Have you written your obituary?

@whittby (3073)
It is not as uncommon as you might think. Some funeral homes will ask you if you would like to include a copy of your obituary with your prepaid funeral arrangements. Some folks have their obituary written up and stored in a safe deposit box. Wouldn't you like to write your own and save your relatives the stress of coming up with one? Not to be morbid here, and I don't want to depress you all. But something to consider. Whit
@aseretdd (13736)
I have never thought about writing my own obituary since i believe... i still have a long way to go before i die... but i will think about it... now that you mentioned how important it is... i also do not want some corny nonsense written on my tombstone... so i will think about my own obituary... more or less in the near future... nice discussion...
@whittby (3073)
Oh I don't want any corny nonsense either. That would be so wrong for me anyway. whit
@my52cents (569)
I think that would be a fun project, actually. A lot of times I'll read an interesting obituary and figure the dearly departed wrote it him/herself. I'm sure I could come up with an obituary that would be much more interesting than a fill-in-the-blanks version. Glad you brought it up!
@whittby (3073)
I think when the time comes, family may not be so well prepared and would end up with a cut and dried, what you called fill in the blanks at the newspaper/mortuary. I have a rough draft so far, not too happy with it but it's a work in progress I guess. Whit
@carolbee (16241)
This is one thing we haven't done yet but have been thinking about it when we travel together. Everything else is complete. The plots, life insurance and arrangements with the house and cars. We are in good shape and so are our kids. They will owe nothing and this is what we strived for once we had children. It's not what I would consider morbid as it's reality.
@whittby (3073)
No, I don't consider it morbid either. I think the kids might appreciate reading what you had to say...Whit
Is truly a good idea, just have never given it any thought.
@whittby (3073)
I never gave it much thought either. I think I was reading a writeup in the paper one day and thought, oh surely someone could have done better than that...and there went the idea. Whit