Something Old, Something New

@Modestah (11195)
Are there any new varieties you will try planting this year? is it a new strain of an old favorite - or something altogether new for you? Are you excited about it? What oldies will you definately be bringing back again this year? Were they "new to you" last year and you were so impressed that you will add them to the normal repertoire? or is it something that you have just always grown?
@byfaithonly (10716)
We're adding loffas this year. They will have to be started from seed but hoping to get a nice crop - this will be something uncommon in Michigan. We, my ex-husband and I, did grow them 20 years ago down in Texas but it was much warmer for a longer period of time there.
@Modestah (11195)
wow, interesting. will you be growing it for the fibre or??? are the squash of the loofah actually edible?
@byfaithonly (10716)
Never tried eating them - will be for the fibres and hopefully add to the collection of arts and crafts. I saw a show on HGTV a month or so ago where a lady decorated them, they were darling. But also great for bathing and people go for most anything that is 'home grown'.
I grew luffas for many years....and the end result is so worth it! Gave bath kits with them for many years. I'm jealous, enjoy them.
@coolseeds (3925)
I'm sticking with the old. Strobolanthes, Passiflora, Brugmansia, Coreopsis, Iris, Sedum, Phlox, Dendranthemum and some others that I do not remember right not. I have a patch of Mirabalis that I started about 7 years ago. I culled the colors I didn't want and have had a nice magenta Mirabalis the past 5 years.
Have you tried an old favourite...Dame's Rocket (aka Sweet Rocket)? The aroma is outstanding. Is your climate such that you can leave your Brugs & Passiflora outdoors? Another one that I grow for it's many properties is Echinacea! I tend to stick to the oldies, cause it's my way of revolting against gene manipulation.
@coolseeds (3925)
You have to bring Brugmansia inside for the winter where I live. I like Echinacea. I am more familiar with Latin names. When you say rockets do you mean Columbine?