Job Title: GRANDPARENTS, Job Description: SPOILER

@ruthinian (2311)
My step-son is kinda brat. He gets everything he wants when he wants them. His father is having a hard time with his whims because his parents are always to the rescue. He said... they turned the boy into a little monster. His parents said that their job is... to spoil their grandchildren. And it is my husband's job... to discipline them.
@ketybhagat (4125)
There is only one thing your husband can do. Tell the grandparents firmly that if they want to see their grandson regularly, then they have to live by the rules set by him. I know it is hard on grandparents and your husband, but then it is better to be firm in order to be kind. I believe the parents stay separately from you all. If not, then he will just have to be stricter and make the son give back things there and then. That should give them a clear picture of how serious your husband is.
@ruthinian (2311)
Here's the thing. We live in my husband's parents. This is their house. Get the picture? I am only an immigrant from a 3rd world country and sometimes they don't even understand what I am saying. My in-laws actually are the ones running the show. So we can't do anything about it because we are transients here. Sad huh.
@cheongyc (5075)
It's not uncommon for such phenomena. Usually grandparents will spoil their grandchildren, because they love children and they remind them of their own children (now are the parents) when they were young. So, we should understand and tolerate such phenomena, and shouldn't get mad at the old people (who we will become one day). Instead, we should find ways to discipline the children smartly, without being spoil by their grandparents.