Are night lights really helpful and safe?

My daughter can not go to bed without the hall light outside of her room on. I thought about getting a night light for her room but I'm a bit nervous. I'm afraid that she might try to play with it and she'll get electrocuted or something. Do they make them so that kids can't get hurt by them? And do they really give off enough light to make a difference to the little ones?
@Myrrdin (3601)
I use a corded nightlight, and the plug is behind her desk. My daughter is five now so she knows not to play with it, but I think the corded ones are safer over all. Basically the one I have is of Sleeping beauty in a pink dress, the dress lights up and gives off a fair amount of light, but not enough to use as a regular light.
@shannon76 (1234)
How old is your daughter? My son is almost 2 and we have had a night light in there before. It use to be just a standard nightlight but he did play with it and use to take it out of the socket. so we switched to a dome night light that is corded (it also happens to be a baby monitor as well :). It doesn't put off very much light but he's fine with it and plus, it won't hurt him if he plays with it. I would try going to a childrens store (baby's r us is a good one) and search for different night lights.
@CanadaGal (4304)
There are small battery operated lights that can be attached to walls. Some are plain on the front, others have various decals on them. They tend to be circular, and you press the whole face of it to turn it on and off. They can sit on a table or be mounted on the wall. They can even be used like a flashlight if need be (although they would be a bit bulky and awkward for that lol). I have seen them in dollar stores, walmart, Canadian Tire, and camping stores. I'm sure you could find one easily. They are reasonably inexpensive (especially if you get them and the batteries from the dollar store), so worth a try. There is also glow in the dark stickers and stars and shapes you could put on the walls in her room. That's what I use with my boys. They don't glow unless the lights are out, so it's an excellent incentive to keep the lights out.
Thanks for the awesome idea about the glow in the dark stickers. I never would have thought of that!
@cyfernet (2796)
yes they can be helpful when we have to go get water or something in the middle of the night. i think the bulbs are protected from shocks but still make sure your kids don't touch them. so u gotta make some cover for the bulb so that ur kids don't play with it
@sminut13 (1786)
i do have a night light but after my son was old enough that he began playing with it, i decided to keep it away for basically the same reasons as you. i didn't buy any other lights. he's 5 now and i try to get him to sleep by himself though not successful. he still sleeps with me but i try to get him to sleep first without me there so that he'll get used to sleeping by himself next time in his own room. sometimes, when he's really sleepy he doesn't take much notice that it's dark in the room. of course, the living room lights are on so there is some light. but other times, he wants light so fortunately in my room, we have a toilet too. i just switch that on. he can't play with it and the light at least keeps him calm. if you have a toilet in your room, you can do this too instead of buying a seperate one. hope this helps.
@aretha (2539)
all 3 of my kids have some sort of light. but in my 3 year olds room we have one that has batteries and it hangs to the wall. i have it high enough that they don't pay no mind to it. and they are really cute they come with alot of different things on them. we got ours at walmart by the light bulbs. it gives off enough light so he can see where he is going if he does get up.