How do you get your credit cards to lower your interest rate?

I have heard that people call credit card companies and get their interest rates lowered. How do you go about that? Do you just call the regular customer service number? What do you say to convince them to lower the rate? Any tips and ideas would be very appreciated!
@dreamy1 (3818)
Just call them. The worst they can say is no. I called mine last year. I just told them I want a lower interest rate and that was it. They gave it to me no questions asked. Some people say I have a competitive offer in my hand and if you don't lower it I will switch you can do that too.
@jayman32 (268)
i agree, ring the company & say you want to go else where with a lower rate, if you want to keep me you (the company) will not only much but better that rate.
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try it tomorrow I guess. I'm still a bit nervous about it. But I've got to do something to start getting out of debt!
All I know is that it can be done. What I did was call them and ask them to let me get a deal to pay it off right then and there. I was going on and so were they. When I finished with all the company's in that one day. I had no more credit card debt. I don't know how to tell you to get the rates lower. I was told that if your on time with your payments they will do that for you. So it's well worth the try. Good luck.
I sure wish I had the money to just pay the cards off. But that's not a possibility.