Is it possible for a dog to be spiteful?

We have this puppy, well he is almost 6 months old now, and every time we leave him alone he eats something of mine. Not my husbands or my kids, just mine and it is usually a book I am currently reading. He climbs up on the night stand to get them and rips the pages out so I cant finish the book. Yesterday he took one of my dolls off of the shelf and chewed all her hair. I think he is mad at me for leaving him alone, is this even possible, or does he just figure boss lady isnt home I can do whatever I want.
LOL... I love your topic question.:P But no, I doubt a dog will be spiteful to someone who treats him right. The way he goes gnawing at everything... well, I think he is just curious. :PP
I would agree if he chewed everyone elses stuff too, but it is just mine. Kind of like I will show you for leaving me alone. Reminds kind of a child you leave at daycare and they scream until they know you cant hear them anymore.
Actually, if you say that he only chew your things in particular, I suspect he likes you the most. Yes, like, not hate.:)
Lucky me lol thanks
@deebomb (15322)
I think that both dogs and cat can and will be spiteful. Our cat was kept in the basement with me and didn't like my daughter-in-law. If by chance she got up stairs she would poo in the bathroom up there. she never pooed while she was down here with me. Of course my daughter-in-law didn't like her and would throw things at her and she know that the woman didn't like her. I think I would get a doggie cage and when you left put the dog in there with some safe things for him to chew on.
I have thought about crate training him, my mother does that with hers, but I really dislike that. I will have to keep it in the back of my mind though. Thanks
@deebomb (15322)
My daughter is doing this with her new puppy and she likes to go in the crate for her daytime naps. This way the other dog and cat will leave her lone. She is also given her toys that she is allowed to chew on in there. Makes life easier on everyone even the dog
@lightningd (1041)
That is what I refer to as separation anxiety. Our big dog, Diddles used to do things like that when he felt he wasn't getting enough attention, or we would be gone all day. He is an outside dog, so he could be left outside. When we would leave to go to town, we would come home and find the hoses chewed to a million pieces. He only seemed to mess with them when we would be gone for part of the day. If we were home, he didn't bother them. He would usually go get branches from trees or corn stalks and drag up to the yard to tear up. But if we left, he chewed the hoses. He knew we used the hoses on a daily basis for filling the water tanks. He saw us use them. I think it was his way of trying to get our attention. It got quite expensive, but he did finally outgrow that stage when he was almost 3!!!
Ugh 3? That is a long ways away lol. Thanks for your input that sounds pretty accurate to my dog as well.
It actually varies with age. Some breeds get through the puppy chew stage by a year, some are by 2 years. It really depends on the kind of dog. Good luck!!
This is your puppy's way of letting you know he doesn't like when you leave him by himself. The only real way that I know of to solve this is to pick a room for him to be in while you are not home and make it to where he can't get out of that room until you get home. Then when you get home show him some good attention so that he knows you missed him. Other than doing that, I'm not sure what you could do.
I tried leaving him in just the bedroom, and he chewed all my books that were on my nightstand, despite having his chew toys in there with him. Thats what makes me think it is spite, he had to actually make an effort to get those books of mine and he only chewed the one I was currently reading.
I did find this in a dog care book I had. It stated that dogs do not have the capability of being spiteful. Bologna!!!! My 1/2 Boxer 1/2 Collie was the exact same way. Even up until he was a little over 1 yr old(when he disappeared) he was very spiteful. I took bully with me a lot, especially during summer, to the river and my parents etc. But when I didn't, and he was wanting to go, I suffered his wrath when I came back. Even if I just went to the local store which is almost within site. He would chew my patio door blind or a box of macaroni that he could get to, or a shoe, ANYTHING that was mine. Only once, did he chew anything of my boyfriends. So yes, I believe with all my heart that a pet can be very spiteful, contrary to what you may read in a book!
Hopefully it is just a stage and he will outgrow it, thanks so much for the input.
@rockvixen (894)
It could go both ways, if he is attatched to you he will do that because he either wants all the attention from you or he feels abandonded. Or both. You may want to train him not to do that, talk to him. Animals do enjoy being spoken to, eventually they will understand you. Crazy as it seems, but it's true. My mother in law's dog was the same way, and then after awhile she played with him, talked to him and he eventually calmed down.
Well he is very attached to me. I am the primary care giver, much like a child he wants to be with me all the time. I do talk to him, not sure if he cares or even knows what I am saying. Hopefully it is soemthing he will outgrow. Good thing I am a stay at home mom, I might not have a home left if i worked outside the home.