What is with the ages of some people in their profile?

@caramello (4382)
Australia
Am slightly amused as looking up people and their profiles some are aged in their eighties! Well done I thought when I first noticed this that someone who has lived as long as this can get pleasure out of the Computor. But then reading what they have responded to and how they have worded things, I thought this cannot be so! No offense to anyone who is this great age, would only admire them, but it is a little funny! What do you think?
@theprogamer (10543)
I've seen a few people do this, and a couple actually admit its not their real age. Well most times they shoot way too high and its too obvious (81... yeah right... -_-) Some do it to get attention, others to protect themselves (that was the given reason). I have seen a bit of age discrimination on the lot, most notably towards younger members. I've seen posts, discussions, responses all disregarded, ignored or taken for granted because "they haven't been around". What an insult.
@caramello (4382)
So could be an attention thingy progmamer, well they got mine that is for sure. Sometimes I feel the younger ones know a lot more than us oldies, but trying to keep up is a good challenge, but a shame that discrimination has to come into it. Just have a bit of fun, don't you think?
@theprogamer (10543)
Yeah, got a point there with the conduct. I still get irritated (obviously) at it when it comes up, but yes its better to just move on from it, and continue to enjoy mylot.
@caramello (4382)
Definately enjoy it as life is far too short to get ones knickers in a knot! lol
@lilaclady (28270)
Oh I can answer this one as I am guilty, I don't usually join sites where you have to show your age, not many people even friends know my age, I think age is a number that slots into a box that gives people a certain image of that person, and it is surprising how many people expect one to act your age...believe me,
@caramello (4382)
Well lilaclady I never took you as one to hide your age, but have a slight feeling you are younger than what you have on your profile. I must say I do tell my age all the time, have no problem with it, but have had a little trouble in another site awhile back, and the age was the issue as I saw things differently. But now I don't take things as much to heart (or try not to) as I am only in this for the fun.
@lilaclady (28270)
I know what you are saying, but I don't think age is relevant at all in a site like this so I just prefer not to.. :)
@caramello (4382)
Of course you are quite right, age is not relevant at all but giving it out is a matter of choice. But when I did first come across it that a person had the age in their 80's I did think it was their true age, and thought how wonderful it was that they were on here and making the most of their life. But now I have seen the reason for it and still don't think it is a problem.
@moneyandgc (3438)
I notice this sometimes too. There are a couple of people that I know change their age purposely as a means to protect their identity. Maybe I should be more careful myself, but I use my real age and well...my avatar is a picture of me! If I have read a discussion and they are talking about raising a newborn and a 3 year old and their profile says they are 88 I just laugh. I don't really think much about it.
@caramello (4382)
We do tend to sometimes give out a little too much info. on the internet in general, as these days someone can actually take away your identity, which I was horrified when I first heard this. But our names are not in here, so guess I thought we would be safe. But yes raising a couple of young ones at the age of 88 would raise an eyebrow. lol Although not much surprises me anymore!
@twoey68 (13662)
I've seen a few 100's and 2's listed for age...I don't know why anyone would do that...I mean if you don't want to put your real age (like mine is 40) shave it down and put 35 or 30...nobody but you would know. I also see alot that mark Unspecified as to where they live. I don't understand that either. I don't put my city/town but I do put Missouri after Missouri is a big state and I doubt anyone on MyLot is going to take the time to go door to door in Missouri to try to find me. !!HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!! **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@caramello (4382)
As for where we live twoey I did not have a problem with that either, as there is no name involved so a bit hard to find me, I hope! lol Anyway the age to me does not bother me as I find over the years and getting older I don't have a problem with admitting it. But that is just who I am.
@gabs8513 (48803)
Well I really don't know the ones that amaze me are the ones that are over 100 I am on another Site and it Y lol I am there to but I am also on R and the amount of People that are on there at the age of 104 it is so amazing so I think sometimes they are not honest with their age
@caramello (4382)
It certainly looks that way that they may not be honest when they are putting the age of 100+ as that would be great to be able to still have quality of life and enjoying it by being on the computor. But as it has been pointed out now that it is the person who belongs to the profile that chooses this and not a mistake. It does answer my curiousness I guess!
@Aussies2007 (5339)
I don't know. It is not impossible. I am sure that there are quite a few 70 year old on the Internet. Don't forget that while the internet is only about 15 year old... some people have been working with computers all their life since the sixties. In which case... the internet would be no problem for such a person... despite him being 70. People who did work with old computers know a heck of a lot more about computers than the people of today. I for one started out with an old IBM 286... and it was the fondation of everything I know today.
@caramello (4382)
No it is not impossible, and if the age is correct at any stage in here one can only admire for giving it a go. But I have now found, as I thought it was an error at first, that some are actually doing it this way. So it explains my confusion and the reason is for the best for those who choose this. I myself have only been using the computor for the last 5 years since moving out to rural land, must say some days it has kept my sanity (if that is at all possible) as it was like a fear when I first started.
@Winter08 (441)
I started my profile with age 29 as friends suggested using an alternate age. But then I was responding to discussions with "when I was a kid growing up on the farm" ... a phrase that can really date a person. So I changed the age to something in the 40s. Didn't feel right. So I listed my actual age. Now I can respond without monitoring for age appropriate terminology. As for the discrimination that has been mentioned in other postings here, mine was a reverse type. With the younger aged discussions, I felt I might not have anything to say that would be relevent to their discussions. I didn't think of this as discrimination until I started reading the postings here. With the "older" set (the 80s), my discrimination was ... what if they die? If they die in the midst of a discussion... how does it get completed? So why bother responding to the 80s discussions? Of course, my discriminations are irrational. I will now drop them. I hope. Age is just a label. It's the content and personality that count.
@caramello (4382)
This discussion has bought up some very interesting responses and different ones at that. But the idea of learning and finding out reasons for things happening is a great way to understand what goes on in here and also out there! I did not realise that discrimination could come from someones age, but the only discimination I would have had is someone having a go at me and the responses not making sense. (Just like the one I have just given you!) lol
@Winter08 (441)
Say what!? Actually, I think I was able to make sense of your reply. I think? Maybe? Seriously, though, thank you for my first best response. I have been very much enjoying the world of myLot. What an incredible group of people!
@honeylore23 (1086)
Yeah, I noticed also that, as there are times that I look on profiles. I do noticed but I tend not to react because I know it is just easy not to tell the exact age, you can just have it type. But then, it doesn't matter to me, whether they are still young or they are already old. WE have no means to discover how old they really are or whether they are telling the truth. And even by reading on their posts we cannot exactly tell how old they are as maturity of every person differ to many different factors. So I just enjoy myself posting.
@caramello (4382)
It is all about enjoying ourselves posting in here and the age is not important, well for me it isn't. I am open with my age and when I reach the 80's or should I say if, if my mind is active enough to type in here or anywhere then what a blessing that would be. And quite often it is hard to judge someones age by their discussion and we are all different.