Should tipping in fast food places be allowed?

With the need of extra money on the rise. I find that many are having to work longer at fast food restaurants their is not enough over time. You can't make a good enough salary to raise a family. I find that some places have tip buckets. I have also been told they are removed when the manager is on shift. I tip them anytime I see the bucket. if the service as with a smile and friendly. What are your views on this? Thanks very much
@mlhuff12 (800)
When I think of fast food I think McDonalds, Burger King...At the chain fast food restaurants I do not think that it is appropriate. Have never seen them there anyway. But at privatley owned places I think it is ok. Like sandwich shops, or pizza places, or cafes. I know a lot of times at these privately owned places I even see a thing for giving money to help someone to help pay for hospital bills, or for animals. It is also good to see that the company is caring and compassionate as well.
I have worked at mc donalds they should allow tips buckets for those cashiers and runners. They have to mop floors serve customers,clean the rest rooms and remain with a smile to serve customers. I think they should have tip buckets. :)
Why would tipping at McDonald's be different than tipping at a privately owned place? The people are working just as hard at both places.
@mlhuff12 (800)
I didn't know that the people there do all of that work. So I think it would be ok. I now think differently of workers at these places.
@Jemina (5784)
I don't mind giving tips to the servers and waiters at fast food. Wherever they work, I think they need tips especially if they are very tactful and friendly. We really don't know who we are helping when we give tips.
With so many kids having to help out the family. This tips are very much needed. Thanks for the best response.
@Jemina (5784)
Aww, I should be the one for giving me the Best Response mark. Best Regards.
@Jemina (5784)
oopsss, sorry, I should be the one to Thank You...
@ebsharer (5519)
No I don't pay people to do there job. I mean I give tips to waitress' because they don't even make minimun wage normally half. I do however give tips to my hairdresser, nail tech, anything spa related because i know how much they really make out of the 100 bucks an hour you pay. I can't see leaving a tip for some one at McDs.
How is tipping the fast food worker any different? Do you know how little they make per hour in comparison to what the restaurant brings in? Seriously, it is just sad how low fast food workers are paid for the amount of work they do.
@ebsharer (5519)
I'm sorry to be harsh and I don't mean to offend any one in the fast food business. But when did working in fast food become a requirement? If you choose to work in a low paying place then thats what you choose. Plain and simple. I have never worked in fast food or a resturant because I choose to have a better paying job. In my early high school days it was at K-mart and Walgreens. In my later high school years it was in a construction office as a bookkeeper. When I was out of high school and needed a full time job I went to a temporary agency and got a really good paying job with next to no experance. If I seen a tip jar at Mcds or any other fast food resturant where the person behind the counter was making at least minium wage I would leave. They choose to work for minium wage. If they want tips they need to be a waiter / waitress.
Many places don't allow tipping due when the employee receives at least minimum wage. When they depend on their tips for a living, they must report the tips as earned wages. I will leave loose change for a tip if there is a tip bucket. The tips are usually divided up amongst the employees on that shift. Often times they don't get much more than a few dollars. Even so, the tips they receive are appreciated.
Many times they don't have enough to pay for transportation. That tip bucket is very well needed. :)
@jaredlp (418)
where to begin.... how little do you think that fast food employee is makeing. i know where i am they start about a dollar above min wage. with in a year raises bring them to another dollar or dollar and half. this isnt including any kind of promotion, which if person is that good will happen sooner then later. As far as they do so much, its in their job description. if they dont agree to it and pay they recieve then i know where to find the door. i said this in another post but putting it here also. Im a great chef working at dennys, should dennys have to pay me my worth, or where i choose to work. also this brought to mind a discussion me and a friend had couple years ago. what a sad state of affiars we are in that we much reward someone just for doing their job at a satisfactory level. Gone are the days that people strive to advance jobs through hard work, now everything must be given not earned. btw when i wasnt happy with how much mcd's paid me(i worked there for quite a while in my younger days) i took myself down to walmart and got a job there instead, when felt i deserved more i went to jcpennys and worked on commission. i never worked a job where i felt i deserved a tip. i was paid through employeer to do a task and i did it. if that employeer didnt pay me that was between me and them not person i was giveing service too. guess u can tell im against tiping in the fast food world right
Tipping is a way of showing appreciation for services received, it works both ways, the person who gets the tip will render better service because of this incentive. Keep tipping!
@winterose (39932)
you are going to pay it one way or the other, if tipping is not allowed the waiters and waitresses will have to be paid a decent wage and the will mean the cost of your food will be higher, to offset the increase in salary
@blueunicorn (2410)
I definitely think tipping should be allowed at fast food places. The workers there are often really hard-working and should be rewarded for that. I don't see how a fast food worker differs from one working in a sit-down restaurant. What I do now, since they don't have tip buckets is encourage good customer service by calling the manager and giving my praises. Hopefully that gets back to the employee. Many people look down on service oriented jobs, but we as customers have no problem taking advantage of those services offered. It seems strange to me.
I truly agree with you. Where would we get out food if they all quit? Thanks
@ebsharer (5519)
The differance between a sit down resturant with a waiter / waitress and a fast food resturant is the pay. At a fast food resturant they are making at LEAST minium wage a waiter / waitress only makes HALF of that and there tips are there actual pay. (please see my other comments)
@ebsharer (5519)
And if your going to tip the guy behind the counter and the fast food resturant where do is stop? What about your cashier that bagged your groceries just right? What about the guy at the DMV that was extra nice that day?
@owlwings (37716)
• Cambridge, England
I was interested (and slightly appalled) to find that the 15% tip in the US is the norm (or so I was firmly told by my friend). I don't have too much of a problem with restaurants where there is waiter service but it felt very strange to go into a pub or bar and to be expected to give a tip. Fast food restaurants appeared to be excluded from tipping, however, even when the food was brought to the table (Jack's, I think). I don't know what the minimum wage is ($8 an hour in CA, I believe) and nor did I enquire (of course) what rate the staff were on. I know that the pay is not exactly great in any fast food joint but here in the UK nobody would THINK of tipping in a fast food place or a pub. It is also entirely optional in most restaurants (some do and some don't) and the accepted level is 10%. I don't think that us English are mean but we do expect everyone to be paid a fair wage, which means rather more than the minimum (which is £5.83 for over 18s - around $11US at the current rate). It seems odd to me that the customer should be expected to pay staff over and above the cost of the food and service when that is surely the employer's job! The other thing that I found odd about the US is that prices are generally quoted/marked excluding sales tax (and it doesn't usually say what it taxable and what is not). I often ended up paying more than I expected when the bill came - thus making the idea of a 15% tip ON TOP feel like an imposition. Here the sales tax (VAT usually at 17.5%) is normally included in the price. It is only in catalogues and websites which are aimed at businesses where VAT is noted as an extra (because VAT registered businesses are able to claim it back).
What an interesting and different point of view, me being from the U.S. and all. You are right, it is the customer paying the wages of the wait staff at a restaurant that is expecting the customer to give a tip. I never thought about it that way! You are right, the restaurant should be paying those wages, and tips should be a bonus for good service. I think it is just commonly accepted now, that a tip should be included as part of your meal even if service was terrible. I don't know about anyone else, but I have been told that the average expected tip is now 20%.
@owlwings (37716)
• Cambridge, England
I can see that, by sticking up for my British attitude (which I, of course, feel is right and logical) in the States, I am going to rub some people up the wrong way. What do you suggest I do? Carry around a little pack of business cards neatly printed with a Union Jack on one side and on the other a little statement (in English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese or Filipino as appropriate) such as: "I am British. I believe that your employer should be paying you a decent wage and should not expect his customers to subsidise his business by making the worthwhile job you do here depend on charity. I do not expect to give a tip unless I feel that the service justifies a gratuity of, perhaps up to 10% of my bill. If you find that this card accompanies a tip, please understand that it represents my gratitude for exceptional service. If, on the other hand, you find this card and nothing else, please do not feel hurt. Your service has very likely been at least to the standard which one might expect for the money you are paid. If you wish to make a complaint, please show this to your employer." Actually, I was very impressed with the service and politeness I received in restaurants, bars, stores and, in general, from anyone I encountered in the US, including the police. I suspect that many Americans would think the British style of service lacks a good deal in politeness. There are notable exceptions, of course and you shouldn't think that the British are generally inhospitable!
@LODweed (29)
Well, I would have to say that I think that it should be all right to put a tip jar out in fast food restaurants. I also understand, though, why the corporate heads of those restaurant chains wouldn't want there to be tips involved. The more that people spend, I think, the less they're going to value fast food over ordinary food. Therefore, I would say that as long as it goes with the corporate policy, it's completely acceptable.
The more that people spend, I think, the less they're going to value fast food over ordinary food Outside of the tip there is not a whole lot of difference in price at the fast food places unless you order off the value menu anymore. I think there will ALWAYS be a place for fast food, at least in America. People just don't take the time to sit down and enjoy a meal.
blue your right about this. I find even I don't have time to cook most days. I buy food from the Jamaican spot or we make quick meals. I can't wait to get back to learning to cook.
@youdontsay (3503)
Since tips are for good service I see no reason not to tip. However, many places that have tip jars the money does not go to all of the employees. And if one person gives me good service, why should they have to split it with everyone else? Even those who do not give good service get rewarded.
The ones that do give good service will encourage the others to continue. They are smart enough to know that bad service will always stand out to people above good service. Peer pressure does a lot to change attitudes. When you tip at a restaurant your server isn't the only one getting that tip, either. In most places he/she has to share with the expeditors, the host/hostesses, and the people that bus the table. Do you think about the service that the hostess gave you when you plan to tip the waiter? Probably not, if you are like me, but the reality is that they are getting a portion of that tip.
Sometimes that's true, but not always. My granddaughter was a waitress for a while and she kept all her tips. It was figured in as part of her wages. The cooks got paid more because they didn't get tips.
@saundyl (9698)
I worked in Mcdonalds around where i live. I discouraged people from leaving tips as The servers werent allowed to accept tips...they had to go into the till and then if your till was over the owners kept the money and you got into trouble for having an "out" till. So Knowing this I dont tip at ANY mcdonalds nor do i tip at "fast food" places like kfc, wendys, burger king, a&w as i'm pretty sure they dont get to keep tips.
@chrislotz (8207)
I think tipping should be allowed in any type of restaurant. Just because it is allowed doesn't mean you have to give them a tip. I only give a tip to a server if they deserve to get a tip. By that I mean if they are polite and give me good service. My husband and I went to a smorg type of chinesse restaurant on Friday night and when we got there we were told to just find a table anywhere and sit down. So we did and the waitress came over and filled out glasses with water and then we never saw her again till I had to call her over and ask for the bill when we were finished eating. So she brought us the bill and we put our money ont the tray and she asked us if we wanted our change. I said yes and my husband said to me as she was walking away that I should have said no, that she should keep the change as a tip. I said why would I tip her when we only saw her once for about 10 seconds while she poured our water, and then once when she brought us our bill. She didn't give us any service never mind any good service, so I didn't tip her. But if she would have asked us if we wanted something else to drink besides water, or asked us once in a while if everything is good or if we needed anything else, or brought us our bill before I had to hunt her down, or something, I would have given her a tip, but she didn't earn a tip in my mind. And by the way, I am usually a very generous tipper.
@bagumbayan (2707)
It should not be allowed. The people eating in these kind of eatery are mostly students and low salaried workers. They have limited money to spend and most of their earnings are budgeted. A big no is my answer.
@Modestah (11195)
I've never seen tip buckets. Though when I worked at a dunkin donuts as a teen - there was a sign up no tipping the servers - but we did receive tips, and put it in a jar behind the counter - at the end of the shift however, the owner split our tips with us!!! he partook in our tips! I thought that was raunchy.
@lkbooi (16102)
I always offer them tips if they really provide us good service and their attitude are amiable with friendly smile all the time. Anyhow to offer them a small token could help them a bit as they are of low income group and most of them are student who need part time income. By giving tips we could encourage them to work in the fast food restaurant so as to experience more about the social life which will be beneficial to them in their future life
@carmelanirel (21108)
I have never seen a bucket for tips in a fast food place, only a bucket for donating for the new humane society animal shelter and have donated to that, but if there was a place for tips for whoever waited on me, I think it should go to that person. I am afraid putting it all in one bucket, and dividing it among all the workers isn't right, because one could have been very polite while another was rude.. Tips are earned for service and politeness, not just because you work there..
Is it not allowed in the first place? Imagine if you tipped someone at a fast food place. I really doubt the restaurant would put you on the blacklist and bar you from further entries just because you gave its staff some money for presumably good service. :P But the thing here is that usually there is no service at fast food places. The only service you encounter is at the counter where you order your food, and at your table when you leave when they clear your trash (which they should really do AFTER you have left but when you are leaving). So it is only the counter and for that seconds or a min or 2, you want to tip someone? Ok, either you (general "you") are very generous or very rich - more likely both. Service with a friendly smile is not what good service is totally and only about - service with a friendly smile is the minimum, the basis for good service. Smile at me and I should tip? Great, I will go stand at the busiest junction and smile there at everyone. That will make me the richest man on earth. :PP If you are looking with the viewpoint of the staff, I do understand that money is bad. Working longer hours just to get more decent money really sucks. The one course of action is for you to really provide good service so that you will be noted and promoted, etc. And yes, if a nice customer likes you enough to tip, count it your good day but I wouldn't think it would be common.
@aseretdd (13712)
I think tipping should also be allowed in fast food places but tips should not be the same rate as to restaurants... fast foods are most likely self service so the crew or workers don't really give that much effort in making customers feel at home... when one gets the food and pays for it... that is the end of it... It is nice that there are people like you generous enough to reward the crew of a fast food...
@zeloguy (4915)
I don't put money in a bucket... if I see someone that is doing a good job I will hand them a buck or two.... Other than that no. There will be a discussion coming similar to this so watch for it! Thanks Zelo