Asking If Anyone Knows

When I was born I entered into a family that were Catholic, however didn't attend regularily. There was no means of getting there. I was however baptised and as a young girl I made my first communion and did everything there was to do. I was young then and of course I have forgotten everything. Here's my question. On my rosary the beads are spaced 10 beads a space one bead then 10 again all the way around and there are 5 hanging down. Can anyone tell me what the beads mean? Thank You
@angeljenn (894)
• Zaragoza, Spain
hello there to U...i am not Catholic, i am a Born Again Christian, my church's name Church of GOD...i would admit that i was born Catholic, but when i became 12 yrs.old, my family did change their minds and became Born Again Christians...before when i was still a kid, i used to be like you praying having a rosary in my hand without knowing what those beads mean...i got my first communion when i was 9 yrs.old... But things have changed since me and my family became Born Again Christians...i have known the truth...allow me to say something about what we believe...according in Deuteronomy 5:5:7-9 "Thou shalt have none other gods before me. Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy GOD am a jealous GOD, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me, and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments." According in Psalms 115:3-8 "But our GOD is in heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased. Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not: They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not: They have hands, but they handle not: feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat. They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them." I am so sorry if i have tell something here in your discussion, about what i have known and what i've learned in our Church which is really stated in the BIBLE...please forgive me Grandmaof2 if i have offended you or anybody who's in your church...i do respect anybody's beliefs, religions, views, opinions, etc...it's just that i just want to share what our Church do believe...i am really sorry, i hope it's ok to you and you're not mad at me or anything... This is what we believe, according in John 4:24 "GOD is a Spirit: and they that worship HIM must worship HIM in spirit and in truth." but i really do respect your beliefs, and i have nothing really against anyone, i just want to share something here in your discussion...it's a good thing to read the BIBLE, according in John 5:39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." Have a blessed day ahead of U...keep on believing what is really in your heart, putting GOD in the center of your life...may GOD BLESS U & UR family always!!!
That's the scripture I was stating and so thank you for confirming what I said...
• Zaragoza, Spain
you're very welcome...i just want to share what's really stated in the BIBLE and what i've learned from my Church...keep on searching the scripture...the truth will set us free...have a blessed day to U...may GOD BLESS U & UR family always!!!
@Modestah (11192)
jenn this means to not have any*thing* as a god... to not adore anything or one that is not God. for He alone is adorable, He alone is worthy of adoration. The angels God commanded to be cast were indeed of heavenly things - God does not contradict Himself... the people were not adoring the statues - nor do faithful Catholics adore the statues they have, and certainly do not adore the beads. The beads are simply a tool. Veritas vos liberabit is a very good quote indeed (the truth shall set you free)
@Modestah (11192)
my family is Catholic and we pray the Rosary every day. Cross yourelf "In the name of th eFather and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, amen" and then kiss the foot of the crucifix. pray silently your intentions of this rosary.... then in at least a whisper if not outloud pray the Creed on the first bead pray an "Our Father" Pater then come the 3 beads in a row - on each of these is prayed an Ave "Hail Mary" the first one for an increase in Faith the second one state is for an increase in Hope The third one ask for an increase in Charity on the last bead hanging from the center icon - pray the Doxology ("Glory be...") now you announce the first mystery being that it is lent you will want to meditate on only the sorrowful mysteries pray the Our Father then while meditating on the mystery just announced pray a hail mary for each of the 10 beads - end with the glory be and the fatima prayer announce the next mystery and do the same thing the same Christ, Our Lord - amen" you are back to the three beads grouped together - pray Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us - on each one... my family ends with a litany of Saints whom we ask to pray for us - if you need any assistance as to the prayers or anything at all - please do not hesitate to message me. Catholicism is my life. the sorrowful mysteries are 1. Agony in the garden 2. Scourging at the pillar 3. crowning with thorns 4. burden of the cross 5. crucifixion
@Modestah (11192)
the way is every single day - but the sorrowful mysteries are (other than during lent) meditated on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Thank You Modestah You have really contributed a lot to me in this post and I appreciate it hon. Thank You.
@Modestah (11192)
you are most welcome, Grandma of 2, and thank you for allowing me to share and also for the rating! JMJ
@drannhh (15226)
I am not Catholic, but I used to teach in a Catholic school. I think this link may help: http://www.catholic.org/clife/prayers/rosary.php
very nice of you I have printed this info out. Thanks a bunch.
@Tetchie (2933)
Hi Grandmaof2. I know that Rosary beads are intended to keep count of prayers, they are similar to prayer beads used in other spiritual traditions, like Buddhism and Hinduism. I was given a beautiful pearl set by my Grandmother, though I don't use them as I am no longer a practicing Catholic. As per wilkapedia: "Roman Catholics and Anglicans use the Rosary as prayer beads. The Rosary (its name comes from the Latin "rosarium," meaning "rose garden"), is an important and traditional devotion of the Roman Catholic Church, combining prayer and meditation in sequences (called "decades") of an Our Father, ten Hail Marys, and a Glory Be to the Father, as well as a number of other prayers (such as the Apostle's Creed and the Hail Holy Queen) at the beginning and end. Traditionally a complete Rosary involved the completion of fifteen decades, but John Paul II added an additional five."
@Modestah (11192)
ty tetchie may I just add to that that as the prayers are uttered the mysteries announced are meditated on. it is the life of Our Lord and Lady.
@sid556 (31005)
I should know but I don't. I am also catholic. My mom who just passed 2 weeks ago was quite upset with me for not knowing the rosary as I should. My aunt went on line and found a site that explained it well and taught my mother how to use it.
I am so sorry to hear of your Moms passing. It is kind of sad we don't know these things I guess but we're still good stuff!!!Thank You so much for your response. I have added a photo of my rosary under my photos because for some reason it didn't allow me to with my post. Take Care.
@raydene (9875)
Hi Doll, I also grew up Catholic on Da's side and Baptist on Ma's and did everything in both churches until I was 12 and I then was allowed a choise..I am now Bahai.. Check the link to answer your question http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosary oxoxxoxoxoxo
They mean nothing, they are just beads and nothing more. The bible, which is God's word, speaks about idol worship and how these things don't have eyes to see, ears to hear or a mouth to speak. Thus showing that they are nothing but what they are, which are inanimate objects. We don't need objects to worship God, we can just prayer to him, using Jesus as a moderator and he hears us....
@Modestah (11192)
you really have no clue as to the Rosary and how it is used. the holy monks were of a custom of reciting the psalms by memory - they would use beads to keep track of their place - people who wanted to imitate this pious practice but did not have the psalms committed to memory would recite paters and aves on the beads. the rosary was given to Saint Dominic by our Lady in its present form - the people were already accustomed to praying using beads to keep track. there is no idol in a bead, sheesh.... if you make that statement you must also believe your bible to be an idol. the fact that the beads are blessed they have become a sacramental - and that means something.
Um, yes I do. More so than you in fact. Any inanimate object that people worship or pray to, to some degree, is considered an idol to worship. I don't pray to my bible, I only read it and put it aside afterward to pray to God and wosrhip him. Like I said, the bible itself, which is God'd words or warning and hope to us all, speaks of these inanimate objects people use to worship him and how they are nothing more than wood, stone and exc...They do nothing for us and mean nothing to us in the end. I stated my opinion, which this site is all about and now I'm done. Think what you want and do what you want. I'm done!
@Modestah (11192)
--------- trouble is, you stated your opinion as a fact, as well you claimed to know MORE about the Rosary than someone who is devoted to it (as a fact) and yet that again remains an opinion and not a fact. and the opinion is skewed. you have judged all Rosary prayers as idol worshipers - yet do not know what is in the mind or heart of the one praying as they meditate on the BIBLICAL mysteries. I have NEVER ever heard of anyone praying TO a Rosary. what an odd thing for someone to suggest. You might be culpable for spreading such rash judgement, detraction and slander - you might want to think about that.