Any Ebay Powersellers here on mylot?

I am curious because I was wondering what are the pros and cons of being a powerseller. I always just assumed that powerseller meant it was some kind of award you get once you hit a certain amount sold. I think I am wrong though, it is something a seller subscribes to be and then they have to meet certain standards, is that correct or am i still misunderstanding? Thanks in advance for any info supplied.
@kellys3ps (3728)
You are correct in assuming that it is an award based on the volume you are selling on ebay. One of the benefits of course is that people are more likely to trust a powerseller because of the amount of positive transactions the seller has had. I am not a powerseller, but one of my friends is. She sells homemade jewelry and beads.
I am just curious because I also make jewelry. I make faceted gemstone jewelry and it seems most powersellers start their stuff at 99 cents in order to sell the large volumes to meet ebays quotas. My question is how can she make a profit that way?
@kellys3ps (3728)
She doesn't start her sales that low - I think the lowest I've ever seen hers go for is about $5. You have to sell at least that high to cover all of your fees and make a small profit. To be an ebay powerseller you don't necessarily have to sell a lot of items, but you have to earn enough in sales dollars.
I think most Powersellers start at 99 cents because the fees are lower or because they sell an item that is almost guaranteed to go higher. For newer sellers and custom items you may want to try higher starting prices or buy it now. I personally use a combination of 99 cent auctions, higher starting auctions and buy it now depending on the item (I list 60 trains per week!) Maybe just sell for yourself and see if you meet the Powerseller quota without forcing it. Other than the discounts, a great feedback score is just as effective.
@kesa456 (10)
I've been a Bronze Powerseller for a year now (lukestrainsandmore). You can qualify on a 3-month or annual basis and is based on the number of items sold or the amount you sell for ($1000 per month). You also must have a 98% feedback score and as of February 20 4.5 in your DSR stars.It is like a membership (free) but you have to "requalify" based on sales every 30 days (you do nothing, Ebay calculates it for you). Before 2/20 the benefits were only higher priority on email support and offers from time to time, but now Powersellers get more protection from fraudulent buyers, free gallery photos on all listings, reduced listing fees, and reduced final value fees if you meet the qualifications. I think it does give some buyers more of a sense of security and I prefer the free membership to the $15 per month for a store. If you sell alot per month on ebay (100 items or $1000 in sales every month)and would regardless of your status it's worth it, but if you create listings just to be a Powerseller you're losing fees and it isn't worth it.
Very good, thanks so much for the info. I did not realize it was a free membership to be a powerseller, definately worth it if like you said you sell large amounts of stuff anyway.
@usyda1 (125)
uyou have to have 98% or more feedback or more.
Thanks
@redfang (969)
I used to be a powerseller on ebay when i had my online shop, i was selling around 1000 items a week though my profit margin was around £0.50p per item on the small items though if some of the larger ones went them the profit would be substantially higher i also sold on 4 different accounts and because i was selling a product which has a fair ammount of competition i was enabeling myself to take 4 chunks of the market by doing so and all 4 accounts had huge feedbacks. being a powerseller is nothing really special really in my view it never really did anything for me. of course now ebay has changed somewhat and has higher fee's less help for sellers and one hell of a problem with scams and fraud which they won't admit to. the way i see it is if you are selling on ebay as a business do so to the best of your ability but when you sell things send out a card with every item which has your business name, email addy and a web site on it, have the web site set up with the items your selling plus a few extras which you are not selling on ebay this will give you the opportunity to pull buyers away from ebay to buy directly from your site which means no ebay fee's. another good thing that can be done is send a freebee with the purcahses, like a chocolate eclair in each parcel or go to hawkins bazar and buy a load of the 25p party fillers and put one in each parcel, this makes you look generous and glad for the customers custom and can increase the likely hood of them coming back to you. it's all about thinking outside the box and being that little bit different, nicely set out auctions, funky looking auctions, i used to make my own auction pages and had many wonderful comments about them which i thoughts was great and worth spending all night designing them if it attracted people to you. hope maybe some of that is some help in ur ebay ventures.
Thanks for the tips, I have considered the free gift idea, trying to figure out what it could be since I sell mostly jewelry and gemstones. Just curious what kind of items did you sell to sell so much of them. Did you make a decent profit, i mean was it worth it. It seems to me that most powersellers have to sell their stuff for 99 cents to start to make the quota of sales needed, with the fees and other out of pocket expenses i dont see how you can make money.
@gemini_rose (16193)
You get powerseller status if you keep your account in good standing, maintain a positive feedback of 98% or more, reach the minimum average monthly sales for 3 months or more, and keep a certain amount of listings active for 3 months or more. The pros of being a powerseller are nothing as far as I can see, I have bronze powerseller status and I have not benefited at all, the cons are that it costs more in fees and everything because you constantly have to meet the amounts, Im probably going to lose mine in the next month because I just cant afford to keep listing and not having the sales to match.
Thanks I guess I probably am not interested in it. It seems they all have to sell their items dirt cheap to meet the quota and the majority of them are the ones with the awful high shipping fees to make up what they lose in price it sells for. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.