I thought it was fitting...

So I was surfing through discussions and came across one by a friend about poetry and Maya Angelou. It got me to thinking about one of her poems and recent events with a few friends of mine. I started thinking about all the stuff my friends had been going through and I though this poem was a bit fitting. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Still I rise You may write me down in history With your bitter, twisted lies, You may trod me in the very dirt But still, like dust, I'll rise. Does my sassiness upset you? Why are you beset with gloom? 'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells Pumping in my living room. Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high, Still I'll rise. Did you want to see me broken? Bowed head and lowered eyes? Shoulders falling down like teardrops. Weakened by my soulful cries. Does my haughtiness offend you? Don't you take it awful hard 'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines Diggin' in my own back yard. You may shoot me with your words, You may cut me with your eyes, You may kill me with your hatefulness, But still, like air, I'll rise. Does my sexiness upset you? Does it come as a surprise That I dance like I've got diamonds At the meeting of my thighs?Out of the huts of history's shame I rise Up from a past that's rooted in pain I rise I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide, Welling and swelling I bear in the tide. Leaving behind nights of terror and fear I rise Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear I rise Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, I am the dream and the hope of the slave. I rise I rise I rise. Maya Angelou I think many people can relate to this.. I know it's one of my favorites.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
This is one of my favorites of hers. As a teenager, I copied it lovingly into my journal after a particularly horrific entry, to remind myself when I read it later that I would get past that event, and that time, and the suffering.
it is an inspirational poem and it has helped me through a lot of trying times. I'm glad you were able to use it to help you get past such a time in your life too.
@rosey3223 (1569)
Man, that really is fitting in so many ways! I first heard this poem when I was just a teenager. When I first heard it, I was not aware of who wrote it...all I knew was that I loved it and that was how I felt. No matter what has happened in my life, I will rise above it all!! And so far, I have. Thank you for reminding me of this...you have no idea how much it means to me, and whether you know it or not what a wonderful friend you are.
You're welcome hun, and know that you are also truely loved and a great friend. I'm glad I could help you remember that no matter what happens you'll get through it and things will get better. You know that I'm always here for you if you need someone to vent to or just a shoulder to cry on even if it is only virtural.
@rosey3223 (1569)
Thank you, my dear friend. And the same DOES apply to you too you know. :))
@Riptide (2761)
This is an awesome poem and very fitting indeed. This is the first time I ever heard of it,but I absolutely love it! Very inspirational and encouraging! Thank You for posting this Angel :)
I've never seen this before but now I want to print it out and frame it and stick it on my wall. Thank you for posting this. And yes it is rather fitting in my world too.
@Ravenladyj (22937)
Still I Rise is one of my absolute favourite poems of hers and it was actually the first one I ever came across when I started down my road of healing from my past several yrs ago...Its beyond inspiring and actually is a fav among many survivors of abuse.....Hearing her recit her poems is just flooring...She does it with such passion and I have to say its mesmerizing to me... She is just SUCH an incredible woman!! I'd love to read her set of books on her life actually...I think there are six of them..Its like a biography series I guess you could say....