Smoking while pregnant

I have seen news stories about women smoking during pregnancy to decrease the weight of their baby. It seems these women think that will make for an easier birth. They do not seemed concerned about the health of the baby-just the state of their own body post-pregnancy. This just turns my stomach-what do you think about it?
@megs85 (3145)
I don't like to think that some people take up smoking only for that reason, its sickening, as a mother you put your childs needs and wants above your own. I did smoke during pregnancy but I tried evrything I could to stop and as it was I cut down to about two a day, not good but better :S... I was lucky not to tear or need an episiotomy, my son was seven and a half pound, so not too big, not too smal...just right, like the cereal lol... There is no way I would have taken up smoking to decrease his weight, I'd rather tear from one hole to the next then to intentionally expose my baby to further risk...
I used to smoke, but I managed to quit when I found out I was pregnant. I understand how difficult it can be to quit. It's really great you were able to cut down on smoking.
Well, I do not smoke so when I read something about a women smoking during pregrancy that turns my stomach as well. I know people are going to do what they please, but sometimes I would love to have them think about that baby they are carrying before they think about them and how they want to look or whatever the case may be. But that is only my opioion and everyone has there own so each there own I guess.
@Jshean20 (14367)
I would say that even if it did decrease the weight of the baby, it would be a bad idea.
@POOHGIRL (213)
i never smoked during my pregnancy that's whack
@ferryy (1083)
ohhh ... dont't do it , its dangerous