Goldfish can retain memories for 6 days (not 3 seconds)!

Goldfish - Goldfish can retain memories for 6 days
@jennybianca (12918)
Australia
A little piece of interesting trivia. It has been proven by a 15 year old student in Adelaide (my home city), that goldfish can retain memories for 6 days, not three seconds as previously thought. The student conducted scientifically valid experiments, & the results & article of which can be viewed here:http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23231661-2682,00.html
@Fishmomma (11617)
I have known this for quite awhile and thanks for informing others. My fish do a lot of tricks and are quite smart. I'm always thrilled when good news comes out about fish because some people have always thought they aren't great pets.
@jennybianca (12918)
I have two goldfish, down from 5 . They are dieing. What sort of tricks can your goldfish do?
@Fishmomma (11617)
Mine go through hoops just like dolphins. They eat from my hand and enjoy playing king of the mountain. I set the television up outside so they are now watching it. One of my recent clients said he is going to set up a television outside, so he can enjoy the sunshine and watch the shows with animals in the water. He recently retired, so spends a lot of time with his fish, so is glad to train the fish. I have this ornament that they play tag through it. Its funny to watch these two large females, who seem to get bored easily, so are always looking for new entertainment. One day the neighbors cat went to close to their pond and the next thing I see the cat needs to be rescued. They tried to kill the cat. I heard this loud cry from the cat and went running thinking the goldfish were in danger. I haven't seen the cat and the neighbor wanted to know how his cat ended up wet. I explained and my neighbor is still speaking to me.
@jennybianca (12918)
Wow! In honestly had not heard of goldfish doing tricks. It makes sense now, when my mother-in-law says that her goldfish understand what she is saying. I guess that read, they have worked out her movements have learnt to respond. Amazing really. I didn't realise that goldfish liked watching TV. It must be the movements that they like. The news regarding what this student discovered was on TV tonight. But how can the goldfish try to kill a cat? I understand that the cat may not have been able to swim, but....
@sedel1027 (17868)
Thats interesting. The Myth Busters did an episode on that topic in 2004 and proved the same thing: http://televizzle.org/2006/11/09/sinking_titanic_goldfish_memory_trombone_explosion.php
@jennybianca (12918)
So it did. An interesting link. I never realised that goldfish had much of a memory at all.
@coffeeshot (3786)
That's really cool Jenny. Honestly, you'd think that they would have discovered this a long time ago, it's not a hard thing to try to work out. My siamese fighter fish comes out of his ship that he sleeps in every time I stand next to the tank, but he doesn't come right out, just pokes half his body out and waits to see if i have food. When I do shake the food container above the water he comes racing out and follows it around the tank till i drop some in! He's like a dog haha
@jennybianca (12918)
Wow! In honestly had not heard of goldfish doing tricks. It makes sense now, when my mother-in-law says that her goldfish understand what she is saying. I guess that read, they have worked out her movements have learnt to respond. Amazing really. I didn't realise that goldfish liked watching TV. It must be the movements that they like. The news regarding what this student discovered was on TV tonight. But how can the goldfish try to kill a ca? I understand that the cat may not have been able to swim, but....
@jennybianca (12918)
I am sorry that my reoply to the previous response was posted to you as well as the othe respondent. I am fascinated by Siamese fighhting fish, & have thought about getting one. Seeing as I am not having much luck with my goldfish at the moment, & I thought I had better give the siamese a miss for now.
@KarenO52 (2951)
I've had friends who had pet fish that told me all sorts of things that their fish do. I've also noticed whenever I look at fish in a tank, they always seem curious, coming up to the glass to look out, and if I sit near the tank, they'll sometimes hang around where I am. I'm not surprised that the fish have more memory capabilities than what was thought.
@jennybianca (12918)
My Mother-n-law recently told me that she firmly believes that her one goldfish can understand what she is saying to it!
• Marion, Kansas
I always knew that goldfish were capable of learning, or perhaps it was conditioning. They know when their people show up beside the tank, and they associate people with food. i have not looked at your link yet. It would not have been your daughter who did the experiments would it? I know she has a keen interest in animals.
@jennybianca (12918)
No, it wasn't my daughter, although I can see her being interested in this sort of news. I didn't know Goldfish had memories at all, despite what my mother-in-law says.(her goldfish understands her).
@faith210 (11233)
Hi jeenybianca! Wow, that is amazing and interesting! I do believe somehow that there are some "thought process" in fishes but it was just an assumption on my part and I really don't know the extent of such thought process in goldfishes. It is a good thing that a young student will proved such. Just my thoughts. Take care and have a nice day! :)
@jennybianca (12918)
I think many people didn't realise that goldfish were so clever. If ypou look at my other responses, you will read some interesting facts.