What do you use for mulch

@Modestah (11192)
around your vegetables, do you use a mulch as a means of weed and/or pest control? what do you use?] plastic wood chips cardboard are you pleased with the results? I know some folks that use old carpet and carpet remnants with good results - but I wonder how healthy that is for the soil as it starts to break down. anyone familiar with the use of carpeting for mulch? (not chopped up but laid down between rows or slit and laid around the plant stem)
@ersmommy1 (12600)
My husband cuts the lawns. The front and back. The clippings go into the mower bag. When the bag is full hew uses that fore mulch material. Then the bag goes back on and he continues the process. Seems to work pretty well. I am sure it isn't what most would do. But hubby is happy with it.
@Modestah (11192)
sounds like a great solution - in expensive :) readily available, saves trying to dispose of the waste, becomes a soil enhancer as it breaks down.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Another good one I do in the fall are leaves..I place leaves around my plants in the fall and by the time it is ready for planting, I have decomposed leaves in my garden. Not only cuts down on weeds, but very good for the soil..
@Modestah (11192)
Ah! we have done this too - well sort of, my son will mix fall leaves in with rabbit droppings and make a leafy ploop soup that he will put out and around the plants as an over winter ground amendment.
Oh well you are one step better off than I with the rabbit droppings..:)
Thanks for the BR...:)
@coolseeds (3921)
I own a landscaping company so I use a lot of mulch from flower beds. It is great. My clients pay me to remove and replace the old mulch. Then I spread it areas between plants and rows. I don't use it where it isn't aesthetically pleasing. If I don't use it some where then it goes into the compost pile.
@peavey (16640)
I use lawn clippings, too. I have used newspaper in the past, but it has to be weighed down with dirt or something. It's good for the soil as it decomposes, but takes a long time to do that.
I keep the weeds down by putting on other weeds that I have chopped or pulled on the path between the plants. Also when we have vegetable waste we put them as mulch as that will be broken down (by the earthworms) into good garden soil. Even now we are putting our vegetable scraps on the garden to help improve the soil. When the garden is ready to turn over I will be putting on a thick layer of peat moss that will enrich the soil and hopefull will delay the weeds from sprouting, it will also make the weeds (that do come up) easier to pull and to use them as mulch.