why some pay-for-review sites requires social security# for US citizens?

@NCgirl (488)
I just signed up for pay-for-review sites lately, but I backed out with some of them because they require social security number, why is that? what's that for? Don't we have to safekeep our SSN and never give it away? just confused here..
Safekeeping our soc number is important. However, if the site is a illegitimate site that you can make 600 dollars or more in a year and they are US based they need your soc number to turn in tax information. It is against the law for a US based business to pay you more then that without informing the IRS how much you have made. So, if you are worried about the site, search it, but chances are they are just being legal.
@NCgirl (488)
Thanks aiden, Im just being cautious here, that's why I asked. I have heard of identity theft and the campaign the government is doing about it, but you can never tell if the site is really safe or legit. You know scammers are everywhere.. Thanks for the reply
@gtargirl (5385)
Yes, that is confusing sometimes. However, I believe it's for tax purposes. They must believe you're going to make a nice chunk of change with them. Your employer asks for the same thing, right? Just be careful and research every company you sign up with.
@NCgirl (488)
Thanks gtargirl..im still contemplating on signing up for some i have on my lists..oh well