How to clean a 2 inch deep wool carpet without wrecking it?!

Any suggestions other than the obvious professional cleaning service would be welcome!
@owlwings (39753)
• Cambridge, England
That's a mighty deep pile! It depends a lot on how dirty it is, what the dirt is and how long it's been like that! I would say, first vaccuum it to remove loose dirt, then use a carpet shampoo to clean the fibres. Once dry, vaccuum again according to the instructions. If it's not a fitted carpet, it's best to take it up and work the loose muck out of it by bending and beating the back of it. Wool is OK with a hand-hot water, but steam would damage it. Soap flakes or a proprietary carpet shampoo will be unlikely to do any harm except to remove some natural oils from the wool. It depends on the carpet and how the fibres were processed in the first place.
Thanks for your answer, the carpet is white (nightmare!!). It's not really that dirty but my boyfriend has just given up smoking and the carpet smells of smoke. It's a fitted carpet so I can't take it up and I vacuum it every day anyway. I think I'm going to have to call in a professional who has insurance so if anything goes wrong, it's their fault!
@owlwings (39753)
• Cambridge, England
I think you are probably wise to call in professionals. First, they have the knowledge and experience, second they have chemicals that you can't buy over the counter (and the training and equipment to use them) and third (as you point out) they are insured, so if something goes wrong they will fix it! The cost will be far less than a new carpet and you will likely have one that is as good as new! Congratulations to your BF on giving up smoking! I hope that he keeps it up!
@weemam (13377)
I bought myself a steam cleaner and this would be perfect for it , I do my wool rug with it , hoover first then stem clean takes all odours away too xx
@weemam (13377)
i think you need to vacuum it, and use carpet shampoo to clean it, 2 inch deep carpet is hard to clean than those are not too thick. deep sitted dirt and dust hide inside.