How do you show respect to the real heroes?

@mimpi1911 (25454)
Col Vasant Venugopal, Captain R Harshan, Naib Subedar Chunni Lal...how many of us know these people, I wonder! But they are the reason we are living with head held high still. These three Army personnel have been awarded with the Ashok Chakra this year on the occasion of Republic Day, this is the highest peacetime award for gallantry. Their valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice is why we are so safe and secure. I am guilty that apart from the times I see them on media, I hardly remember them! I think, they deserve much more than this and we civilians should do our bit of showing warm gestures to our real heroes. Would like to have your valuable opinion on this. Thank you all. I know that this is getting long but just can't wait to share the following with you. I am sure you will be thrilled as well. Col Vasant Venugopal was a commanding officer of 9 Marathas. Under his command, the battalion killed nine foreign terrorists in Uri Sector of Jammu and Kashmir on July 31, 2007. He left behind his wife Subhashini, and daughters Rukmini, and Yashoda. Captain R Harshan of 2 Paras (special forces), at 25 is the youngest Ashok Chakra winner in India's history, he had packed his bag to go home on a leave when he received information about terrorist movement in north Kashmir, March last year. He killed two of them before succumbing to his injuries. Naib Subedar Chunni Lal, had already won a sena medal and a Vir Chakra for gallantry before he was awarded India's highest peace time gallantry award, the Ashok Chakra for killing three terrorists in the Kupwara sector in June last year. KUDOS TO ALL SOLDIERS.
@balasri (26554)
When I just started searching for your presence here because of he short interval I have come across this discussion.It makes me feel heavy hearted and really sorry for those martyrs and it is really a shame that they are not remembered by the people for whom they have shed their blood.This selfishness and not being unconcerned about the good things are really a malice.We know what the present media is plagued and obsessed with .We also know how the youngsters are preoccupied with.Well the Government is very busy in attaining that 9% or 9 1/2 % growth.I wonder whether it can be called a growth with our minds not even trying to grow. I think that it was not this bad before when actors like Manoj kumar made movie like Uphaar and Poorab aur Pachim.Now the leading actors do the chepest act of mimicking Manoj and earning their crores. It is not a secret that where the problem lies.The primary problem is with our leaders who has failed to make the people like them.Or atleast not to hate them.How can be citizen of a country is accepted to have a soft corner for the soldiers where the Government is charged with the corruption in buying the coffins of the so called martyrs.Disgusting and shame to the core.
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Bala, cannot say how heart broken I am. Right now I am totally speechless. Your response it so true that I scare the proper growth of fresh human minds! You have always lived up to my feelings. This one is no exception. Thanks. PS: was waiting for your response...
@balasri (26554)
Thank you for giving me a chance to share my feelings on this issue.I think that you have made me to post the lengthiest response ever in mylot.And I have to thank you again for starting a subject which has been nagging me too for a long time. We are the most unfaithful, self centered and unruly crowd that you can come across.We need leaders,who can make real meaning to that word leader.Yatha raja dhatha praja.
@mimpi1911 (25454)
You have just portrayed essentially an Indian to the core. It indeed shameful and scary to see the reflection on the mirror. A lot has been said but I truly hope some real good visionary comes up with his right kinda vision. Thanks Bala.
@izathewzia (5142)
There are a lot of heroes totally forgotten. The best way to show respect for them is to include them in our daily prayers. For withothem, as you've said, we will not be where we are right now.
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Hi friend, very well said. I really appreciate your point of view and hope that more and more people become aware of their existence and show respect to the soldiers who are actually responsible for that. Media no doubt, has a greater role to play and instead of the spy cams and scoops they should devote a little time everyday to show case one soldier. Thanks.
@balasri (26554)
Including them in our daily prayers is a wonderful idea my friend.Imagine the whole schools in India praying in unison for them early in the morning.The heaven will listen.
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Sorry izathewzia, sorry I read 'papers' instead of 'prayers'. Your response gets more substantial now. I really appreciate.
@soulist (2987)
I respect our heroes in different ways. I have been pen pals to soliders in Iraq, and send cards and care packages to let them know someone cares. I've sent up prayers and if i find out someone is a military person i give hugs. Not much, but soemthing
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Hi friend, this is so elevating! you are doing something noble and I really appreciate your gesture. Great work there!
@dpk262006 (56170)
Very Pertinent Post! I fully agree with you. I am somehow associated with working of our Armed Froces, so this post becomes more relevant and important for me. It is true that the above mentioned heroes are not given due credit by the people and I think by the media too. It is the responsibility of our media to highlight their highly commendable deeds. Media remains more interested in highlighting trivial and inconsequential issues, which does not help people much. Electronic Media only look at their TRP, they are not much willing to show stories of this kind. Even print media do not normally carry stories of our heroes from Armed Forces. Most of the people may not be aware that all the three mentioned by you, are Ashok Chakra awardees and their kith and kin were awarded Ashok Chakra on 26th January by Hon'ble President of India, just before the commencement of Republic Day Parade at Rajpath, New Delhi (except the last one). Full marks to you for raising such an important issue of national importance and which effects all of us.
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Thanks deepak. Its really feels nice to know someone related to defence forces. We are so busy these days that we hardly care about others let alone the soldiers. I feel sad and want to do so many things but its again a groovy thing! I come back to the same place again and again! Thanks for responding to this post so whole heartedly. I am really hurt to see the number of responses this has got as of now, only 2! That shows the level of our thoughtfulness. Thanks you very much. You have always lived up to my thoughts.
@drannhh (15226)
Yeppers, they are often forgotten. I make sure my sweet veteran husband is not forgotten though, for the many years he was in the military. He is my biggest hero!
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Oh hun, you get to love and revere a military man everyday!! lucky you! lol.. Jokes apart, It feels great to hear that you are that part of the society which takes care of us day in and day out.