What a crock! Anyone else see this story?!?

@lisado (1230)
I can't imagine going thru this! This man must have the patience of a saint! No way I'd pay my twin's outstanding ticket because the state couldn't get it straight in the system! I'd seriously be getting an attorney at the least and suing to get best all of the lost fees and such he's paid out trying to get this resolved since he's been having to "fix it" every year and they keep messing it up over and over again, and now they dare threaten to put him in jail for it?!? I would throw a hissy fit!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "A judge threatened a man with arrest if he didn't pay twin's 17-year-old traffic tix ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SINCE NOVEMBER, Edward Stanley Harris has been paying Philadelphia Traffic Court $100 per month on a bill of $1,811.50 for tickets issued 17 years ago - which the court has admitted aren't even his. He's paying them off because, he says, a Traffic Court judge said he'd arrest him if he didn't. Harris, a producer at CN8 Sports, has never been inside a prison cell, and he'd like to keep it that way. So he's writing those monthly checks to Traffic Court. But he says it's not fair. Gee, ya think? This guy's story is one of the wackiest ones I've ever heard, with twists, turns, infuriating judges and - wait for it - a long-lost twin. If this weren't Philly, you'd assume Harris made up his story. Alas, this is Philly. It all started on Aug. 8, 1967, when Edward Stanley Harris and his twin brother, Edwin Shelby Harris, were born. Some might question the wisdom of a mother giving her twin sons, who share the same birth date and home address, such similar names. At least the kids weren't identical. All was well until the period between October 1990 and May 1991, when Edwin received eight traffic tickets, on three separate occasions, for moving violations. In September 1991, Edwin pleaded guilty in Traffic Court to the violations and was ordered to pay $1,501. Edwin never paid. Over the next 17 years, he fell on hard times, drifted South and stayed in touch with Edward only sporadically. In the fall of 1992, PennDOT's driver-licensing bureau notified Edward that his license would be suspended for nonpayment of tickets. Realizing that PennDOT had confused him with his twin, Edward went to Philadelphia Traffic Court to straighten things out. The court wrote PennDOT, confirming that the tickets belonged to Edwin, not Edward. Thankfully, PennDOT withdrew the suspension threat. Nonetheless, between November 1992 and June 2007, the routine repeated itself, like a scene from "Groundhog Day": Every year or so, PennDOT re-discovered those same, unpaid tickets of Edwin's, decided they belonged to Edward, and threatened to suspend Edward's license. Each time, Edward returned to Traffic Court, and the suspension threat got lifted. So Edward assumed the same annoying scenario would repeat itself last Nov. 21, when he took his latest license-suspension notice before Traffic Court Judge Willie Adams. According to Edward, Adams wouldn't listen to his saga or review the copious paperwork that Edward supplied to support his innocence. Instead, Adams ordered Edward to pay off the tickets - the costs, with fees, had grown to $1,811.50 - at a rate of $100 a month. Edward filed a petition to appeal the decision but also started paying the monthly fee, since, he said, Adams threatened an arrest if he didn't. Last Thursday, during Edward's appeal hearing at the Criminal Justice Center, the payment order against him was withdrawn. The sympathetic clerk there suggested that Edward go to Traffic Court to get his money back, as it's the only entity that can straighten things out. And "Groundhog Day" began again. OK, so it's understandable that PennDOT confused Edward and Edwin the first time. The guys share similar first names, and their middle initials, last name and birth dates are identical. They even shared the same address back in 1991, when they lived at home with their mom. But there's no excuse for PennDOT's incompetence since then, nor Traffic Court's. As for Judge Adams, his actions are just baffling. "I am very, very pissed," says Edward, now 40, who estimates that, over the last 17 years, he has made 20 trips to Traffic Court and has lost close to $3,000 in court fees and missed time from work. "This could be solved if someone felt like fixing it," says Edward, who also has asked City Council members for help, to no avail. "I can't get anyone to care. My biggest fear is that I'll be pulled over for a broken taillight and someone will say my license is suspended and I'll lose my job," which routinely requires him to drive CN8 vehicles. A staff person for Traffic Court's administrative judge, Bernice DeAngelis, said 10 days ago that the judge would look into Edward's plight. But despite my repeated calls to DeAngelis last week, only silence has come from her 8th and Spring Garden locale. Nor could I reach Edward's brother, Edwin, at his last known phone number, to ask if he plans to pay off those old tickets any time soon. Y'know, given the nonsense they've caused his twin. Then again, PennDOT and Philadelphia Traffic Court have had 17 years to fix this for Edward. Instead they keep going after him like he's his brother's keeper. Or his brother's ATM. "The people in Traffic Court do their best, but PennDOT is a bloodless bureaucracy, devoid of compassion," says Norristown lawyer and driver's-license expert Basil Beck III, whom I called for advice on Edward's behalf. "This guy needs a lawyer." And a big, fat apology. http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080204_Ronnie_Polaneczky__Oh__brother_.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@twoey68 (13651)
It's unbelievable that a judge would order someone to pay something that isn't even theirs to pay or go to jail. That judge ought to be disbarred. It kind of reminds me of Hubby's child support situation. He applied for a re-evaluation of the amount when he first became disabled and was applying for his SSA, the child support enforcement "lost" the paperwork and even though they admitted they screwed up, they told him if he wanted to go to court and fight it he could but it would probably cost him just as much if not more to fight it then just to pay it and get it over with. Needless to say, we have 2 years left and we are done. !!HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!! **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@twoey68 (13651)
BTW, if I was him the next time I saw my brother, I'd be taking $1,800. out of his a**!! !!HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!! **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@lisado (1230)
I agree with both counts! The judge aught to have something done to him for going after someone who he knows isn't at fault and if that were my brother he'd better make sure I didn't find him because the court did! That stinks about the child support issue. It isn't fair when stuff like that happens. It's out of your control, not your fault and they know it, but no one will do anything to help you.
@jhl930 (3605)
Wow you are right whenever you say that this person has a patients of a saint because If i had to go through half of this I think that I would have done lost all of my patients...I mean really this is the united states of america....suppose to be the easiest place in the world to live but I don't know how anyone coul go through this...I think I would have been ready to call it quits early on in..and this man took it all the way through!
@lisado (1230)
I don't know how he did it. I imagine I would have lost it by the second or third time. No way would I have been able to calmly let this go for as long as he did.
Wow there are quite a few things that I woudl do for my twin sister but this would really be stretching family ties.
Wow... now that would absolutely frustrate me to no end if something like that every happened to me! I really cannot believe how much this guy has had to go through because of the court system, and it would seem to me he is owed a lot more than an apology!
@onesiobhan (1330)
I'd definitely be getting a lawyer. My mother gets collections calls all the time for some woman who has the same name. But nobody tries to make her *pay* them.