Have you searched for your discussion subject before starting

@whittby (3073)
and after searching maybe one or two tries, decided to go ahead with your discussion? The point here is I've done my due diligence, been satisfied that there isn't a current discussion on a similar point, and I go ahead and start. Then after my discussion is on, I see at the bottom under "similar discussions", there are a bunch of similar ones going on. I would have been happy to join in these if I could have found them! Do you search before you start your discussion or do you just go ahead? Do you find other discussions similar to yours?
@carolbee (16241)
I don't search before I start a subject. I simply start it and hope someone will listen to me..lol I generally don't get many responses so I do more responding to discussions than actually starting them.
@whittby (3073)
I respond more than anything too. Nothing gets to me like a zero response discussion lol. Hello, anyone out there!
@carolbee (16241)
When I get zero responses, it hurts my ego..lol
@byfaithonly (10716)
LOL - I've had some like that - send me a private message with any discussion you don't have any responses to and I'll try to help you out :)
@raijin (10373)
I just put it this way, since I don't post as much topics of my own here. If ever I have a subject that interests me, I make sure that it is not yet posted here. I feel comfortable with it, since I'm sure that I haven't came across from any of it after going through all the discussions posted that day. Also, I post topics on a specific interest. Most of them are either from what I know and it has something to do from my place too, to avoid conflicts of interest on other members that came from different parts of the world. That way, it's easier for me to call that discussion as my very OWN..
@whittby (3073)
I checked some of your discussions and I see what you mean. You'll see me popping in on a couple.
@kiran1978 (4137)
I just start my discussions. I figure it would be almost impossible to post a new discussion that someone has not touched on before. I do not think I have wrote many discussions that someone has never done before. However when I write my discussions I like to add alot of detail, so hopefully my information is different to other people's discussions. After I have wrote my discussion if I see a similar discussion posted I usually reply to their discussion.
@whittby (3073)
I think adding some detail is important when starting a discussion. It clarifies and also give us something to sink our teeth into when responding. I have also answered similar discussion when they pop up..
@lilybug (21148)
I do sometimes, but not all the time. If I find a discussion similar, but it is several months old I will post it anyway. If it is a recent one I will not.
@whittby (3073)
Same here. I'm beginning to tire of doing all the searches though.
I do Whittby, but I do not worry to much about it, usually my discussions are of an interest and have a different spin on it then other peoples and I want to know of my friends not discussions from over a year ago that I know no one in. Remember they are similar discussions as long as you are not taking another persons post as your own, I would not worry about it.
@whittby (3073)
I worry a little - have to tame the obsessive compulsive beast... And you have a point, I like to hear what the folks I know on here have to say.
@aseretdd (13709)
I only search for a discussion subject if i think that it is something commone...like about a certain T.V. series... or food, beverage... when i was still new in mylot... one of my discussion was deleted because there were already like 100 discussions similar to it... so i do not want to make the same mistake ever again...
@whittby (3073)
I did a search on a tv series today and was sure there had to be a ton of discussion. Found one or two with just a few responses. That just seemed wrong. I can see myself starting that one and finding 100 more. And I didn't realize they would delete for that...
Nope. I don't research first. If I can't find anything among my interests, I just start it in "General." After posting, I see similar discussions, but not similar enough to make mine redundant.
@whittby (3073)
I found the exact discussion not too long ago, started right about the same time as mine. I chose to think of that one as redundant lol.
@ElicBxn (60884)
I've tried it a time or two, but I never find anything so I quit & just start my own.
@alamode (3073)
I always search... thats why I don't post often! It seems that every subject under the sun has been dealt with here!
@whittby (3073)
You know, I might quit doing so much searching and go for it. I'm not the most original thinker, but I might give a slightly different slant on it. And a question that reaches those of us new to myLot is going to get answered.
@alamode (3073)
True... sometimes they are there, but haven't seen daylight for months... I should keep thinking this way and get some posts going... all I do is answer, which is okay for a know-it-all, but I'd like to stir a bit of thought once in a while!
@alamode (3073)
Thank you!
@anawar (2406)
whittby_ Thanks for asking this question, even if it started three months ago. I see people are still responding. I was just worrying about the same thing as you. You finish setting up your discussion, only to find five or six listed underneath similar to yours. After reading everyone's comments in here, I can stop worrying. Everyone had some good pointers. I'm going to relax and enjoy my time here without worry. Take care and I'll see you around somewhere soon.
@whittby (3073)
I have to add I asked this when I was fairly new here. I was fairly hesitant to start discussions at first, but discussions like this helped me. I am always impressed by the help you can receive here.
@anawar (2406)
It is really cool on this website once you know your way around. I'm starting to figure out you just have to jump in and have fun. Then see if anyone else likes the same things. It's kind of relaxing and exciting. I've never talked to this many people at one time in my whole life!
@chrislotz (8203)
Oh my, no I have never searched out a topic before posting my own discussion. It really doesn't matter if the topic already has a discussion started. You can still post yours as there is no rule here, like in some other forums, that you can't post a topic that someone else has already posted. So why waste your time search for it? Also you get paid more for starting a discussion than you do for responding, so why would you cut back your own earnings? Just go ahead and post your own discussion whether there are 100 discussions already about that topic.
@whittby (3073)
I agree and I quit searching since the discussions that are the same don't come up most of the time anyway - something to do with the tag? Anyway, I've jumped in.
@mouse27 (1155)
i don't search before starting a discussion there could be several discussions with the same topic or key words but none of them are the same and you can usually get a different type of answer from the same person that responded to one of the other simular discussions, in my opinion these discussions are like finger prints no two are the same
@whittby (3073)
I agree that no two discussions are alike. We all have our groups of "discussioners" and that alone makes each topic a little different. Like the fingerprint analogy. whit
@byfaithonly (10716)
Oh yes, I always search first then post but have had the same thing happen to me I don't know if it's a glitch in the system or what but it's kinda annoying as I've spent the time searching for what it seems to me no reason.
@whittby (3073)
I mentioned above that I wonder if when we search we have to have pretty much the exact wording of the tags?
@suspenseful (40316)
I usually got to the myLot digest, and then I go to top discussion, friend's discussions, and hot topics. If I can find nothing there, I will go to the edit interests, that is if there is nothing to go to on those little pictures, and find something I am interested in, or I will go on to the profiles and answer some of the posts they have gotten answered. If I have something to post, I search for the interest and post it under there, but if I cannot find anything, I will search for the interest, but find that does not work as well.
@whittby (3073)
You go through a lot of the same paths I go through to discussions. I start with my emails first, then to the digest and so on. Searching for topics to respond takes way too much time in my opinion.
@Daniel_7 (91)
• Czech Republic
I've also tried several times to search for discussions before a create my own ones. But I always find very similar discussions that I couldn't find before. Just like you. I think that it's simply because there are so many discussions by so many people that almost everything has already been discussed. But few people post there responses to older discussions. So now I usually do not search for similar discussions and I just go ahead and create one. This way people can easily find a new discussions and say what they think. So... no, I don't usually search for similar discussions. And the discussions that are similar to the one I create are never the same like mine. Well, it happened to me, but only once.
@whittby (3073)
I think there probably are a lot of topics that have been done and done again. I don't think we generally comment on the older ones anyway.
@supeemom (122)
I didn't search the very first time I started a new discussion and ended up posting a much-repeated topic. So I ALWAYS search before I start a new topic. It helps me gauge the popularity of the topic and see what types of repsonses I might get. And if there are already several discussion on the same thing I might rather just respond to a discussion in progress.
@whittby (3073)
Well, if there were several discussions months old that generated a lot of responses, your dicussion might generate the same amount considering all the new memebers?
@terri0824 (4991)
I generally have searched for discussions, and came up with nothing or older one's before starting a discussion. Maybe it's the tag words that brings them up after starting a discussion, I've noticed the same before.
@whittby (3073)
I know, it's just irritating though. Must be the tag words that must match the original search and maybe whole text afterwards? Don't know.
@Betty34 (267)
Hi whittby, I just go ahead and start the discussion, only because I didn't know you COULD search for them! :) I actually think I would anyway, because I don't start that many discussions as it is. I comment more. And I don't think anyone would post the exact same discussion anyway... B
@whittby (3073)
I don't start many discussions either. I spend most of my time commenting too.
@subha12 (18453)
i used to dio that before. after taht i try to start only those discussions taht i think i have not seen here before. i also do not start much discussions here. i only start when i really want to ask something or share something here.
@whittby (3073)
Sometimes there just isn't anything I want to start a discussion on, not that all my discussions require heavy thinking lol. whit
@Lakota12 (42684)
I just plow in and put in my post and really have never looked to see if something similar. I just hope they arent the same thing word for word!