Heirlooms (seeds and things)

@Modestah (11195)
What heirloom piece has been passed down through the ages in your family ? how old is it? how many generations has it traveled? is it now in your possession or will it be some day, or will it go to a sibling? my father's brother has most all the heirlooms from that side of the family, and I find myself resentful at times because when he goes it is his children that will get it all - and my brother and myself will not have any such things... one thing that upset me is a very old flag that has been in the family for generations and has been flown in battle and has the musket damage to prove it - well my uncle put it up to auction... it is not only a family heirloom, it is a museum piece.. selling to the highest bidder (much out of my range and all to his own profit) was low in my opinion. He should have first offered it to family to purchase if he was desperate - and secondly he could have given it to a museum for all to enjoy. something I probably won't understand so may as well "get over it"
@gandatwo (603)
Oh Modestah,I can well imagine your disappointment regaring flag,however let me pose a scenario to you.If your house were involved in a diaster,your brother and the flag were in same,which would you prefer to be saved,the flag or your brother? Years ago my husbands family owned a very expensive piece of art,and the same conflicts arose.The painting was sold for a generous ammount of monies, soon all continued on with family life.I think one must ask "Is it worth it?" Yes hubby and I have passed on a couple of family heirlooms to Grandchildren,it would be nice to continue with the tradition as intended,they have been passed so it is now the descision of these Granchildren wether to keep the tradition going.We very possibly will not be around to witness regardless..lol..A friend is going through this at the moment,her mother has recently passed,she in turn has been given the wedding picture in gilded frame,through tradition has being passed onto the eldest daughter,the arguments have already started. I think you have sumed it up perfectly with your last three words. I do hope you brighten up soon and you can resolve this issue within. Cheers
@Modestah (11195)
Oh I am fine with it - just a bit disappointed that it did not remain in the family - you know? to us it seemed as though it was a family piece and not his personal own - even if he did have it with him physically. my children will not see it. but, it is still just a thing and things come and go - as we see in oreo's post above you, thank you for your thoughtful answer!
@Bluepatch (2481)
• Trinidad And Tobago
I know how you feel. My grandmother was a French Creole and I once saw a ring with French Revolution Emblems in her wardrobe. That disappeared years ago. My uncle had a letter from a nobleman in Europe I never saw that also disappeared. My family has a family tree that is the most difficult thing in the world for me to see. Somebody else always has it. And they're not around then. Try and not let it frustrate you.
@villageanne (8579)
I have my Grandmothers jewelry. I will be passing it down to my daughters. I wish I had more things that were passed down but my mom seems to want to keep everything. LOL
@byfaithonly (10716)
I agree with you and would also be very upset - the flag certainly should have been offered to family first but some people all they care about is the almighty dollar :( With my 'mixed' past I really don't have anything of any great age but my step-mom made sure each of us girls got something that had belonged to her grandfather, pieces of glassware. I also have a candy dish that was a wedding gift to my grandparents when they got married. Special to me and hopefully someday to my kids.
@jillhill (37354)
My older sister ended up with a bunch of stuff use other three didn't have any chance of getting. But what I got I am happy with. I have my grandmother's wedding dress...and it will be passed down to one of my daughters..the other will get my grandmother's dishes. It's not that many generations but still in all they are things I love! They will not be sold. You have a right to be upset..that was crappy of him!