Do Negative Thoughts Depress You?

United Kingdom
We all get them, but most of the time we shove them to the back of our minds, because to give place to angry or negative thoughts can be depressing. Do negative thoughts depress you? How do you keep them at bay? Do they ever get through so that you think them? Does that depress you? What do you do to cheer up?
Negative thoughts? Do you mean the what if this happens, how will I go on? I don't get depressed but I don't dwell on them either.
You are right not to...
@polachicago (19075)
Nothing can depress me. I learned how not to have negative thoughts long time ago. I manage myself into routine scheduled to have morning get go with running, smiling and delivering the best I can for the day. I help many people on daily basis, so I am too tired to have any problems.
That's a wonderful way to be. I admire you.
@o2bfree (226)
Yes I do believe they can and do. Unfortunately when you get in the grips of depression it is hard not to think negatively. It often takes something major to snap you out of it. But, if you are just going through a brief period of "the blues" positive self talk (whether you believe what you are saying or not) will prevail. Kinda like breaking a habit....21 days and you are all good again. To cheer up?????? I look at my beautiful children and am amazed at how blessed I am. Changing my focus off of me and onto others always helps too. Much Luck to you!~Cheri
Thanks Cheri. I do know what you mean. Often it's the simplest things that cheer one up. For me, it's the beauties of nature, and the simple fact that most people just get on with their lives and do the best they can for their families. The average everyday friendliness of ordinary people going about their business can be a tremendous reassurer. Thanks again...:o)
@stephcjh (32328)
Negative thoughts always depress me. I try to think positive but when I do, bad things happen and it takes me right back to the depression feeling. I just try to keep my head up and continue to work hard to try and be happy.
If I let depressing or negative thoughts take over it is a downer. I do try to do more than just shove them to the background. I try to put a positive thought in its place.
I often have thoughts of events that have happened in the past. I try not to dwell on them because they are events that are long gone. Unfortunately they pop up when I least expect them to. A thought came to mind today to put these thoughts to rest by writing them down and filing them away. I will know they are in a place that if I truly want to confront them, I can pull them out and look at them. Maybe by doing this I can find peace. I have prayed that these hauntings finally are laid to rest. Life is too short to dwell on things that are no longer relevant to the present.