stretching hamburger

@deebomb (15348)
I decided to make a meatloaf for supper last night. I decided to try something new. i only had one lb. of hamburger so i took some walnut and ground them up along with some broccoli, grated cheese. i also had some grape nut cereal that needed to be used before it went stale. I then added some onion. the the eggs to bind it all together. I thought it turned out pretty good. My grandson found the nuts because I didn't grind them up real good. He didn't notice the broccoli and that was good. I think i will try this again but make sure the nut are much finer and add catchup. When I do hamburger helpers i have found that I can get away with using only 1/2 lb of hamburger. It sire helps the budget.
@sherrir101 (3671)
I use ground turkey (from Aldi's) in place of hamburger. For meatloaf, I use 1/2 hamburger and half gound turkey. I would rather pay the 99 cents verses how ever much hamburger goes for these days. I stretch all of it by adding zuchinni and carrots shredded up in most of everything. They are the ones that doesn't mess with the flavors of the meat that much when added.
@deebomb (15348)
I love shopping at Aldies and have also used ground turkey for meatloaf. I will have to try the zucchini and carrots next time.
Amazing, Sherri! Always making newer better ways! Yay!
@Sissygrl (10999)
This discussion i find funny. Not your food. Just my experience with my hubby. He wants to stay on a budget for food, but doesn't like to stretch things thin. he's a flip flopper on the subject. Also, I know this might sound crazy, but i SUCK at making meatloaf!! haha The last time i tried, i added sgetti sauce to it thinking it would be good. Pf. no.. and the meat shrunk up in the pan so much!! does yours shrink up ? It was lean, so it shouldnt have been tooo fatty!! How do you prevent that or do you ?
when i make hamburgers or something like that i always add grated potato, carrots and onions. I also add bread soaked in milk sometimes, and then my garlic and hearbs and spices etc. I know it sounds really weird but it is really yummy and it is a recipe that has been in our family for generations, lol it was like a secret recipe because everybody loves them. I think your meatloarf sounds yum too.
@deebomb (15348)
Grated potato for meat loaf, now that is a nice idea. I'll have to try it next time. Don't you just love meat loafs. You can do what ever you want with them.
@lilybug (21183)
I would have never thought to use cereal in my meatloaf. I usually use oatmeal. A few times I used my daughters baby cereal in the meatloaf. It turned out pretty good. I never use the amount of ground beef that a recipe calls for. You can get away with so much less and use the rest for another meal.
@deebomb (15348)
I never follow recipes when it comes to thinks like meatloaf or salads. I just use them for the ideas. Thats what makes a recipe unique and your own.
@whittby (3073)
Ooh, I like the idea of adding those bits of cereal to the meatloaf. I don't think the Honey Bunches of Oats would go in without a little mushing, but there's always something in the cupboard that's been sitting for awhile! I like the idea of broccoli which is interesting - broccoli has a stronger taste and I'm surprised it didn't stand out. Meatloaf isn't all that economical if you don't add the fillers and I went a little too far on the oatmeal last time - not my best one for sure. Thanks for all the hints. whit
@deebomb (15348)
I chopped the broccoli up pretty fine because I knew if it looked at all like broccoli my grandson wouldn't even look at it. I only added about 1/2 cup.
@JoyfulOne (6243)
That sounds real good! I often take the last bits of the cereal and add it in, but I never would have thought about nuts. Sometimes I add a hot dog sliced into thin little circles. My grandson likes that because it's like a surprise inside, I just do it because it stretches the hamburg. I do the same thing with the hamburger helpers, if it's only for myself, it's still a good meal even if it isn't the full pounds worth. That sure does save in the long run! Looking forwards to reading others entries here and seeing how they stretch their burger!
@deebomb (15348)
I don't think my grandson would like the hot dogs hidden in the meat loaf. He didn't find the broccoli or he would have had a fit. He was mad at the nuts as it was.
@Ldyjarhead (10162)
Good job! I've added stuff to meatloaf before too. I usually use the standard bread crumbs and oatmeal, but I've been known to sneak in some shredded carrots before too. The cereal was a great idea. I was out of bread crumbs a while back but I'm sure I had some cereal I could have used as a substitute.
@deebomb (15348)
I love meat loaf because you can make it so many different ways.
@ersmommy1 (12607)
There are alot of little tricks for stretching the food budget. One thing I do is use canned hormel ham in place of hamburger in spehgetti . If you fry it up it makes the sauce just as tasty. We hadn't gone to the grocery store the other night. I had a large bag of egg noodles. 1 can of the Hormel ham. 1 jar of tomato sauce. And half a bag of cheddar cheese. I cooked the noodles. Poured the sauce ham and cheese in. Baked it in the oven and POW! It got gobbled down. No left overs. How often can you say that?
@deebomb (15348)
Glad yor family like the ham and noodles. We don't eat any kind of pork so this won't do for us.
When ever I make meatloaf I always take the leftovers and crumble it up then use it in hamburger helper. It brings a different flavor to it and its very tasty.
@catjane (1036)
I use a southern recipe for making meatloaf and if you like a little heat, you'll love this! Just add jalepenos or habeneros to your mix....maybe one or two, make it as mild or as hot as you like it. My hubby loves it. I usually cover the top with BBQ sauce and lots of black pepper.
Just a helpful hint, but the lasagna hamburger helper seems to work best for this.