they need for their eyesight that's not added to dog food. Also, in our house, our dog gets sick if she eats our cat's food. Overall it's not a good idea, they're formulated differently, as both cats and dogs have diffrent nutritional needs.
@carolbee (16245)
I wouldn't let the dog eat the cat's food. We have a cat and a dog. I explained to the vet one day the dog is always trying to get at the cat's food. He told me to make sure the dog doesn't eat it because it's extremely fattening for a dog to eat cat food. It's not healthy and the dog seems to love it. I keep a door blocked where the cat food and litterbox are kept so the dog can't get in that room. The dog is small and the cat can jump the small cardboard box.
@ElicBxn (58575)
Cats need more protien than dogs. So, while it won't hurt a dog to eat cat food, it isn't a good idea to feed a cat a steady diet of dog food. However, since high protien diets are the cause of kidney failure and why cats die of renal failure, it probably isn't a good idea to feed that higher protien diet on a steady basis to your dog.
@sallysue (326)
Hi: We have bred dogs for many years. The vet told us to start them on soft food and as they get a little bigger to start feeding them dry cat food. Dry cat food has more protein in it than dog food. So, perhaps your dog was started on cat food and they seem to have a hankering for it now and again.
LOL I have seen this too when I went to my friends place, he has 3 cats and one dog... they all eat from eachothers bowls... It looked very strange but they didnt get unhealthy or anything so I guess its fine!
@shrub62 (42)
I am not an expert either, but I do know that cat and dog food is formulated differently. Cats and dogs have different needs. My cats and dogs have on occasion eaten each others foods and it does not hurt them but I did have one cat that was getting skinny and I feel that is in part because she is eating too much of the dog food. I have started keeping her out of it and getting a cat food that she likes better. I don't think there is any harm as long as you keep an eye on the cat and make sure they are not losing too much weight. I don't think anything can hurt a dog. You would not believe what our dog eats and it never does a thing to him. Yuck!!
They can eat the same food, but a vet in my town said its not healthy for them. I guess when a dog eats cat food it doesn't get all of the nutrients it needs, and the same for cats.
@mamakat (321)
From what I've heard, it isn't really recommended to let cats eat dog food because dog foods aren't specifically formulated to meet the nutritional needs of cats. I wouldn't think there is anything in dog food that could really hurt a cat if it ate *some* occasionally. But it definitely isn't good if that's the main staple of a cat's diet. One biggie is that cats are 'obligate carnivores'(need more meat than anything else in their diet) and dogs. . . aren't. Therefore cats need more meat than dogs do to keep them healthy. One of the most important ingredients in cat food which probably isn't in dog food is taurine, which comes from tuna and other animal tissue. Taurine is an essential amino acid that cats require in their diet to keep them healthy. Since taurine isn't crucial to a dog's health, it isn't added to their food and a cat that eats mainly or only dog food will be missing this in their diet. So in essence, if kitty gets into the dog food occasionally, it won't really hurt. But if you find that the cat is not eating his food and just partaking of Scrappy's fare, you'll need to make sure kitty goes back to his own food. As for Scrappy eating the cat food, that isn't a problem at all. Since cat foods are basically all meat based, they are very appealing (smell and taste) to dogs. While dogs can eat a combination diet of meat, vegetables, and grains, they may prefer to eat the all meat-based (cat) food if it's available. Kind of like if a person is given the choice between a plate of prime rib or broccoli. . . they'll choose the prime rib. lol
Cats and dogs CAN eat each others food, there is no harm just dont let them keep doing it for the sake of certain nutrients
@pudgles (414)
My mom has a cat and a dog, yet, the dog refuses to eat dog food and the cat refuses to eat out of her own bowl. so my mom puts dry cat food in the dogs bowl, and they both share that. as strange as it is, they even cuddle up in the dog bed to nap. alot of times though the cat just likes to be a cat and aggrevate the dog, but in the end, they are still friends.... I don't think it will harm them to eat each others food, but you can always ask a vet if you want to be safe. have a good day.
@Bev1986 (1428)
I don't think it's any big deal. My dog eats our cats food all the time! She leaves the cats alone as long as they are eating and I'm in the room, but the minute I walk out the door, she pushes them aside and gobbles up their food! I don't think I've ever seen the cats eat the dogs food though... probably because the dog eats it all before they get a chance though! lol!
@goldeneagle (6776)
It wont hurt them. I have seen animals do it a lot. What is really interesting, though, is that my dad has a German Shepherd that goes with him every day to feed their horses, and that dog loves the horse food. He eats a little of it every afternoon while my dad is out there feeding the other animals. The dog has his own little dish down at the barn and my dad gives him a handful of horse food every day. LOL
@jezzmay (1845)
My cat and dog eat each others food,and they are heatlhy. I have had them to the vet and he says they are o.k.So I guess it does not hurt them.It might if it was all they ate,but when they get their regular food and just eat some of the other it is not going to hurt them.
@Lili2008 (91)
My cat Mimo likes to eat dog's food,and I thing that is not wrong if he likes it more than cat's food.Dogs have many kinds of food than cats have .Therfore you can try to give your cat too,it won't happen anything ,will see that your cat will like it.
@palonghorn (5492)
I used to have a golden retriever that would eat the cat food and my cat ate the dog food, they both lived long healthy lives. My golden would also get into the horse feed if no one was looking, lol, it had molasses in it and she loved the sweet taste. That never hurt her either, she lived to be 14.
@newfette (340)
Eating cat food probably won't hurt scrappy, but he shouldn't eat it all of the time. Cats and dogs require different diets. Cats are pure carnivores(eat all meat), dogs are omnivorous(eat plants and meat). So cat food can be too rich for dogs, so it can cause digestive problems and obesitty. Because of the extra fat and calories dogs often like cat food better. Keep on eye on scrappy and make sure he doesn't eat cat food on a daily basis. As for the cats, they cannot live on dog food. It doesn't provide them with all the nutrients they need. Just try and keep food separate and in a place where scrappy can't eat the cat food and cats can't eat scrappy's food.
I work around dogs and cats, and it is not uncommon for the 2 species to share eachothers food. As long as they get the proper food normally, eating the others food will not harm the animal. Sometime at my work we are even told by the pets parent to give a dog cat food or visa versa, for health reasons.