Weekend from the twilight zone
February 26, 2008 10:11pm CST
Well I have had a heck of a weekend and a crazy start to my week. We went around this yard tearing out everything to start over as the last owners didn't do anything around here for the 10 years they owned. It was a very busy weekend then on Sunday the real fun started. Sunday evening my husband went out to go up to the store for a few things when he started my van the battery blew up. No major damage we needed a few new cables, and of course a new battery so he called in to work and took the day off, he car is broken down and needs new wheel bearings. My dad came in and helped to fix it, Chevy likes to hide things under their hoods, the battery in my van sits under the man fuse box and a hoard of wires, the side support for the engine compartment and the shroud for that side of the compartment. It took the 2 of them 2 hours to do the work. While this was going on I was taking care of some business for my husbands company and that went well but I found out that once again the BC health care system lost us in their paperwork and we aren't in their system yet for medication coverage, it has been a year of this with them I have sent the papers in 4 times and have copies of the receipts from Canada post to prove I have sent it to them. This morning I finally got on health cares system. This afternoon I set up a few appointments for my grandmother with health care non of which my dad can make so I have to take care of that for him. While I was setting appointments up I lit a fire in the wood stove about 5 minutes later a neighbor showed up at the door, my chimney was on fire. As the fire wasn't bad I got the kids out with her, called the fire department while I was on the phone with them I got the dogs out, which was a little work as the old girl refused to get out, found the cat box and put the 3 boys in it and got them out then I grabbed my girl cat and took her out in my arms. When the fire truck arrived the air brakes of course made noise which panicked the girl and I lost several layers of skin to her. The fire was out in no time and there was no damage to the house, my floors got real dirty but that was it. The kids where upset but they seem fine now. I need to bring in a chimney cleaner again, I just had them here 4 months ago, to inspect and clean the chimney, and wood stove. I am almost afraid of what else this week holds for me. I have a big business deal to close this week and I am almost wanting to cancel the appointment and reschedule it for a later date. Life is a wonderful thing so full of crazy turns but I just don't want crazy I want normal quiet uneventful just for a little while so I can catch up.
• United States
4 Mar 08
Well this was posted 6 days ago so I do hope that this week has went alot better then the last. You were very lucky as you say that your neighbor was very alert. Alot of people don't even take the time to notice things about them. Know how cold it can be without heat. We ran out of heat(we heat with kerosene)and didn't have any funds to buy anymore so last few days we have done without. I tried heating with a toaster oven which worked in the small room we had but now I think I ruined my toaster overn but better then freezing I guess. Well, I do hope that you will get your uneventful life.. I know that is what I prefer also..
4 Mar 08
Thins have been crazy around here but at least they have been uneventful. normal life crazy I can handle. I hope things get better for you around your place. May I suggest getting a space heater, they are only like $20 at a hardware store and it would save your appliances and reduce the fire risk. Take care.
• United States
5 Mar 08
I know it that it was a risk that is why I didn't go to bed but sit next to it and watched it. Also it only runs 15 minutes at a time. I don't think I would have done it though if my little sister hadn't been here. I would have piled on the blankets and comforters and stayed in bed all covered up. Probably been warmer.. We will be buying a small heater soon just have to wait for some money since husband isn't working much right now.
28 Feb 08
Thank you gabs, I hope my week get better. Today was cold in my house as the wood stove is out for now and we have no other form of heat except in the kids room, so their rooms are warm but the rest is about 14 degrees. I went to see the lady that warned me of the fire today to thank her and give her a card and we spent over an hour with her and her husband. They are a very nice Germany couple, he played chess with my oldest for a long time. Very nice people and I am very lucky that she was alert yesterday.