Hubby is mad at the Post Office again!

@estherlou (5017)
We had to pay our yearly house taxes. He mailed a check for $1740 at the drop box at the main post office. It was going to a local P.O. box, which meant that the check should have gone into their box that day or by the 29th or 30th at the very latest. He called the tax accessors office on Feb. 4th to see why the check hadn't made it back to our bank and was told they hadn't received payment yet! And since it was now past the 1st of the month, he now owed an additional $120 in interest and penalty fees! Boy was he hot! He feels the stamp should count as a contract between the post office and the customer...a promise to deliver in a timely manner! Now he's also looking at a fee to stop payment on the lost check. Of course, if it shows up soon, they'll check for the post-marked date to see if we actually mailed it on time and then we won't owe the late fee. Hubby feels the post office should have to pay his late penalty fees! I say good luck!
@sylvrrain (661)
That is a lot in interest for being a few days late, what county do you live in? Anyway, the area that I live in has a post office just down the road, not even two miles from me. I have noticed that the mail gets sent to a sorting facility 80 miles away (richmond, va) before it comes back to this area. It is ridiculous. Good luck getting them to go by the date on the postmark. I hope they do knock the interest out for you. If not, I would drive to the courthouse and personally give them the check next year.
@estherlou (5017)
The check cleared the bank. When he called the tax office, he was told it came thru on January 31st! Hello? When he called on the 4th, they said it hadn't come in yet. I told him it was one of those cases of different departments not knowing what was going on in the other department. Go figure. Anyway...the payment was made before the 1st and so no penalties! He's no longer mad at the post office, but doesn't trust them any longer either. We're just glad he didn't have to stop payment on the check and that we don't owe any extra money!
@reinydawn (11649)
Yeah, good luck! We do almost all our bills on-line, it's pretty much automatic now. One thing that is really funny here. Anything we mail has to go to Baltimore first. So if I'm sending out mail to my nieghbors, it will take a day to get to Baltimore, then a day to get back down here and get sorted, then a day to get to them. Three days to get something across the street.
@sid556 (31005)
I agree and I'd push to go by the post marked date. If your hubby addressed the envelope wrong and that be the reason why it was let then of course...his bad but beyond that it is a situation beyond his control and i would hope that late fees and all be dropped. I don't blame him for being upset at all. There is a fee for stop payment on a check and if it turns out this is the mail's fault, I would seriously be asking the post office for a rebate.
@freak369 (4974)
We had several people complain that their payments hadn't arrived, missing mail and other issues with things that were mail. More and more people started complaining until the list was over 150 - it was only then that the postal officials publicly admitted that there were bags of mail missing. That was the beginning of January and included mail that was taken into the post office and mailed at the drop box. So far the missing mail has not been found and all the post office is willing to do is give you a letter saying that there were some "issues" with things missing.
@lingli_78 (12844)
oh i will be very mad as well if i were your hubby... i think your hubby is right... the post office should pay for all the penalties that is being imposed to your hubby because it is their fault... we already pay for the service (buying stamp) and it is their duty to send the mail to the proper destination on time... i will fight with the post office for my right... good luck...
@terri0824 (4991)
You would think that since he used the drop box at the office that he would get quicker service as opposed to one that is on the corner mailbox. I guess the next time he will just have to go to the tax assessors office and make payment to be sure that it gets there in time. I know that I can pay mine at my bank, and which I usually do, but running behind on mine, so will have to send to the tax assessors office for last years taxes.
@schilds (410)
I don't pay anything by mail if I can possibly avoid it. A couple years ago I sent a money order that never turned up. When I cleaned out my wallet a couple of weeks later I threw out June and kept Jan receipt. When they called to tell me they hadn't gotten the payment I pulled the receipt to file a lost mo and was out of luck since I had the wrong receipt. This year I mailed in my insurance payment and they never recieved it. I had a lapse in my coverage, and a $250 fine per vehicle (3) from the DMV. Now if I cant drop it off in person - I pay electronically.
@dlkuku (1936)
I don't trust the Post Office. My older daughter got married last June, she lives in Pennsylvania. She sent her invitations out in April of last year. However my father who lives in Texas never recieved his in time, he was very hurt thinking she didn't send him one. I talked to her and she insisted she had. He finally recieved it in August, it was postmarked April 3rd. The kicker is it was addressed correctly, so why did it take so long? And the post office wonders why more and more people are using email and paying bills online. With service like that who can blame them?
@jillmalitz (5132)
Can't really trust anything any more. Occasionally the post office messes things up. Also some businesses irritate me when I pay bills. We dont have a bank account so we pay cash for everything. Here you can go to some grocery stores to pay some of the bills. I always pay my phone, cable, electric and gas at these places on the due date. I never have any late charges if I pay that way. But when I pay my water bill on the due date I may still be charged late fees because they dont post the payments on time. I actually called them one time cause I paid on the due date one month which happened to be on a Friday so according to them it would not be posted until the following week making me late. Doesn't make sense to me. I dont have a problem with any one but them. Since we live paycheck to paycheck I have only so much money at certain times. You would think that as long as something is postmarked or paid on the due date things would be ok. I have to wonder where your check went?
@mcc371 (918)
I have had this happen before. I was very upset with it too. I ended up paying the charges on my taxes. I mailed it at our local post office and then I received a second notice that taxes were past due I called them and they hadn't received the check. So i went to the post office they wasn't very helpful either. When you mail stuff here they usually get it the next day. I had mailed the check on the 26th of jan. which should have given them plenty of time to receive and post it. When it did show up at the tax office it was cancelled on the jan. 30th ..FOUR days later!!! I was furious then..I went back to the post office and they told me that everyone the last week of jan mails there taxes and they get backed up that it is not there fault when I knew ALL month they needed to be mailed and should know that the post office will get swamped during that week. I went to the tax office and argued with them...It did no good they didn't even care when it was post marked she said that even though it was they have to have time also to process it and in the future to mail it earlier or bring it in their office and they will do it right then if we are gonna continue to wait until the last minute. She also said whenever there clerk enters it in the computer is what day they go by. I hate it too so this year I just went in their office and had them enter it in their computer right then and got a receipt not very time wise for me but at least i don't have to give extra and I know it has been paid. I wish you the best of luck and hope that it will work out in your favor.
@mummymo (23707)
I agree with your hubby - when you buy a stamp and stick it on an envelope you are entering a contract with the Post Office but they very rarely honour that contract when something goes wrong! I guess I can see their point as it could leave them wide open to all the scammers out there so instead the genuine people are the ones who suffer! xxx
Aw real bad luck I would say. It does happen though that the most important things for us somehow get delayed and at the post office, oh you don’t really know which letter can go where. He is right though in thinking about it as a contract though I am not very hopeful of consumer legal battles. Anyway, I hope the cheque is traced and the dept can see that it was posted well in time. Otherwise I think you may have to go to court to settle your dues fairly.
It sounds like it is in someone elses assount or is sitting on someones desk. Good luck to you I hope you do not have to pay the pently.
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
I'm with you girlfriend, "Good Luck" is in order but I do agree with your hubby, and maybe if the post office assumed some responsibility perhaps things would improve drastically.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Well I dont blame hubby for being mad the post office is surpose to take care of these things . BUt good thing it didnt get there and they tore it up like they did to one of out house payments we always send 2 checks and they are opened up by a machine and one of the checks didnt come out of the envelope so they trashed it! Boy did I have a time about that one now I qwrite 2 checks enclosed and it hasnt happened again! Good luck with PO paying the fees!
That is so frustrating and scary. The mail can lose things so easily that is why I am so happy using my online banking to pay all my bills. That way nothing gets lost and you have an immediate record of payment.
It sounds as if you guys have particularly bad service. I do not know what I would do to change this in the future. Possibly go inside, and ask the clerk to hand cancel. I would be fuming as well. I just hope it did not slide under a counter or behind something. I have had that happen with a night deposit to a bank once. Good luck.
@jhl930 (3605)
I completely agree with your husband I think that if you mailed the check on time or before it was time to mail the check and you put it in the post office box and it was the post offices fault that the payment never got there in time I think that the post office should have to pay the late fees and I think taht your husband has the right to be mad...I mean we do pay taxes so that places like the post office can stay open so its like they are suppose to work for us and this is how they repay us by getting us charged more!