Why do we say "jump up and down"

United Kingdom
If you are "jumping up and down" you are only actually jumping up, not down because you just fall down. But the actual phrase "jump up and down" infers that you are both jumping up and then jumping down.
@dorypanda (1584)
Well, if I'm jumping, it's probably that I'm jumping on my bed, because it's very boingy and therefore I jump up on my bed then down off it. Therefore jumping up and down. :) I think this term jumping up and down has been made because obviously people living in Britain or anywhere this side of the world jump up and people living in Australia and stuff will be jumping down. :D
@nannacroc (4049)
That makes sense, I think.
@dorypanda (1584)
Thank you for giving me best answer, yes, of course it makes sense nannacrocodiles. :)
@vhansen (2035)
You know there are alot of old sayings that really don't make sense.Like 'mad enough to chew nails'.Just how mad is that? I don't know but heard my Grandma say it a bunch of times.;-)
I don't know why it's taken me so long to see what you said here. Mad enough to chew nails! I haven't heard of that one before. You'd have to be pretty mad to chew nails. Well, depends what kind of nails. Finger nails? Toe nails? Rusty nails?
I'm not sure why we say it that way but you are right it really doesn't make sense. lol