The "Straight Talk" or "DOUBLE TALK" Express?

@anniepa (27238)
I know that when it comes to John McCain many conservatives can't stand him and many Democrats and Independents love him; I've never been what you could call a fan or a supporter of McCain, but several years ago I did have a great deal of respect for him and believed him to have a great deal of integrity. Those feelings have been shaken bit by bit in recent years, first of all after he seemed to totally forget how horribly he was trashed by the Bush campaign in 2000 when he suddenly became a huge Bush supporter. For the record, I wasn't upset because he was a forgiving man who doesn't hold a grudge but rather because he was knowingly trying to sell Bush as something he wasn't, having dealt with his treachery personally. I still had some respect for him, especially when it came to his past as a POW and what I believed made him someone who would know we should not torture, having endured it himself. His exchange with Mitt Romney at one of the GOP debates impressed me, I really thought his passion was totally genuine. Today, I lost all my respect for him and I hope any of my fellow Democrats or moderate Republicans and Independents will see him now for what he really is! This isn't a "Straight Talk Express" but a "Double Talk Transport"! Today he voted against the bill which would have clarified once and for all that waterboarding - the very practice McCain so passionately told Mitt Romney was something we do not do because it is torture - is illegal. It's been against the law all along and has been prosecuted as such as far back as the forties but the Bush Administration has, in their own inimitable way, managed to confuse and twist the issue so they could still do it and not face any consequences. Today it was made official AGAIN that waterboarding is illegal, although Bush intends to veto the bill and McCain has no problem with that. Read more here: http://thegate.nationaljournal.com/2008/02/with_some_help_dems_ok_antitor.php Here's some of what's reporter there: McCain's vote against the bill seemed to contradict his public statements opposing torture generally and the practice of waterboarding in particular. McCain, who is trying to appeal to his party's conservative base, told reporters he believes his position is consistent. "We always supported allowing the CIA to use extra measures. I believe that waterboarding is illegal and should be banned," he said. "My position was very clear," he added. "We have said... that we would allow the CIA to use additional techniques that were not in violation of the anti-torture convention, that were not in violation of the Geneva Conventions and were not in violation of the Detainee Treatment Act." McCain said he voted for the Military Commissions Act and Detainee Treatment Act. The CIA has come under criticism recently for destroying videotapes in 2005 showing the interrogation of suspected terrorists. CIA Director Michael Hayden told the Senate Intelligence Committee last week that waterboarding was used on three detainees after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. The administration maintains it no longer uses waterboarding. The intelligence authorization bill would authorize programs and spending for the intelligence community for the current fiscal year. When reminded that President Bush has threatened to veto the bill over the torture ban provision, McCain replied: "That's fine." Apparently McCain was against waterboarding before he was for it! What are your thoughts? Annie
@Adoniah (7515)
My true feelings are: There is no such thing as an honorable politician. There never has been and their never will be. They all have skeletons in their closets. Some just have thicker doors than others, so you don't here the rattle as loud. Eventually, they all show their true colors and you see the light of day. The best you can hope for, is to elect the least horrible of the lot. This year, it is going to be really a tough challenge to figure out just who that is. Shalom
tell me the skeletons in Ron Pauls closet hes the only true American in there but noone sees that
@Taskr36 (13925)
I don't know all the details, but sometimes bills have extra bits and pieces in their that aren't in line with the title of the bill. It's possible that McCain disagreed with the bill because of something on page 13 that isn't mentioned in the media reports. I'm not saying that's the case, just a possibility. I think it's blatantly clear that waterboarding is torture and should be banned. I don't even see why it has to be voted on when everyone knows torture is illegal. Even if a bill did pass specifically banning it, you know the people doing it would continue. They knew it was illegal before it came to light and didn't care then.
@anniepa (27238)
No, he simply voted against it because he says it's already illegal, although he knows the Administration had been somehow getting around that all along. I can't read anyone else's mind but I'd say he's trying to have it both ways. With the new bill it's specifically spelled out so even dimwits like Bush and Co. can't pretend they don't know any better. Annie
@petebaja (516)
• Mexico
He is trying to have it both ways. I know he doesn't agree with these tactics. I know he wants legislation that would prohibit these methods. But he learned his lesson from 2000. If you don't court the conservative vote, you lose! There is no such thing as a Moderate Party, is there? And McCain certainly is no Democrat, right? So, he's got to run as a Republican. And the party of Reagan is run by conservatives and right wing hawks. He's got to court them and win their hearts, lest he be the object of their scorn!
@Taskr36 (13925)
Yeah, it's unfortunate that you really have to sell your soul to your party to get elected. I really wanted Lieberman to get the nomination back in '04, but he failed to kiss the a$$ of his party adequately and couldn't get any support. I guess McCain has decided to do what he has to do to get that nomination. I just hope he's still planning on being moderate if he becomes president.
@jormins (1224)
I totally agree with you on McCain. As an independent I liked him the most of the Republicans to begin the race. Huckabee emerged as a funny, friendly guy who caught my attention until he started getting a little funny catering to the southern voters saying some weird things. But I still thought McCain was a decent guy until about 3-4 weeks ago. Now McCain has somewhat sold himself out to cater to the right. He was booed at CPAC even after the crowd was told to not boo him (that was so funny), and now he's flip flopping on the Bush tax cuts, amnesty, pretty much everything. To me water boarding was one thing he has a perfect excuse not to sell out on as he was tortured himself. He is a total sell out now. (And we're not even getting into his warmongering) PS- Take the words "my friends", "Pork Barrel Spending", "Reagan Revolution" and "foot soldier" out of his vocab and he would be a total mute.
@anniepa (27238)
You're so right! When he gave that speech at CPAC I swear he said "conservative" a thousand times but once the general election campaign starts watch and see how he tries to sucker the center back in to his camp; I don't think it will work, not if people pay attention! This with the torture bill was the last straw! Annie